Is Hip Hop Promoting Demasculinizing The black Male?

Options
13»

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    blackbloc wrote: »
    i agree , I feel like media has been trying to soften and make black men effeminate for decades now, but now black people are buying into it . what do you guys think ?

http://youtu.be/IyawgMjqnT8

This video.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    The skirt wearing needs to GO

Whomever rocks that ?

zulu-war-dance-michele-burgess.jpg

So, anyone want to ask this type of dude, "Take off your fur print tank top and skirt, you look like a ? ? up the culture!"?

Wearing a skirt doesn't make you a ? . Acting like a ? makes you a ? . He can be ? , tranvestite, whatever, that's his business but I just feel like this is some cheap publicity ? people pull to get a buzz now. Ellen Page came out as ? , all thse new draft picks are coming out as ? ... just gives them more column inches to fill selling stories and giving out soundbites.

I feel like you can be cool talking about how you're living and put your feelings out there without having to talk about your private or sex life. Keep your personal and private business that way, I don't need to know if the person who designed my shoes sucks ? , eats cooch or does both. Considering fashion, acting and the arts have long been the place for the ? of folk so it's not new or avoidable anyway.

Also hot pink is actually a very masculine colour in Asia, particularly Thailand. It's a case of cultural traditions varying:
    http://visual.ly/what-colors-mean-different-cultures

Ima need you ? to stop bringing this up as.en.example these ? retain practices from a time where pants where not created stop bringing this ? up

Skirts are for ? b
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    Not NWA doesn't necessarily mean ? .

You see they marketing everything towards bitchmade ? like lookin for a way out the backdoor of manhood
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Kalecrunch
    Kalecrunch Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    “To the average white person, a strong black man is scary,”...“So what do we do? Let’s feminize him, emasculate him, sissify him, to make us feel more comfortable.”
    -Lord Jamar
  • Ear2DaSt
    edited March 2014
    Options
    ^smh
    partly true
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think it's just about these rappers wearing dresses and skirts.. Dudes are out here straight acting like women! The difference between Prince and them ? back then vs cats now is. Prince didn't act like no woman. This is why people felt like he could take yo girl, same as a dude like Dre 3000. Dudes now are wearing dresses, rocking Beyonce hair talking about surfboard and ? . That's why dudes are mad because the stars are wearing that ? , and it's trickling down to social media and got dudes straight up on some feminine ? .
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rapmusic wrote: »
    Dudes now are wearing dresses, rocking Beyonce hair talking about surfboard and ? .

Wait .. What?!?!?
  • rapmusic
    Options
    Dudes now are wearing dresses, rocking Beyonce hair talking about surfboard and ? .

Wait .. What?!?!?
    I'm talking about that vine ? .
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "hip hop" should not be the representation of black males or our masculinity. nor should "prison culture".
    prisoners and rappers make up a small proportion of blacks. too small to be a representation of anything. they are also controlled by whites. this is the true issue.
  • *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think it's just about these rappers wearing dresses and skirts.. Dudes are out here straight acting like women! The difference between Prince and them ? back then vs cats now is. Prince didn't act like no woman. This is why people felt like he could take yo girl, same as a dude like Dre 3000. Dudes now are wearing dresses, rocking Beyonce hair talking about surfboard and ? . That's why dudes are mad because the stars are wearing that ? , and it's trickling down to social media and got dudes straight up on some feminine ? .
    You're right, he acted like a ? man. Now that I think about it, i don't think it was an act.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Part of the problem is that Hip Hop has created a standard of being this super tough guy that never takes an L and gets all the girls. Hip Hop has brainwashed us into thinking we have to be alpha males, super males. Some people, especially those that didn't have a father figure or a positive male role model growing up don't know what it means to be an alpha male, or never had the genes to be an alpha male in the first place.

According to the rules of hip hop, if somebody disses you, you have to diss em back. You have to carry a gun in case anybody messes with you, you have to have a lot of tattoos and look like a tough guy. Its those images that we fall victim to and for those of us that are unlucky enough to be born in the hood, that ideology leads strait to prison.

It seems like its one extreme or the other, you either have to be Mr tough guy and if you're not Mr tough guy then you must be a ? .

Yeah. Chuck D warned these fellas about worshipping the super thug ? from the early 90s onwards. That ? turned to cancer that made a lot of lost black men into savages and committing crimes to "keep it real." Now, we dealing with feminized dudes getting massive exposure. Our communities went from MLK and Malcolm X to a bunch of ? and demons harping ills to get them props from other lost people. Rap is Dave Chappelle status these days.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »
    too many beta's runnin around america these days....just make it easier for us alphas

The so called alpha male is getting ? on in every spectrum. Even these young girls are more attracted to the feminine ass dudes and clowning the masculine dudes.

• rapmusic
    Options
    It's crazy cause you got dudes looking like women and women trying to look like tough dudes. Women are claiming to be bi sexual and fall in love with these Mannie Fresh looking ass women which got the man all confused. He don't know what the ? to look like these days. I mean look at the reactions when you see a super fine ass chick holding hands with some chick who looks like Allen Iverson or Lil Boosie and ? . Chicks be like I hate a feminine ass dude but love those dude chicks. I think this adds to the problem also with the fact that hiphop is reflecting the sign of the times. I went to the University of Georgia last Saturday for a workshop and was amazed at how out these guys are now. There were like 5 ? folks in the session and one dude was super out straight talking about is he single and ? ... A chick was in there with the iverson cornrows talking about her wife. I mean she wasn't super dudeish but she looked the part.
  • lordhonka2
    lordhonka2 Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man this thread could be a mile long. you wan this to stop be a father to your sons and a husband to you wife. at the core of this problem is the lack of a family unit. Its hard for single mother to raise men( not impossible) and its harder for girls to recognize a man when they have never seen a real one on a daily basis. if your son spends every single day with his mom he gonna have female traits There is nothing the "media" can do to make feminization of the black male ok if it dont already exist.

• Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lordhonka2 wrote: »
    Man this thread could be a mile long. you wan this to stop be a father to your sons and a husband to you wife. at the core of this problem is the lack of a family unit. Its hard for single mother to raise men( not impossible) and its harder for girls to recognize a man when they have never seen a real one on a daily basis. if your son spends every single day with his mom he gonna have female traits There is nothing the "media" can do to make feminization of the black male ok if it dont already exist.

kaneklapqo6.gif
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they put this thread on the frontpage
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Part of the problem is we automatically equate masculinity with gangsta ? . ? don't know how to be a man without tryna be gangsta.
  • onthafly
    edited April 2014
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    The skirt wearing needs to GO

Whomever rocks that ?

zulu-war-dance-michele-burgess.jpg

So, anyone want to ask this type of dude, "Take off your fur print tank top and skirt, you look like a ? ? up the culture!"?

Wearing a skirt doesn't make you a ? . Acting like a ? makes you a ? . He can be ? , tranvestite, whatever, that's his business but I just feel like this is some cheap publicity ? people pull to get a buzz now. Ellen Page came out as ? , all thse new draft picks are coming out as ? ... just gives them more column inches to fill selling stories and giving out soundbites.

I feel like you can be cool talking about how you're living and put your feelings out there without having to talk about your private or sex life. Keep your personal and private business that way, I don't need to know if the person who designed my shoes sucks ? , eats cooch or does both. Considering fashion, acting and the arts have long been the place for the ? of folk so it's not new or avoidable anyway.

Also hot pink is actually a very masculine colour in Asia, particularly Thailand. It's a case of cultural traditions varying:
    http://visual.ly/what-colors-mean-different-cultures

Why do people always make these arguments? We don't live in Thailand. We live in the U.S. and here skirts are for women. These dudes are knowingly choose to dress in a feminine manner. What other cultures do is irrelevant. What these people are doing is being done based on their own cultural standards and norms.

... because the US is a young country compared to most others? You heard the term historical precedent? Anything going on in America is a result of the people that migrated their forming a melting ? culturally. It is not the be all and end all of world culture, it's only a couple hundred years old. In America black people used to be for working and ? only but the culture changed for the most part, right? The idea of victimising ? people just for being ? and the way they dress is as prejudice as assuming someone is ? for wearing pink or that if you're a man in America, you can't wear certain things when there is the constitutional right to freedom of expression. So you live in the US, not Thailand? Fine. Then understand that the principles of the nation state in accordance with the constitution, itself having been reformed over time, basically defend the idea of freedom to wear what you want and say what you want. That is the established cultural standard as set out by US government legislation. You argue what other cultures do is irrelevant, which has can be proven to be ? right now everywhere from Korea to China to Crimea right now to the whole eurodance club sound on records for years now, and if that's your view, alright, but when your own country defends those principles and the idea of a cosmopolitan culture it undermines such a position particularly when that black man doesn't come across as lacking in masculinity to me if he's wearing a skinned animal pelt.

? ALL that ? you talking this is hip-hop and we don't support ? we are a form of counter culture. We have out own ideas of what manhood is. period end of story. All this ? you are talking about legislation and and nation states have nothing to do with hip-hop futher more black people in america are also a sub culture and we also don't really support this ? ? . But you ? never stop trying to convince us otherwise.

smdh at ? lettin hip hop form their idea of what manhood is. I guess that's what you have to turn to when you don't have a father to show you what man hood is. I just wish an older ? would have taught ya'll fatherless ? somethin.
  • onthafly
    Options

Those dude's are probably actual out of the closet ? . That's nothing new.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.