Fair or Foul: Increasing Number Of Men Pressured To Accept Realistic Standards Of Female Beauty

Options
Darth Sidious
Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
Increasing Number Of Men Pressured To Accept Realistic Standards Of Female Beauty
NEWS • Gender • News • ISSUE 50•13 • Apr 2, 2014

700.jpg?5614
More men are speaking out against the pervasive depictions of average women in the media, which have left them feeling demoralized and compelled to accept unwelcome ideals of beauty.

NEW YORK—Confronted on a regular basis with images of women who represent a diverse array of body types, a growing number of American men are reportedly feeling pressured to accept the increasingly realistic standards of female beauty now depicted in the media, social scientists confirmed this week.

“More and more, men today find themselves bombarded with un-retouched images, and with that comes the considerable mental burden of trying to reconcile what they see in these ads and magazines with their personal perceptions of beauty,” said sociologist Cliff Hillard, who studies attainable ideals of female attractiveness in the media and how they can create an overly realistic sense of what women ought to look like. “For most men, it’s very discouraging. Instead of seeing only rail-thin models, they’re now exposed to accurate representations of women whose proportions mimic those of actual human females.”

“Think about the average man flipping through a magazine that features pictures of women who haven’t had their cheekbones raised or their noses reshaped with Photoshop,” Hillard continued. “How is he supposed to feel when he sees something like that?”

Every day, according to Hillard, men are faced with “inescapable” displays of average-sized women, women who are representatively diverse in terms of race and ethnicity, and women who are not professional models. According to one recent study, the average man sees photographs of women without digitally exaggerated bust-to-waist ratios dozens of times per day on TV, billboards, and the sides of buses, which the findings suggest has a demoralizing effect on the male psyche and has been shown to negatively influence men’s self-esteem and mood the more often they view such images.

Hillard noted that major companies like Dove, H&M, and Ralph Lauren now use nontraditional models in their advertising campaigns, an increasingly popular trend that, according to the sociologists’ research, ultimately serves to make men feel upset and frustrated when the women in commercials don’t live up to their own personal fantasies.

“Nowadays I can’t even leave the house without seeing an ad featuring properly proportioned women of statistically normal weights,” said San Diego–based civil engineer Spencer DeLane, adding that some of the models’ bodies are “startlingly average.” “Sometimes I don’t even want to go online or turn on the television because I know I’ll see a regular, healthy-looking woman. Don’t these advertisers understand how deeply depressing that is for me?”

“It’s not fair to me, and it’s not fair to other men like me,” he continued. “Having to live with society’s expectations that I accept women just the way they are takes an enormous toll.”

In a recent USA Today poll, 87 percent of men said that in the past month they’d seen an ad that made them feel inadequate by challenging their conceptions of physical beauty. Within that group, 74 percent said they’d seen a model posing without makeup and 83 said they’d seen visible blemishes, with a further 62 percent reporting that they’d seen a model with slight wrinkles around her eyes that “could very easily have been digitally or surgically removed.”

Armed with mounting evidence that men can feel crushed under the heavy mental strain to appreciate all types of women, Hillard questioned the costs of depicting them in a sensible way that reflects their natural physical variance.

“Here you’ve got a generation of boys who will grow up looking at women in the media and seeing flaws here, flaws there, flaws everywhere—what are they supposed to think?” said Hillard, who noted that his 12-year-old son is just now beginning to objectify women and that such portrayals could grossly alter what he perceives as an idealized female form for the rest of his life. “That’s why it’s more important than ever to empower men so they can teach themselves to ignore these ads and images.”

“We men simply need to have conviction in our own ideas of what makes a woman beautiful,” he added.

Comments

• ring vhames
    ring vhames Members Posts: 75 ✭✭
    Options
    not reading all that...but whats wrong with using 'regular' women in ads?

on 2nd thought...this is a joke right?
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    This can't be a serious article.

Although as I think about it, I'm sure some people REALLY feel like this. So even though it's fake, not far from reality.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Must be a joke
  • Darth Sidious
    Options

Bruh, you are already lost, the advertisers got ya. Next thing you know your picking up shopping carts full of Dove soap.

dove_soap_girls.jpg

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That chick on the billboard can get the D, I don't know what's so discouraging about this
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smash the fat white chick in OP
  • Darth Sidious
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Must be a joke

Not to some, this ? is really happening outchea.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Must be a joke

It's an onion news article

According to one recent study, the average man sees photographs of women without digitally exaggerated bust-to-waist ratios dozens of times per day on TV, billboards, and the sides of buses, which the findings suggest has a demoralizing effect on the male psyche and has been shown to negatively influence men’s self-esteem and mood

I just imagine a man seeing a fat broad on the side of a bus then going home and hanging himself. This ? is hilarious
  • mryounggun
    Options

Bruh, you are already lost, the advertisers got ya. Next thing you know your picking up shopping carts full of Dove soap.

dove_soap_girls.jpg

Smash all 4 with no regrets *shrugs*
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1. I wouldn't call that "realistic". ? , whose reality ?

2. That's not what I want to see. They could atleast have attractive chicks up there.

I don't see why they gotta get stupid wit' it and go from one extreme to another. They could have stopped with the anorexic models and still not go as far as stretch-mark-bullet-scar chicks...

Ehh, ? it. Money talks. I guess they want that ugly realistic money.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    too many fat girls???
  • Darth Sidious
    Options
    Elrawd, yes it is satire but as with all good satire, there is a hint of truth to it.

What happens when women see fatter and fatter models? Green light to pack on the lbs.

Nah, not with diabetes and heart disease so rampant. I think a lot of women are giving up being thin and changing the game on the hotties.

They are saying 'No, your not a model, we are!'

girl-eating-cake_mcfats_com.jpg

I want a return to traditional american hotties. Miss me with all this 'fat' is the new 'hot' ? .

beach-bunny-swimwear-collection-2011.jpg

• 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kai wrote: »
    how are you gonna try and portray an Onion article as a legit thing?

although i do think that "realistic standards of beauty" thing is ?

Wait, that was an onion article ?

? , I gotta really start reading this ? .
  • mryounggun
    Options
    Elrawd, yes it is satire but as with all good satire, there is a hint of truth to it.

What happens when women see fatter and fatter models? Green light to pack on the lbs.

Nah, not with diabetes and heart disease so rampant. I think a lot of women are giving up being thin and changing the game on the hotties.

I want a return to traditional american hotties. Miss me with all this 'fat' is the new 'hot' ? .

I say this without any hyperbole...

I'd MUCH rather smash the 4 chicks in the picture than these three chicks, in terms of size. Especially this chick on the far right. What that ? I'ma do that that?!?
  • LUClEN
    Options

The Onion satirizes real issues. They just do it sarcastically.

I kind of saw this coming though. The obesity special interest groups were bound to fight back eventually.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »

I'd MUCH rather smash the 4 chicks in the picture than these three chicks, in terms of size. Especially this chick on the far right. What that ? I'ma do that that?!?

Ideally, you would reproduce with that.

Tall children > short children.
    Genetic predisposition for being lean > genetic predisposition for being fat.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meh, prefer real women and they come in various sizes.
  • mryounggun
    Options
    Elrawd wrote: »

Who the ? is considering genetic predispositions and genes and ? when they trying to ? something?
  • Darth Sidious
    Options

The Onion satirizes real issues. They just do it sarcastically.

I kind of saw this coming though. The obesity special interest groups were bound to fight back eventually.

Excellent Elrawd, yeah I didn't realize that GnS was trying to become a legitimate news entity like the New York Times.

Also as you stated, in general, thinner\taller people do tend to earn more. Case in point the models they featured were probably paid peanuts or cheeseburgers.

I_Beat_Anorexia_T-Shirt.jpg

• Darth Sidious
    Options

Who the ? is considering genetic predispositions and genes and ? when they trying to ? something?

He is saying 'ideally' and not just what is left in the bar at 2 AM which we would all probably do as well.

• LUClEN
    Options

Males and females. And maybe even the intersexes.

Standards of beauty are based at least in part on what is best for your kids. That's why women are so into tall guys and men are so into women with wide hips. They are features that are best for having and protecting the life of your kids. A lot of the time we aren't even aware that our tastes in ? partners are based on what kind of genetics these people have to pass down to kids.

• Darth Sidious
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Honestly mryounggun, your preference for the fatter women could indicate stress in your life. Men who are more stressed tend to gravitate to fatter women. Presumably because they look at them and are relieved they don't have to feed them anytime soon.

Fascinating stuff.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/08/09/why-stressed-out-men-prefer-heavier-women/
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

on 2nd thought...this is a joke right?

• mryounggun
    Options
    Honestly mryounggun, your preference for the fatter women could indicate stress in your life. Men who are more stressed tend to gravitate to fatter women. Presumably because they look at them and are relieved they don't have to feed them anytime soon.

Fascinating stuff.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/08/09/why-stressed-out-men-prefer-heavier-women/

Interesting, I guess. But here's the thing, I don't have a preference for bigger woman, I just have no interest in TINY women. Look how skinny those 3 ? are! Lol. You already know they got no ass, no ? (besides the one in the middle, she working with a lil something), baby thighs, etc. There is a middle group between the woman in the original post and those three chicks. So given a choice between those 3 chicks and the 4 in the Dove ad...I'll take the Dove ad.

Also, I'm so stress-free, it's scary. Lol