Has Hip-Hop Run Its Course?

Options
2»

Comments

• MoneyLuver
    MoneyLuver Members Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Troll thread. Damage the positive energy thread.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    felt like this a couple years back. you just gotta look in the right places, maybe get away from listening to hip hop for a while
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I see a lot of y'all acting like we have a lot of quality music, but I think your view or definition of quality depends on what kind of consumer you are.

To me, everything is on a curve. Once I've heard excellence, I can't mess with above average or average or worse. You know why? Because I could be using that time to listen to the better artist.
  • Lustchyld
    Lustchyld Members Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    hip hop ain't going nowhere
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    ? sleep deprived
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When Nas & Co. put down their mics for good

No more Wu
    No more Sean P
    No more Cube
    No more Jay, etc. etc

Then what?

I know Hip Hop still got some talented youngsters
    But without the 90s generation?, Hip Hop seems doomed

Because the culture already lost influential elements (a long time ago)
    Graffiti became Twitter
    DJing became Youtube-ing
    Breaking became Swagging
    And rap?, rap became ?

Real MCs, the last Mohicans. what's the difference..

• TrueGodHS
    TrueGodHS Members Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    It all depends on where you look I guess. If you only believe that the music displayed in the media and mainstream is all that's out here and is a sign of the genre as a whole, then I'd see the point. The music in the commercial sense has become formulaic and stale for the most part. There's still some good music being made in the mainstream world, it's just that there's no true passion/soul behind the ? .

However, if you listen to the abundance of dope indie artists, ? on the underground, or ? teetering the mainstream line, you'll find the genre is alive and well. But, the majority of hip hop "fans" I see, only look to the mainstream for a basis of the whole genre, which is limiting. I knew this ? who kept complaining about hip hop like "? ain't rapping about ? these days", I asked him "yo, you don't ? with Big KRIT, Phonte, Kendrick, even that ? ass Jay Electronica?", this ? went "I only know about Kendrick, the ? are them other dudes?". This is when I realized the issue with a lot of people. When Jay Electronica was trending on Twitter the other day, the responses ranged from "who is this Jay Electronica guy, he's pretty good", or "I haven't heard of him before". A lot of people don't know how Big KRIT is either, and I'd blame them on just not being invested in the culture. As far as I'm concerned, hip hop got the tools to never run its course if we actually start uplifting the artists with skill and passion behind the music. Media want you to only see the ? music or the controlled "dope music", ? that.
  • MoneyLuver
    MoneyLuver Members Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    TrueGodHS wrote: »
    It all depends on where you look I guess. If you only believe that the music displayed in the media and mainstream is all that's out here and is a sign of the genre as a whole, then I'd see the point. The music in the commercial sense has become formulaic and stale for the most part. There's still some good music being made in the mainstream world, it's just that there's no true passion/soul behind the ? .

However, if you listen to the abundance of dope indie artists, ? on the underground, or ? teetering the mainstream line, you'll find the genre is alive and well. But, the majority of hip hop "fans" I see, only look to the mainstream for a basis of the whole genre, which is limiting. I knew this ? who kept complaining about hip hop like "? ain't rapping about ? these days", I asked him "yo, you don't ? with Big KRIT, Phonte, Kendrick, even that ? ass Jay Electronica?", this ? went "I only know about Kendrick, the ? are them other dudes?". This is when I realized the issue with a lot of people. When Jay Electronica was trending on Twitter the other day, the responses ranged from "who is this Jay Electronica guy, he's pretty good", or "I haven't heard of him before". A lot of people don't know how Big KRIT is either, and I'd blame them on just not being invested in the culture. As far as I'm concerned, hip hop got the tools to never run its course if we actually start uplifting the artists with skill and passion behind the music. Media want you to only see the ? music or the controlled "dope music", ? that.
    Weazel wrote: »
    When Nas & Co. put down their mics for good

No more Wu
    No more Sean P
    No more Cube
    No more Jay, etc. etc

Then what?

I know Hip Hop still got some talented youngsters
    But without the 90s generation?, Hip Hop seems doomed

Because the culture already lost influential elements (a long time ago)
    Graffiti became Twitter
    DJing became Youtube-ing
    Breaking became Swagging
    And rap?, rap became ?

Real MCs, the last Mohicans. what's the difference..

Anybody see what I just did?
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Yes
    Yep it's over, once white people take over, black folks move along, when white people took over rock ? started lookin at the blues/rock like it was old school and played out, they prolly seen it as they parents music, compared to soul and funk which ? was startin to develop it was new and hip, black people have always been trendy, we have a right to though because we start the trends

genres do not control the mainstream or even last forever, hip hop ran from the mid 80s almost dead in 2014, rock ran from the 50s to the late 90s early 00s and it basically started incorporating elements of hip hop in the early 90s

lemme drop some unrelated knowledge real quick, "rock and roll" was black slang back in the early 20th century, im sure yall know it was slang for havin sex, the same way we say "smash" today, they also had a phrase they called "rockin the blues", ? we still use the word "rock" today, let me "rock" them shoes", "we rocked that ? ", "? that ? was rockin", some 90s ? , "im gon rock yo world" foh all this ? ours, hell we use the word rock in everyday language more than crackers and dont even listen to the music, thats how you know its our culture

yea doe, hip hop over wit and i cant wait till it die so i can see whats next, even the turn up ? is dead wack right now
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Also saying 'there's quality music still being made' doesn't mean that the genre hasn't run its course. There's still quality jazz records being made doesn't mean that jazz hasn't too ran its course conventionally speaking.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Young ? move that dope
    Young ? move that dope
  • Rebblez
    Rebblez Members Posts: 10
    Options
    Of course it has

just look how dry this forum is
  • Rebblez
    Rebblez Members Posts: 10
    Options
    nah just playin'
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    and where is this quality music you ? speak of? hip hop is trash right now real hip hop and turn up alike its all trash right now, we made it remix was the best thing i heard since whenever and its just a freestyle
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rebblez wrote: »
    Of course it has

just look how dry this forum is

That's another thing, just looking at the first page of the reason over half the threads are indirectly or directly about rappers from the 90's. 2pac Jay and Nas could probably have their own sub-forums on here.
  • nineties
    nineties Members Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I don't care if you're an OG in the game or a young buck selling mixtapes.... Hang up the mics and find a day job or master an instrument and create an entirely new sound.

lmao
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    No
    Mainstream hip hop has become a bunch of grown ass untalented men gossiping like ? .

Go underground
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    I like alot of responses on here, but to the trolls go find something else to do.

This is 2014 and there are plenty of resources to find and listen to new music. It's not about the art in the mainstream anymore...actually never was but at least in the 90's there was a balance of messages. If you can't find quality music yet still watch BET I can't ? with you, because you're letting life pass you by.