Dave Chapelle Block Party (Soundtrack)

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in The Reason
I've been bumping the soundtrack recently but I just got finished watching Dave Chapelle's Block Party on DVD which came out in 2005. For those that haven't seen it, it's not really a movie, its a documentary about a block party that he's throwing in Brooklyn. At the beginning of the movie he goes to Dayton Ohio and gives away free tickets.

Anyway, here's who performs in the movie and soundtrack

The Roots
Talib Kweli
Common
Mos Def
Erykah Badu
Jill Scott
Big Daddy Kane
Kool G Rap
John Legend
Dead Prez
The Fugees
Kanye West

For everybody out there that says that all rap is/was all about negativity, Dave Chapelle shut down that argument. Its time for somebody to make a similar movie and soundtrack with this generations positive, conscious rappers unfortunately, I don't think there are any.

Comments

• Kalecrunch
    Kalecrunch Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Soundtrack[edit]Dave Chappelle's Block Party

A compilation of "music from and inspired by" the film was released on March 14, 2006.

The album was released by Geffen Records, and produced by Corey Smyth for Blacksmith Music Corp and Questlove.
    Dead Prez – "Hip Hop"
    Black Star – "Definition"
    Jill Scott – "Golden"
    Mos Def – "Universal Magnetic"
    Talib Kweli feat. Erykah Badu – "The Blast"
    Common feat. Erykah Badu & Bilal – "The Light"
    The Roots feat. Big Daddy Kane & Kool G. Rap – "Boom!"
    Erykah Badu – "Back in the Day"
    Jill Scott – "The Way"
    Mos Def – "UMI Says"
    The Roots feat. Erykah Badu & Jill Scott – "You Got Me"
    Black Star – "Born & Raised"

• xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah I saw that movie in theaters then went and got the soundtrack right after. That live version of Hip Hop by Dead Prez went hard
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yup I have the dvd. Haven't watched it in years, might have to
  • Kalecrunch
    Options
    His shirt says 'FREE TIBET.' Ain't no ? in Tibet.” - Dave Chappelle
  • Kalecrunch
    Options
  • TrueGodHS
    TrueGodHS Members Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I loved the film. I thought it was dope that Chappelle used his fame and opportunities to showcase actual DOPE hip hop music. The importance of Chappelle to pop culture will be tremendously slept on, but the film to me was a showcase of some of the dopest artists ever that didn't have that mainstream look. Might have to watch this joint later.
  • MoneyLuver
    MoneyLuver Members Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yup I remember this. Chappelle need to do a inteeview or sum'n. Arsenio back on
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Went to the show to see this
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    So can we all agree that this was one of the top 10 soundtracks/albums of all time?
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still bumping the soundtrack. This is a collection of my favorite artists.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seen the movie but off this thread might cop the soundtrack ..
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Just to compare numbers, I went to Box Office Mojo.com They have the first week stats for Monuments Men (remember that movie that came out a few months ago directed by George Clooney. They were trying to recover stolen paintings from the Nazis) and first week stats for Dave Chapelle's Block Party

Monuments Men - #2 rank, 3,083 theaters : Worldwide: $155,118,847

Dave Chapelle's Block Party - #7 rank, 1,200 theaters: Worldwide: $12,051,924

As you can see Dave Chapelle's movie did modest numbers compare to the Hollywood blockbuster Monuments Men. I saw both Monuments Men and Dave Chapelle's Block Party and I liked Dave Chapelle's movie better.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Just to compare numbers, I went to Box Office Mojo.com They have the first week stats for Monuments Men (remember that movie that came out a few months ago directed by George Clooney. They were trying to recover stolen paintings from the Nazis) and first week stats for Dave Chapelle's Block Party

Monuments Men - #2 rank, 3,083 theaters : Worldwide: $155,118,847

Dave Chapelle's Block Party - #7 rank, 1,200 theaters: Worldwide: $12,051,924

As you can see Dave Chapelle's movie did modest numbers compare to the Hollywood blockbuster Monuments Men. I saw both Monuments Men and Dave Chapelle's Block Party and I liked Dave Chapelle's movie better.

Most holloywood block busters be ? movies to me, I like more independent films myself
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Those are really good numbers if you take in the fact that it wasn't over the top production budget ...... doubt he spent 4 million to make it.

Gotta get the DVD to see the Fugees reunion cause it's not on the soundtrack
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    MECCA1000 wrote: »
    Those are really good numbers if you take in the fact that it wasn't over the top production budget ...... doubt he spent 4 million to make it.

Gotta get the DVD to see the Fugees reunion cause it's not on the soundtrack

Lauryn killed it. I mean, I always knew she could sing but she really knocked it out the park when she sang "Killing Me Softly"