Do you, as a black person, love America?

Options
P-Dogg77
P-Dogg77 Members Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭
Easy question. Do you love America? Do you consider this place to be your country and would you fight for America?
Have you ever felt proud to be American if you now consider yourself such?

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i do and i do consider it home.
    any black person outside of africa can not really say the country they are born in is home.it is what they have come to know as home.

we are all behind enemy lines.

do i like how it racist it is,no

but that is not something you can escape anywhere...even in africa
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have lived in both America and Canada, and I love neither one of those ? countries.

• Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes to all of the above

Not above myself and my own self interests tho
  • 1800skypager
    1800skypager Members Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How do you love a landmass?
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited April 2014
    Options
    The piece of land or the mfs who stole it and enslaved my ancestors?
  • 1800skypager
    edited April 2014
    Options
    P-Dogg77 wrote: »
    How do you love a landmass?

How do you stay stupid enough to not be able to understand that the question pertains to the love of America as a nation, not a land?

You said the word place in the op... so obviously you are talking about a location on the globe, a landmass...
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @ on us far too long to make me say I love it like that.

This country has its positives. But when it comes to the treatment of black people, I find it hard give positive comments. We're in a state of regression in this country. Efforts our ancestors sacrificed for us, just to live equally are currently being erased. So how can we expect to love a country, that shows lil love for us?
  • Manc
    Manc Members Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've lived uk, canada, and now the usa I couldn't find employment in the later two countries so I pretty much sacrificed free healthcare and free quality education for a well paying job and cheap cost of living so although i do not have an ounce of patriotism towards this country I love where I'm at and I don't believe I'd have the same standard of living in the other countries.
  • P-Dogg77
    Options
    Seeing that the African-American culture is pretty unique and different from most general African cultures, there is no point in claiming Africa as our countries anymore now that we have no more ties with Africa other than our skin tones.

If you ever served overseas in the military and had white friends/coworkers, did you self-identify as American too, as having a shared common nationality with them when being abroad?

Do you consider institutionalized racism as a fair exchange for freedom and more vast range of limits compared to living in other black countries?

• MD_PROPER
    MD_PROPER Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Love America? No. Consider this my country? Yes, since my ancestors built it. Would I fight for it? No. Proud to be an American? No. Not ashamed either. It's one of those things that just 'is'.
    ^^^Couldn't have said it any better myself.
  • 1800skypager
    Options
    ReppinTime wrote: »
    This one of those threads that get ? put on watchlists.
    That said i lovethe ? outta murica

The powers that be don't even care about America anymore. They're allowing all of this madness to go in in this country and on top of that a black man is in charge (not really)? They stopped caring about this place a long time ago so I doubt anyone is watching you because you hate America.
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Love dont live here
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seeing that the African-American culture is pretty unique and different from most general African cultures, there is no point in claiming Africa as our countries anymore now that we have no more ties with Africa other than our skin tones.

If you ever served overseas in the military and had white friends/coworkers, did you self-identify as American too, as having a shared common nationality with them when being abroad?

Do you consider institutionalized racism as a fair exchange for freedom and more vast range of limits compared to living in other black countries?
    That ? gonna touch a lot of souls

TS should thank this ? for his soon to be diamond thread......
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of the most honest corrupt countries in the world

I've grown to admire it

But b4 my "country" I love myself, my fam and ?

That whole die for your country ? is for the birds that feed into political ? who tell u who your enemy is today

Then finding out next week they aren't the enemy

I've never been cool with the idea of going to war for my country when half the time u really dont know the true reason y u r fighting until its too late and u already have killed an innocent group

War is just old men wit power sending young men to die for THEIR cause

All in all its pretty good compared to the rest of the world
  • 1800skypager
    edited April 2014
    Options
    In another thread I said American blacks and Africans are totally different and I got stoned to death.
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

All in all its pretty good compared to the rest of the world
  • RNS
    RNS Members Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope. I'm happy to live here but I don't love this ? .
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.N.S. wrote: »
    Nope. I'm happy to live here but I don't love this ? .

Why one and not the other? If it's a happy place to be why not like it?
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the concept of being loyal to a nation that exist only as a nation-state is outdated.
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chicity wrote: »

That ? gonna touch a lot of souls

TS should thank this ? for his soon to be diamond thread......

wait... he is the threadstarter isn't he?

OR IS HE?

spin.gif
  • P-Dogg77
    Options
    True. I said blacks in America have no connection to Africans and I got stoned to death.

It's true. Notwithstanding that the highest forms of art and music today stems from slaves who brought their influences from Africa, but other than being influenced by a few Africanisms that the slavers spent 400 years trying to suppress, what else is there that is typical African about Black Americans?

We don't speak a language anywhere near reminiscent of any African language, we have very very few African traditions left. We have English names and have lived life the American way ever since.