Top Dawg Entertainment Responds To Ab-Soul Threatening To Leak Album

Options
bkkbully
bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
(AllHipHop News) Top Dawg Entertainment has marketed themselves as a close knit group, grassroots-centric Hip Hop collective. However, today (May 2nd) proved to test that with TDE’s CEO responding to Ab-Soul’s threats of leaking his major label debut album.

Yesterday (May 1st), Ab-Soul released a message on his personal Twitter account stating that he may leak his debut album. Earlier today (May 2nd), TDE’s CEO Dangeroo Kipawaa went to his own personal Twitter account to squash the possibility of an album leak from Soul from happening:

screenshot-2014-05-02-16-59-33.png?w=630&h=192

Out of the last four projects released from Top Dawg Entertainment in the last year and a half (good kid, mAAd city, Cilvia Demo, Oxymoron, Z) Ab Soul is the only TDE artist to not appear on any of those projects.

deebo.gif

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They are pretty tight knit. Ab been quiet as ? until now. I wonder what's going on.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hmm, thats interesting that ab soul hasnt appeared on any other projects. perhaps the label thinks he doesnt have a single worthy song to start the push with?
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    You don't bite the hand that feeds you, but you maul that ? if it feeds you wrong.

But he basically being made a ? if he doesn't leak his album. Should of handled this ? off the internets. As Huey Freeman would say, "? Moment".
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They allready have the name backing them.
  • freethewave
    freethewave Members Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol ab better leak that ? now.lookin forward to it
  • SnuffDaddy
    SnuffDaddy Members Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hmm, thats interesting that ab soul hasnt appeared on any other projects. perhaps the label thinks he doesnt have a single worthy song to start the push with?

Ehh, willing to bet its more that hes the only one without a solo deal. Thats how the politics go and always been going. Its a whole nother discussion but thats prolly why. Everybody got a deal as TDE, but everyone beside Ab got a solo deal as well.
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SnuffDaddy wrote: »

Ehh, willing to bet its more that hes the only one without a solo deal. Thats how the politics go and always been going. Its a whole nother discussion but thats prolly .Everybody got a deal as TDE, but everyone beside Ab got a solo deal as well.

And that's what's killing him so I understand his frustation,no artist wants to feel as though they're being shelved. You can't really compare his situation to Q,yea Q's album didn't drop immediately but it's easier to have more faith in your label when you have a machine like interscope promoting you.

It's messed up that no one reached out to him, its not like Q has anymore of a "it factor" than Ab soul unless you wanted to nitpick about soul having to wear shades all the time cause of his eyes issues but other than that they both carry the same hippy demeanor so I dont understand why he's being left without a solo deal. That Ab song that uses Jay-z's hook would of made a nice radio single(if it was on control system not sure),but mostly only his core fans know about that record.

• kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saying ? like "I Dare you" is not cool at all...I'd be ? off if I was Ab...4real let him release something already he makes money off touring he's ready to be able to book more shows perform with new material that the fans have heard and know..grow his fan base etc..can't do that if u don't release your music and promote for christ sakes TDE slacking when it comes 2 Soulo..and I think Ab-Soul is starting to see it
  • freethewave
    freethewave Members Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah Ab was bein ? made goin on twitter and threatnin and ? .deserves to have his card pulled
  • GovernmentCheese
    GovernmentCheese Members Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saying ? like "I Dare you" is not cool at all...I'd be ? off if I was Ab...4real let him release something already he makes money off touring he's ready to be able to book more shows perform with new material that the fans have heard and know..grow his fan base etc..can't do that if u don't release your music and promote for christ sakes TDE slacking when it comes 2 Soulo..and I think Ab-Soul is starting to see it

Well, you can say that Ab threatening to leak his album ain't cool at all either. It goes both ways, TDE called his bluff.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    This is why groups never last(I know they aren't a group).

*bumps "Big Ego's"*
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only time I heard of Ab-Soul is through the internet..
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AB needs to just walk from TDE if it's gonna be on some wack overly political, favoritism ? . What can TDE really do if he leaks the album? Cut him from the roster? That's probably what he needs right now.

He being ignored and left out. To not even be able to get a feature on a major project but cats like 2Chainz and Drake got spots must be offensive.
  • TrueGodHS
    TrueGodHS Members Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From what I can see Ab seem like he been put on the back burner. However, the tweet from TDE really some corny ? . Like some "you on my team, I control you, I dare you to leak YOUR album out".... Its a lose-lose for Ab regardless to be honest
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Probably a publicity stunt, ioeno. Ab soul just need to stay humble and keep making more music, ? will work it's way out on it's own anyway. Them ? right, you can't rush greatness.
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe this is just the "marketing ploy" to spark more interest in his project
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AB don't let yo boss buck you like that, leak that album & if you scared then send the album to me or a IC poster & we'll leak it for you
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SnuffDaddy wrote: »

Ehh, willing to bet its more that hes the only one without a solo deal. Thats how the politics go and always been going. Its a whole nother discussion but thats prolly .Everybody got a deal as TDE, but everyone beside Ab got a solo deal as well.

And that's what's killing him so I understand his frustation,no artist wants to feel as though they're being shelved. You can't really compare his situation to Q,yea Q's album didn't drop immediately but it's easier to have more faith in your label when you have a machine like interscope promoting you.

It's messed up that no one reached out to him, its not like Q has anymore of a "it factor" than Ab soul unless you wanted to nitpick about soul having to wear shades all the time cause of his eyes issues but other than that they both carry the same hippy demeanor so I dont understand why he's being left without a solo deal. That Ab song that uses Jay-z's hook would of made a nice radio single(if it was on control system not sure),but mostly only his core fans know about that record.

ironically Q said he rather not have interscope behind his project lol

• antarticp
    Options
    And TDE responding with tweets like"I dare you" is not a good look, why not respond with "we got you covered Ab" to make your artist feel comfortable oppose to belittling him for his fans to see,that ishvis not even professional.....social media in some ways got the game f***ed up.

like reality shows ... getting major backing makes people turn up as well ... the business of music has been messing up groups since forever ... look @ wutang .. rocafella .. dipset etc.... im just waiting to see if these new folds/groups etc... can stand the test of time within the music BUSINESS ....

• antarticp
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    AB needs to just walk from TDE if it's gonna be on some wack overly political, favoritism ? . What can TDE really do if he leaks the album? Cut him from the roster? That's probably what he needs right now.

He being ignored and left out. To not even be able to get a feature on a major project but cats like 2Chainz and Drake got spots must be offensive.

well technically they prob will beat his ? ... why cause chances are TDE paid for that album and have money invested in that project and for ab to just give it out for free without all parties involved rolling with that ... it can turn into a big prob .... like i said THE BUSINESS of music fuckz it all up lol
  • antarticp
    Options
    Sour-Cream wrote: »
    Probably a publicity stunt, ioeno. Ab soul just need to stay humble and keep making more music, ? will work it's way out on it's own anyway. Them ? right, you can't rush greatness.

but they were droppiing projects before no problem ... whats the hold up now ... cats beeing a lil too particular ... they are indy label with major backing .... they should be able to do wwhat they want when they want how they want .... but you know as a TDE fam ... that is ...... everyone does have to be on the samepage @least @ TDE i would think ?
  • antarticp
    edited May 2014
    Options
    KLICHE wrote: »
    Maybe this is just the "marketing ploy" to spark more interest in his project

if true ... they need a better marketing team ... this will not generate more interest LOL !! people who love a good fight dont like to spend money .... the last person and prob the only person to capitolize off a fight is 50 cent ..... ? is internal @ that with an label exec .... if it was another artist maybe ......
  • SnuffDaddy
    SnuffDaddy Members Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    antarticp wrote: »
    Sour-Cream wrote: »

but they were droppiing projects before no problem ... whats the hold up now ... cats beeing a lil too particular ... they are indy label with major backing .... they should be able to do wwhat they want when they want how they want .... but you know as a TDE fam ... that is ...... everyone does have to be on the samepage @least @ TDE i would think ?

TDE has a joint venture with Aftermath/Interscope. Hence why it was easier for Kendrick and Q to drop their albums as well because they have solo deals with Aftermath/Interscope (Kendrick) & Interscope (Q).