Would you live in the West Indies/Caribbean?

Options

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    I am not moving to any island that does not have english as it's main language
    Barbados, tobago, ? islands or right back to jamaica.

@Zombie off topic but what is your opinion on the "is patois a language" debate

I feel that it's still to similar to english to be considered a unique language but patwa is special to me
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It depends.How is the internet/cable services? What about video games and US tv/sports? Basically I need everything that I have here.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Muhannad X wrote: »
    French Antilles are the best though if you looking at it from a 1st world/ western perspective, because they're still a part of France. Healthcare is better, less corruption than other Caribbean Islands, better jobopportunities etc.
    If I wouldn't relocate to Curaçao since I'm from the3re, I'd go to one of these French Antillian island before I'd go to any West Indian island. It's no coincidence West Indians emigrate to our islands (Curaçao, Aruba etc.) and never the othern wa around.

What's the point of living in a predominantly black country that is not independent? To me that is kind of embarrassing. I'd rather live in one of the independent black countries that aren't doing so bad (Barbados, Bahamas, Antigua, etc.).

Then what is the point in living in a predominantly black town in the states? Same logic

I'm not sure if I see your point. I'm saying that since these countries are majority black, and there already exists institutional structure in place to support state independence (or if not, the structure in place is close to that), refusing to take the next step and become independent is kind of embarrassing. To me that is more important than the minor increases in well-being gained from being associated with the colonial power. On the other hand. those black towns are not even close to being independent.

I don't see how its embarrassing for a place like Guadeloupe or Martinique to not be independent. France isn't willing to give them up and there a benefits to not being independent. For example, those islands are part of Metropolitan France, with full citizenship and representation in their Congress
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Rahlow
    Rahlow Members Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah, they all trying to live here... nuff to convince me that I'm where I need to be.
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rahlow wrote: »
    nah, they all trying to live here... nuff to convince me that I'm where I need to be.

Not true...I have family in the islands who never want to set foot in America. Life in America is much more complicated than people believe it to be.

to answer the o/p I will be moving to Belize within the next 3-4 years. I'll island hop from there to visit the other islands.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? them other islands cause I'm down for my island
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Grew up there in Trinidad. Went to middle school there. High school. Graduated. So many life experiences and lessons learned. I'd definitely go back for vacation. Just won't live there anymore
  • Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @joshuaboy‌ place lol. Antiqua seems like the place to be.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    I got 5 Bentley's in the west indies

it doesn't matter!
  • Cunt_Lyfe
    Cunt_Lyfe Members, Writer Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    s.free wrote: »
    Probably not. Parents sent me to Guyana for a summer against my free will when I was 10. I been back once since then but I still got a sour taste in my mouth from my parents doing me like that. First night had a young ? looking out the window with tears in his eyes trying to wish upon a star like...
    BlackBoyLookOutWindow.jpg
    Back then that Charles Barkley right guard commercial was popping and for whatever reason my cousin kept calling me sir Charles on some troll level2000 ? . First time I knocked someone out. 10 yrs old. That entire experience still get me in my feelings 19 yrs later smh. True story.

Do you know how much I would love for my parents to send me to a foreign country against my free will?

It'd be an adventure.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Been to Nassau. But it was for vacation so im not sure how the natives really live their day to day lives. But it was beautiful and I would live their of the strength of the scenery and the people.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And my parents let my turtle die. Came back there was no turtle so I was like wtf? They both ducking. Ended up letting me buy a gerbil (that was evil as ? ). I'm in the basement like 2-3 months later and find my turtle in the ? vent. My parents were cool but sometimes I be like ? them ? too.

Bruh....

giphy.gif
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    i def live in Jamaica, Puerto Rico, ? Islands, Bahamas, Trinidad, Cuba if they weren't communist, after Aruba. Dunno about the others

? _Lyfe wrote: »
    Probably not. Parents sent me to Guyana for a summer against my free will when I was 10. I been back once since then but I still got a sour taste in my mouth from my parents doing me like that. First night had a young ? looking out the window with tears in his eyes trying to wish upon a star like...
    Back then that Charles Barkley right guard commercial was popping and for whatever reason my cousin kept calling me sir Charles on some troll level2000 ? . First time I knocked someone out. 10 yrs old. That entire experience still get me in my feelings 19 yrs later smh. True story.

Do you know how much I would love for my parents to send me to a foreign country against my free will?

It'd be an adventure.

Guyana is third world tho
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'll take the bait. Nope, not an official language.no govt document is in patios, it's more informal, people they learn the tourist board English in school
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? i plan on living back in jamaica already told my wife, i want my son to experience what i experienced when my mom sent me to live there and ? i was just in jamaica in march and i'll be damned if they don't have everything they have in america in jamaica and a lot of people are living better than most americans
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

I'll take the bait. Nope, not an official language.no govt document is in patios, it's more informal, people they learn the tourist board English in school

i don't mean official language i mean the "language vs. dialect" debate. official status can change at any time. look at Kreyol in Haiti or Dutch in South Africa. Some people argue that Patois is Jamaica's national language and should be standardized and made into an official language while other say it's just a pidgin that should be kept in the streets
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? _Lyfe wrote: »

It'd be an adventure.

Nah. Paying $1200 to send me into poverty is not the move. summer camp would have sufficed. I definitely learned some ? and it was an experience but it was a waste of money.
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

i don't mean official language i mean the "language vs. dialect" debate. official status can change at any time. look at Kreyol in Haiti or Dutch in South Africa. Some people argue that Patois is Jamaica's national language and should be standardized and made into an official language while other say it's just a pidgin that should be kept in the streets

when i was down there in march, i was shocked to find out they teach that ? in schools now
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

when i was down there in march, i was shocked to find out they teach that ? in schools now

My grandma didn't like patois, my dad says she used to smack him and tell him speak "proper". also prolly why i was never "taught' patois
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options
    It's a reach to say its national language, granted I've read some short stories in patios but that's as far as I'd go. they aren't learning patios at KC JC Wolmers or Jago (big shout out)
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options