Is It Objectively Possible For A Mixtape Rapper To Be Top 5 DOA?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
In another thread somebody said Joe Budden is top 5 DOA.

Is that even possible?

Here's the question; Is it objectively possible for Joe Budden to be top 5 DOA?

ob·jec·tive
/əbˈjektiv/

adjective
adjective: objective

1. (of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.

Comments

• FOREVER92
    FOREVER92 Members Posts: 455
    Options
    He released three solo albums. Two group albums and his mixtapes were sold also on his web site so he is not a mixtape rapper
  • freethewave
    freethewave Members Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If there is put Joe Buddens name in there
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Lol , that somebody was me and my opinion was completely objective.

He has albums, and his first is acouple thousand sales shy of gold. Plus his "mixtapes" , are put together like albums, its not just him rapping over ? beats.If you heard the mood muzik series then you would know his catalog is just as strong as most cats.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Dr.Evil wrote: »

He has albums, and his first is acouple thousand sales shy of gold. Plus his "mixtapes" , are put together like albums, its not just him rapping over ? beats.If you heard the mood muzik series then you would know his catalog is just as strong as most cats.

With all due respect, you're entitled to your opinion. But mainstream America has spoken...or remained silent depending how you look at it.

In order for a rapper to be ranked highly, it makes sense that he should have a large following. Not saying he should wear a shiny suit and rap over Madonna beats to sell records, but it makes sense that a Top 5 DOA rapper would have a few gold/platinum plaques on his wall along with a few awards.

Granted, Nas doesn't even have a grammy award. But as soon as he gets one, he'll have every thing that a rapper needs to claim being the GOAT.

I've heard Mood Musik 2. People said that was the best one. It was cool but I didn't think it was good enough to put him in the top tier of MCs. And for the record, Method Man and Melle Mel are both better than Joe Budden.
  • freethewave
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

With all due respect, you're entitled to your opinion. But mainstream America has spoken...or remained silent depending how you look at it.

In order for a rapper to be ranked highly, it makes sense that he should have a large following. Not saying he should wear a shiny suit and rap over Madonna beats to sell records, but it makes sense that a Top 5 DOA rapper would have a few gold/platinum plaques on his wall along with a few awards.

Granted, Nas doesn't even have a grammy award. But as soon as he gets one, he'll have every thing that a rapper needs to claim being the GOAT.

I've heard Mood Musik 2. People said that was the best one. It was cool but I didn't think it was good enough to put him in the top tier of MCs. And for the record, Method Man and Melle Mel are both better than Joe Budden.

Nas is already everything you need already.Duno what a grammy would mean

Joe Budden better than both artists u mentioned tho I will say theres a debate that could be had
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Joe Budden better than both artists u mentioned tho I will say theres a debate that could be had

As far as the grammy goes, there's no reason for him to not have a grammy

And as far as Joey vs Melle Mel and Method Man, they both have all the things I mentioned like awards, gold/platinum records.

The reason I bring them up is because somebody made a list a few years back and put Melle Mel and Method Man ahead of Joe Budden and Joey put up a big stink about it.
  • freethewave
    Options

And as far as Joey vs Melle Mel and Method Man, they both have all the things I mentioned like awards, gold/platinum records.

The reason I bring them up is because somebody made a list a few years back and put Melle Mel and Method Man ahead of Joe Budden and Joey put up a big stink about it.

Yeah I get that he should have one but the fact he doesnt doesnt deter from the fact he ia up 4 goat

Also I seen the JB vid he pit out.made himself look bitter.it was a mag so who cares.hes right tho.his talent>>>both tho not popularity apperntly
  • _Goldie_
    Options
    If you say mainstream america has already spoken, what's the point of making this thread?

Idgaf about sales, but youre killing your own argument cuz Melle mel hasnt sold ? . Slick RIck cant be a Goat? Black Thought cant be a Goat? Big L cant be a Goat? There's real hiphop heads and there's commercial fans. Real hiphop heads know that "sales" is a small factor when grading an MC.

Lol @ melle mel and ? being better than Joe. What category are they better than Joe in? Only thing I can think of is ? with the FLow, which he's one of the greatest ever with. Storytelling? Bars? Lyrics? Thats all Joe.
  • freethewave
    Options
    If you say mainstream america has already spoken, what's the point of making this thread?

Idgaf about sales, but youre killing your own argument cuz Melle mel hasnt sold ? . Slick RIck cant be a Goat? Black Thought cant be a Goat? Big L cant be a Goat? There's real hiphop heads and there's commercial fans. Real hiphop heads know that "sales" is a small factor when grading an MC.

Lol @ melle mel and ? being better than Joe. What category are they better than Joe in? Only thing I can think of is ? with the FLow, which he's one of the greatest ever with. Storytelling? Bars? Lyrics? Thats all Joe.

Co-? -Sign
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FOREVER92 wrote: »
    He released three solo albums. Two group albums and his mixtapes were sold also on his web site so he is not a mixtape rapper

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It depends. If the mixtapes are all original music and formatted like an album, not that Lil Wayne ? where he takes other people beats, use their cadence, and song structure,etc.

With that said, Joe Budden is nowhere near a top 5 rapper. Dude has made little to no impact in hiphop and I wouldn't even consider his mixtapes impactful like that.
  • nj2089
    Options
    joe has the same amount of albums as jadakiss but hes a mixtape rapper
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    It depends. If the mixtapes are all original music and formatted like an album, not that Lil Wayne ? where he takes other people beats, use their cadence, and song structure,etc.

With that said, Joe Budden is nowhere near a top 5 rapper. Dude has made little to no impact in hiphop and I wouldn't even consider his mixtapes impactful like that.

c/s especially with how labels are these days, some artists might end up with 5 times as many free albums as retail, so i think its difficult, but somewhat possible, but i dont count against lil wayne or other rappers who make dope traditional style mixtapes
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Can a mixtape rapper be GOAT? Is it possible? I'd say it's possible, but I don't think it's happened yet and it may not ever happen. Consider Drake's So Far Gone. I only bring this up as an example of a mixtape that's basically an album. Now imagine an MC that's dropped a mixtape like that and it's Illmatic quality of music. That would qualify that rapper as GOAT.

It's also possible that, when it's all said and done, I may count Jay Electronica as a Top 5 DOA. Right now he's in my top 5 rappers in the game. I know a lot of ? can't get behind that, and I can respect that, but I don't see anyone in the past 20 years ? with him lyrically. I need an album from that ? though. That's what really prevents me from considering him more than a current favorite at the moment.
  • nj2089
    Options
    far as pen game alone goes Budden is top 10 to me
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • za'kiss
    edited May 2014
    Options

I enjoy Budden, he has a nice voice and good lyrics, but ? has at least one classic/near classic album and contributed to a number of classic albums. His body of work is extensive. ? is straight nasty on the mic. AND he can tell stories. I don't get how Budden is somehow more "lyrical" than ? . I ain't seein it.
  • freethewave
    Options
    nj2089 wrote: »

Yeah but if he judge him off his albums hes no where near top tier.its because of the mixtapes he puts out hes held in such regard,also why hes not as well known.
  • nj2089
    Options

Yeah but if he judge him off his albums hes no where near top tier.its because of the mixtapes he puts out hes held in such regard,also why hes not as well known.

thats why i said pen game aloneee
  • za'kiss
    edited May 2014
    Options

U serious? There's about a million reasons. 2Pac never won a Grammy and he's consistently regarded among top 5 DOA. It's like Martin Scorsese didn't win an Oscar until 2006. If Grammys were based on merit, Nas would've had multiple Grammys and won his first one at 21. That ? is all politics my ? . Grammys don't meant ? .

• freethewave
    Options

thats why i said pen game aloneee

Yeah didnt see that post
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lil B The Based ? >>> Chrome Dome Homotional Joe Buttons
  • _Goldie_
    edited May 2014
    Options
    za'kiss wrote: »

I enjoy Budden, he has a nice voice and good lyrics, but ? has at least one classic/near classic album and contributed to a number of classic albums. His body of work is extensive. ? is straight nasty on the mic. AND he can tell stories. I don't get how Budden is somehow more "lyrical" than ? . I ain't seein it.

? is in my top 20, so if a ? thinks he's better than Joe , I aint even mad at it. But to say ? is better with the bars than Joe is crazy. ? always had a dope flow, but he never dropped alot of bars/metaphors and Joe is one of the best, which is why he's able to step in the ring with battle rappers.
  • nj2089
    Options
    nawledge_? wrote: »
    Lil B The Based ? >>> Chrome Dome Homotional Joe Buttons

th?id=HN.608005178416039385&pid=15.1