Can Somebody Explain What Trap Music is?

Options

Comments

• freethewave
    freethewave Members Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol t/s gets dissed for not knowin and a bunch of different replies come bk
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of ? in this thread. There is no sich thing as Trap Music. People label modern 808 heavy southern gangster rap trap music but there is nothing unique about the sound from any other 808 heavy gangster rap.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Trap music is a sub genre of hip hop that is characterized by prominent bass lines utilizing mainly sine waves and 808 drums, slow tempos, fast hi hats, heavy brass sections, and repetitive hooks. Lyrical content typically revolves around living in "the trap" or "trapping", which refers to drug sales, drug preparation and the lifestyles of drug dealers living in poverty in America's South.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hear people saying (or typing) that it's deep 808 with the high hats doing double and triple time. And the lyrics are about being trapped in the ghetto.

Why are people saying it started with TI in 04 when that's what Master P was doing with No Limit?
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's a sound that's synonymous with certain sub-genres of rap, ie. drill, trap, hyphy, crunk, so on and so forth. A few posters have already delved into the specifics, but I'm sure that you'll find instances of a "trap" sounding song before the sub-genre had a name.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    There's a sound that's synonymous with certain sub-genres of rap, ie. drill, trap, hyphy, crunk, so on and so forth. A few posters have already delved into the specifics, but I'm sure that you'll find instances of a "trap" sounding song before the sub-genre had a name.

Thanks for explaining it. I came here to ask a question and half of the responses I got weren't answers.

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the trap is lame down south slang for a drug spot or drug hole. in a sense it is a trap because of a chance that one could get killed or nabbed by the cops there. therefore trap rap is rap songs about life in a southern drug spot.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    P is no Trap n*gga..
    ATL,Memphis & Mia to me stand out as Trap Cities.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    P is no Trap n*gga..
    ATL,Memphis & Mia to me stand out as Trap Cities.
    That's what I don't get, how come when P does it it's not Trap but when Three 6 or UGK does it it is Trap?
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I hear people saying (or typing) that it's deep 808 with the high hats doing double and triple time. And the lyrics are about being trapped in the ghetto.

Why are people saying it started with TI in 04 when that's what Master P was doing with No Limit?

Because their explanations are ? like all sub genre trying to define themselves into a box.

Trap music = modern name for southern gangster rap.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Certain Southern rappers can Trap at will.
    It's another form of Southern Rap music that empowers southern rappers.
  • double0suge
    double0suge Members Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And while were at it, I heard about a "Hyphy Movement" in California about 10 years ago but I'm not sure if I ever actually heard a hyphy song.

In the other thread everybody said that Young Jeezy is a trap rapper and raps about "trap". What does that mean?

I could never hang wit ? like u
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meet me in the traaaaaap
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And while were at it, I heard about a "Hyphy Movement" in California about 10 years ago but I'm not sure if I ever actually heard a hyphy song.

In the other thread everybody said that Young Jeezy is a trap rapper and raps about "trap". What does that mean?

Now what that ? like?? Can you expound please? Speak on it my brother.
  • MoneyLuver
    MoneyLuver Members Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    T.I. "coined" the phrase so the name comes from him so to say even tho he's always said he didn't make up the word or definition for "Trap" and all extensions of that word.

BUUUUUUUT.... Lex Luger came in the game with Flocka thru Gucci and made up the "Trap Sound" (and then Southside gave it a "body") . Lex's music is heavily influenced by Three 6 Mafia making them - DJ Paul & Juicy J - somewhat like The Godfathers of The Trap Sound.

Petty bloggers have made things more complex and blanketed then its really supposed to be. Yes, like all music it has basic elements of what its supposed to be But that's where it stops, look no further into it.

It should also be noted that the term "Gangsta Rap" was coined by a particular Newspaper when they referencing NWA's (new) music - at the time. As in NWA or any other Rapper/Producer didn't make up the Name.
  • G.Avant
    Options
    MoneyLuver wrote: »
    T.I. "coined" the phrase so the name comes from "him" so to say even tho he's always said he didn't make up the definition of "Trap" and all extensions of that word.

BUUUUUUUT.... Lex Luger came in the game with Flocka thru Gucci and made up the "Trap Sound" (and then Southside gave it a "body") . Lex's music is heavily influenced by Three 6 Mafia making them somewhat like The Godfathers of The Trap Sound.

Petty bloggers have made things more complex and blanketed then its really supposed to be. Yes, like all music it has basic elements of what its supposed to be But that's where it stops, look no further into it.

It should also be noted that the term "Gangsta Rap" was coined by a particular Newspaper when they referencing NWA's (new) music - at the time. As in NWA or any other Rapper/Producer didn't make up the Name.

The trap sound was around way before lex bruh and I'm not talking about 36 or none of that ?
  • MoneyLuver
    Options
    G.Avant wrote: »
    T.I. "coined" the phrase so the name comes from "him" so to say even tho he's always said he didn't make up the definition of "Trap" and all extensions of that word.

BUUUUUUUT.... Lex Luger came in the game with Flocka thru Gucci and made up the "Trap Sound" (and then Southside gave it a "body") . Lex's music is heavily influenced by Three 6 Mafia making them somewhat like The Godfathers of The Trap Sound.

The trap sound was around way before lex bruh and I'm not talking about 36 or none of that ?

No it wasn't and we're not about to sit up here and get to petty bloggin and masquerading everything with an 808 and a ghetto story as "Trap".

Give up what you owe ? . Let the creators have what they rightfully deserve.
  • double0suge
    double0suge Members Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just like u apparently.. Sensitive ass ? lls
  • MoneyLuver
    Options
    And for those of you championing T.I.'s album "Trap Muzik". That album doesn't really have ANY elements of what we call The "Trap Sound"/"Trap Music"

But underground Prophet Entertainment tapes do. They're all over them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QQujRgFTpo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    ? still sounds like its fresh off of Worldstar or LiveMixtapes this morning at 12am. And not to mention that's one of the later Prophet tapes.

Trap Music is a certain sound, a certain vibe. Its not Miami Bass, its not even really Crunk Music, its not Texas' sound, its not Bounce Music, its not Hyphy Music, its not Boom-Bap with a ticking Hi Hat, its its own thing.

If u hear somebody Rappin or Singin with a Trap Influenced beat that doesn't make it "Trap Music" unless its "Drill Music". And anybody who doesn't think "Drill Music" is Trap Music iz smokin rocks
  • G.Avant
    Options

Just like u apparently.. Sensitive ass ? lls

Naw ? apparently like YOU. I was just looking for some clarity my brethren no need for the feistiness. I'm an inquisitive yung fella.
  • G.Avant
    Options

No it wasn't and we're not about to sit up here and get to petty bloggin and masquerading everything with an 808 and a ghetto story as "Trap".

Give up what you owe ? . Let the creators have what they rightfully deserve.

Bruh Lex didnt break til what like 08 trap music been around for at least a decade. I could understand if Lex innovated some new sound to make it original and take credit for creation but everything about his sound was already a trend before he broke. Trap was already a trend.
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL @ Lex Luger. Zaytoven and Shawty Redd had more influence on the trap sound than Lex.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    They say cool breeze introduced the term n I belee dat, id also say Paul and juicy may have influenced the trap sound, but they influenced a lot of ? , they influenced artists like scrappy, baby d, asap mob, big krit, etc a lil bit more so than trap music imo. three 6, ugk, and ball & g had some influence on it but they really more country rap tunes/pimpin/buck/crunk music

http://youtu.be/PPCNA3y2nPA

u can find plenty of influences to the trap sound in the late 90's early 2000's

http://youtu.be/Y9wA1KmwnzQ

tip didn't start but he and jeezy helped popularize the trap sound on a mainstream level, but they branched out as well and added in versatility, especially tip id say he's got some country rap tunes/soul in his ? as well, u can credit the great dj toomp for that. also u can say artist like Yo Gotti, Playa Fly, or Pastor Troy were around at that time(or a lil earlier) as well, with similar subject matter but not necessarily called trap and on a much more underground scale, before tip and jeezy ion think there were too many rappers talm bout trappin, just some drug dealers and mafioso dudes in hip hop. tip and jeezy imo helped influence artists anywhere from Gangsta Pill and Cyhi The Prince to Waka or Alley Boy.

dj toomp, shawty redd, drumma boi, zaytoven, and later fatboi who started off with camoflauge were producers who helped perfect that sound

articleLarge.jpg

? like d-rich(who is a shawty redd understudy) lex, sonny digital, lil lody and Southside idolize and often sound exactly like shawty redd and fat boi, they are a second or third generation, listen to the open hi hats every fourth note, even somethin as miniscule as that is shawty redd influence, I kno cuz redd n drumma have influenced me, before Gucci was on lex beats like Tragedy, he was in the trap house in 2005 on a shawty redd beat

http://youtu.be/2pjLA4SrI-c

to give 808 mafia credit for pioneering anything right now is disrespectful on the low tbh
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    and that drill music ? , is not trap, it maybe a relative on the momma's side, but its not trap.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Too many categories for all this ? if you ask me. Its all filed under hip hop in my iPod.