Game of Thrones - Season 4 (Book Readers please use spoilers & disclaimers or be BANNED)

Options

Comments

• dogfromduckhunt
    dogfromduckhunt Members Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL got dayum ? got real, here's a disgruntled fan's comments about yesterdays episode.

Kevin Walter says:
    This whole thing makes me so angry. No... not angry... disappointed.

I never read the books (I'd like to, but I haven't). That being said, I had the "outcome" of this fight spoiled for me on Facebook and after speaking with a friend who has read the books. I knew Oberyn was going to die... and I knew it was going to be brutal.

My annoyance doesn't stem from the fact that he's dead... or how he died. It's WHY he died. He died like a ? PUNK because that's exactly what he is. He had him beaten... the fight was over... and in his own arrogance and stupidity, he draws it out. It's pathetic.

Sure, the story is all about how the good guys don't always win and blah blah blah... but I had this character built up as a "badass" from the beginning of the season. He's not a badass... at all. Sure, he "beat" The Mountain... but it doesn't matter. Nobody will notice that fact. What will everyone remember? They'll remember Oberyn screaming like a ? because he got cocky and ended up with his skull crushed. I also know what comes next in the story... the aftermath of this fight... and I still say these things and stand by the words.

I just want one. ONE character... who can die in the end... having failed his mission, and allowing the most evil bastard in the show to have all the power. I don't care. I just want ONE character that has the ? and the skill to teach some "bad guys" a lesson.

No character like this exists thus far in this show. It's certainly not Oberyn... despite what comes next.

This constant pattern of the loathable characters always having the upper hand is just getting exhausting. Even Joffrey's death... no matter how much we all wanted it and we got it... was unsatisfying. There was no drama to it. We all know who did it... but nobody else in the show does. Everyone knows who killed Ned Stark. Everyone knows who killed Robb and everyone else at the Red Wedding. Everyone knows the Mountain killed Oberyn Martell. Who knows who killed Joffrey? Nobody. There's nobody that strikes fear in the hearts of detestable "bad guys" like Cersei and Tywin. It's successfully played off as some wicked scheme by his evil, deformed uncle.

You can't base a story on the fact that one side always has definitive victories. It becomes predictable and tiresome.

/rant

Thoughts IC ?

Sounds like the usual whining people have been doing(for years if they've read the book) whenever one of their favorites get killed off. Comes across like they just want good characters to have plot armor that saves them from the stupid decisions they make. Been a nice bit of good guys who've had the upper hand.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    I agree with that guy from the standpoint that it's getting predictable. Like I said earlier if you wanna survive you gotta be an ? and even then sometimes it's not enough.

I really think GRRM hates a righteous man and loves a heinous ? . Like he seriously has a campaign against a righteous man. I think he hates righteous masculinity, like the ? is deep.

i think its more about the victor gets to write the history books. a realistic approach compared to other stories where the "good guy" always wins. in this, there is no real "good" person, each has different sides...maybe ned stark but you see how far that took him
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I honestly believeGRRM hates masculinity. He has one of the most heinous characters in The Mountain, a pure ? who rapes women and murders children, get the last laugh against a man with a ton of ? swagger (nhx100), who was brash and cocky and about as masculine as they come, (aside from ? guys)

And you know where all that brash cocky masculinity got Oberyn, no matter how righteous it was for him to be doing what he was doing? Dead as ? .

Its like GRRM is basically saying no matter how much righteous masculinity a man can have, the evil sides of masculinity always win, and thats what masculinity really is the end a ? child murderer. The bad sides of masculinity far outweigh the good in his world.

Who the best righteous person in the game with a sword left alive? ? Breinne of Tarth? He wants to show you don't need a ? to be tough PLUS he has an obession with dickless people as well. He makes the best, most badass soldiers in the game have no ? for chirsts sake! Varys, no ? ! Theon, NO ? ! NH!!!!!
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    i'm not seeing this 'the show is predictable now' angle...

if anything they're setting it up for the bad guys to fall that much harder
  • Will Munny
    Options
    The predictability is pretty evident... if you want something good to happen.... it won't.

And don't say Joffrey dying was good, because it wasn't EVEN CLOSE to what he deserved. He didn't have to witness his downfall, he wasn't made to feel helpless and humiliated, he wasn't tortured, there was no justice in a court for all the ? up things he had done. He was alive... and then dead. A very small reckoning all things considered. All in all he went out pretty smoothly in about 20 seconds. NOT a bad way to go comparatively, not a bad way to go at all really.
  • Will Munny
    Options

If anything the ? Lady Arryn, Arya, Sansa and Kat went through is proof he hates women. The fact he had Dany ? her kid to birth her dragons could be argued to suggest he thinks people should raise pets before they try take on bigger responsibilities. Lyssa getting stabbed in the belly? Pro-choice. You can overanalyse it but it's just fictional entertainment written by an old white dude.

All the bad ? that happened to them was because of the ? up things men did. Bad things happened to them and you're meant to feel sympathy for them. Bad ? didn't happen to them because they were women and GRRM hates women.

I don't feel like I'm over analyzing ? . I really think this series was written by a ? feminist.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol yeah it's easy to say its predictable after something happens . Bunch ol "I been sayin that" type watchers.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rasta. wrote: »
    Are y'all ? paying attention? Greyworm is not a ? ....He made that perfectly clear to missande so not sure where y'all getting the "he has no ? (nh) line"

Where? She said "I'm sorry you got cut"

He told her that if he hadn't been cut he wouldn't be unsullied

• Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »
    Are y'all ? paying attention? Greyworm is not a ? ....He made that perfectly clear to missande so not sure where y'all getting the "he has no ? (nh) line"

Darius wrote: »

he said that if he was never cut, then he'd never be in the position that he is in today: killing masters, serving dany, seeing missande naked, etc.... I took that as him saying he was cut. to what extent, man nh just forget it

Actually played it back on DVR, you're right.
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

he said that if he was never cut, then he'd never be in the position that he is in today: killing masters, serving dany, seeing missande naked, etc.... I took that as him saying he was cut. to what extent, man nh just forget it

I think the argument is having his ? cut of vs having everything removed. He got enough bass in his voice it seems like he functional if not still freeballing.

I was just referencing i post i made after to accept that i erred....he may yet still have something left
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

From what I read about the Unsullied they cut off everything pre puberty and burn them in a big fire
  • thefabmd2dc
    thefabmd2dc Members Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AGOT is predictable in the sense that you know bad things are going to happen to characters. Other than that you can just never predict the twists that happen in the series.
  • RNS
    RNS Members Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    I've i could ? a character...I murder Theion..quickly.

If a man cut off my dingaling...there is no way I would let the same man break my soul.

Cosign. This dude walking around like a zombie shaking and what not. He has suffered enough lol
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ people saying the show is getting predictable with the deaths. Did ya'll predict that Oberyn was going to die in a match against the Mountain when he was first introduced? Probably not. So when did you predict he would die? When it was revealed that he'd be fighting the Mountain? Let me let you in on something. You were supposed to believe he would die fighting the Mountain. What about the build-up of the Mountain being invincible did you not catch. The surprise here wasn't that Oberyn died. The surprise was that he actually tooled the Mountain and only died because of his own carelessness.

How is it not predictable? Who didn't think Oberyn wasn't going out? He cut the Mountain's Achilles Tendon. Then stabbed him in the stomach... Wow. Every death on this show has been a spectacle no matter how small (Hound stabbing the old man and watching him breathe out his last or Arya pinpoint throat stabbing the one goon) on up to Oberyn getting his head popped. Mountain didn't even bleed openly, yet I'm supposed to have been shocked he resurrected for the showy ? ?

Nah.

All I'm saying is predicting how, when, where, and why someone dies isn't necessary when you can throw a dart at a character's name and say, "He or she'll die" and be right at above a 50% clip. I'm still entertained, but I'm not above pointing out the ? just because I like bottom line.
  • dogfromduckhunt
    dogfromduckhunt Members Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KNiGHTS wrote: »
    lol @ people saying the show is getting predictable with the deaths. Did ya'll predict that Oberyn was going to die in a match against the Mountain when he was first introduced? Probably not. So when did you predict he would die? When it was revealed that he'd be fighting the Mountain? Let me let you in on something. You were supposed to believe he would die fighting the Mountain. What about the build-up of the Mountain being invincible did you not catch. The surprise here wasn't that Oberyn died. The surprise was that he actually tooled the Mountain and only died because of his own carelessness.

How is it not predictable? Who didn't think Oberyn wasn't going out? He cut the Mountain's Achilles Tendon. Then stabbed him in the stomach... Wow. Every death on this show has been a spectacle no matter how small (Hound stabbing the old man and watching him breathe out his last or Arya pinpoint throat stabbing the one goon) on up to Oberyn getting his head popped. Mountain didn't even bleed openly, yet I'm supposed to have been shocked he resurrected for the showy ? ?

Nah.

All I'm saying is predicting how, when, where, and why someone dies isn't necessary when you can throw a dart at a character's name and say, "He or she'll die" and be right at above a 50% clip. I'm still entertained, but I'm not above pointing out the ? just because I like bottom line.

Pretty sure knowing the how, when, where and why is the actual defintion of predicting. What you're describing is guessing. And that would make things completely unpredictable because you wouldn't actually know. Just a easy way not to get attached to characters because there's a chance they'd get off'd.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got damn Oberyn caught that Mortal Kombat fatality. Should've just finished that big ? when he had the chance, smh
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That was some ? .
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What makes even less sense is he used a long range weapon to almost get the win, then his ? got too close because he got cocky. He cut his hamstrings, put him on his back with a spear tip in his chest and then got too close. Everything he did to win he seemed to forget in the last 20 seconds. He might as well as thrown his spear away and took out a nail file to try get the W with that kind of stupidity.

And that's what I'm mad at..... makes no sense.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this kinda puts it into perspective at least

photo.jpg
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ? with Oberyn too as a character outside of that bisexual ? . ? let what happened to his sister cloud his judgement in the heat of battle.
  • Darius
    Options
    There are no good characters in GOT. Some just worse than others. Any of them can get got. Who lives and who dies really can't be predicted based on who is "good". If that's the case Brienne would have been chopped up by that bear and Varys would wouldn't have served so many kings. But damn RIP to maester lewin went out without milk of the poppy like a g
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im about to jump on the Rmsey bolton train...he kinda ? up so...i know he gonna take a string of wins
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol yeah it's easy to say its predictable after something happens . Bunch ol "I been sayin that" type watchers.

I predicted this post

Jk
  • Darius
    Options
    Greyjoys catching all the L's tho. They like the Westeros version of Cleveland
This discussion has been closed.