Public Enemy's Chuck D Says Hot 97 Has Made "Sloppy Fiasco" Of Hip Hop

Options

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know there's a thing called satellite radio. You have to pay for it but the programing is different than broadcast radio.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Chuck has a radio show on public radio in NY where he plays nothing but unknown/unsigned rappers on Friday nights. Chuck stays dropping knowledge it's a good listen. He proposed a rule for radio like they have in Canada. Where in Canada at least 75% of Canadian radio must play Canadian artists. Chuck says there needs to be a rule like that in NY that states that 75% of NY radio must feature NY artists.

this would set hip hop back and continue the divide between regions.

How would a region playing its own music set hip hop back? Like it isn't being set back now.

hip hop has always been about diversity. even chuck talked about the diversity in albums back in the day. for a radio to play 75% of its region hurts hip hop. the listeners are not exposed to anything other than local.

this will trickle down to shows. now ny artist can only perform in the tri state because cats in LA never heard of them and there will be no demand. the south cant perform anywhere but the south. same with the west and midwest. then u will have the regions further breaking ? down...example atlanta playing mostly atl artist and miami playing miami artist...chicago playing chicago and detroit playing detroit....so on and so on.

it will be one big mess

5 Grand wrote: »
    You know there's a thing called satellite radio. You have to pay for it but the programing is different than broadcast radio.

Plus MTV, BET, the internet, people in real life you can actually talk to and communicate with that think for themselves... we'll be fine.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    No one is saying to not play those songs. Local acts need some shine too. If you can't get play in your own city. Then how are you gonna get played in other regions. And as long as this formula is in place it's gonna be hard for local artists to really blow up.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chuck has a radio show on public radio in NY where he plays nothing but unknown/unsigned rappers on Friday nights. Chuck stays dropping knowledge it's a good listen. He proposed a rule for radio like they have in Canada. Where in Canada at least 75% of Canadian radio must play Canadian artists. Chuck says there needs to be a rule like that in NY that states that 75% of NY radio must feature NY artists.

How would a region playing its own music set hip hop back? Like it isn't being set back now.

hip hop has always been about diversity. even chuck talked about the diversity in albums back in the day. for a radio to play 75% of its region hurts hip hop. the listeners are not exposed to anything other than local.

this will trickle down to shows. now ny artist can only perform in the tri state because cats in LA never heard of them and there will be no demand. the south cant perform anywhere but the south. same with the west and midwest. then u will have the regions further breaking ? down...example atlanta playing mostly atl artist and miami playing miami artist...chicago playing chicago and detroit playing detroit....so on and so on.

it will be one big mess

Plus MTV, BET, the internet, people in real life you can actually talk to and communicate with that think for themselves... we'll be fine.

due to all the things mentioned above i think hip hop is fine now but plenty folks think changes should be made to radio. i just dont agree with the 75% thing. imo opinion one thing i would like to come back is the days when we use to call in to request songs so we could hear our voice on the radio lol. i would sit in my room for hours get that busy tone but u get lucky every once and a while. you get to request who u want and alike 5 seconds to shout out a 150 people in the hood lol

• freethewave
    freethewave Members Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It aint jus hip hop.all ? on radio is watered down.rock sites'l no doubt be sayin the same ?

Fuuuuuckkkk kevin duuraaant
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    I just watched a VH1 special last night about the show Yo! MTV Raps. They talked about how MTV was all white rock when they started and eventually how the show Yo! TV Raps came about. They talked about how it became the #1 show on MTV and how people all across the world got their rap music from Yo! MTV Raps. They even said that people in other countries that spoke foreign languages learned English by watching Yo! MTV Raps.

All that is to say that my generation (I'm 40) built Hip Hop from the ground up. I know, I wasn't in the Bronx in the mid-70s plugging my sound system into a lamppost but I was i the mall in the early 80s begging my mother to buy that Run DMC record.

When you make a list of all they legendary groups from the Yo! MTV Raps generation (Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, NWA, Salt N Pepa, The Beastie Boys, Eric B and Rakim, Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane, Boogie Down Productions, Stetsasonic, etc....you could even count Tupac and Biggie) and you look at the impact that those groups had, not just nationwide, but INTERNATIONALLY. These were the groups that exposed the entire world to Black American culture via MTV. Then compare the groups I just named to Waka Flaka, 2 Chainz, Drake, Lil Wayne, Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West. You'd have to agree that this current generation isn't bringing much to the table compared to the Yo! MTV Raps generation.

Yo! MTV Raps exposed the entire world to Hip Hop. Now that the entire world knows what Hip Hop is, because of guys like Chuck D you have a new generation of rappers, who aren't that good in the first place, taking up space on the airwaves talking about the exact same thing that rappers were rapping about 20 years ago. Chuck is right, the major corporations and the rappers seemed to have worked in conjunction to destroy the legacy that his generation built.

And you can prove everything I just typed.
  • semi-auto-mato
    Options
    I just watched a VH1 special last night about the show Yo! MTV Raps. They talked about how MTV was all white rock when they started and eventually how the show Yo! TV Raps came about. They talked about how it became the #1 show on MTV and how people all across the world got their rap music from Yo! MTV Raps. They even said that people in other countries that spoke foreign languages learned English by watching Yo! MTV Raps.

All that is to say that my generation (I'm 40) built Hip Hop from the ground up. I know, I wasn't in the Bronx in the mid-70s plugging my sound system into a lamppost but I was i the mall in the early 80s begging my mother to buy that Run DMC record.

When you make a list of all they legendary groups from the Yo! MTV Raps generation (Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, NWA, Salt N Pepa, The Beastie Boys, Eric B and Rakim, Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane, Boogie Down Productions, Stetsasonic, etc....you could even count Tupac and Biggie) and you look at the impact that those groups had, not just nationwide, but INTERNATIONALLY. These were the groups that exposed the entire world to Black American culture via MTV. Then compare the groups I just named to Waka Flaka, 2 Chainz, Drake, Lil Wayne, Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West. You'd have to agree that this current generation isn't bringing much to the table compared to the Yo! MTV Raps generation.

Yo! MTV Raps exposed the entire world to Hip Hop. Now that the entire world knows what Hip Hop is, because of guys like Chuck D you have a new generation of rappers, who aren't that good in the first place, taking up space on the airwaves talking about the exact same thing that rappers were rapping about 20 years ago. Chuck is right, the major corporations and the rappers seemed to have worked in conjunction to destroy the legacy that his generation built.

we are in the same age group and just reading some of the names brings back good feelings but i disagree with some things u said. i think the current generation brings just as much to the table as we did. i dont understand why people say they are rapping about the same stuff like thats a problem...what else is there to rap about? the more things changed the more they stay the same...we danced, we wore jewelry, we bought cars, we spent money, we spoke out against the government, we told stories of the ghetto, we talked about relationships, we killed, we banged, we loved, and we hated....this generation is just talking about their lives the same as we did.

i say keep doing ya thing youngins

• semi-auto-mato
    Options
    this chuck d quote

So what can be done?

I believe that, artistically and culturally, the free radio air should be able to support local artists of whatever genre. Play 40 percent of your local artists, don’t suck up to major labels to the point where you neglect your own locale. It’s easier to do global than local. It’s easier to figure out how to be respected in your ‘hood than be a national artist, which only major corporations, radio stations, and record companies perpetuate. They endorse that somebody becomes national, but if you’re national without being local, then you’re fake. For example, Lupe Fiasco, Kanye West, and Common are all from Chicago, but they couldn’t be heard on their local radio stations until a major record label signed them. That’s plantationism; that’s slavery. So I plan in 2013 to have an ‘Occupy the Free Air’ protest across the United States.

a link to the article...its a good read even if you have different views about some stuff like me. i think chuck does a good job letting it be known why he feels the way he feels.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/10/19/public-enemy-s-chuck-d-on-25-years-the-election-music-slavery.html#
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Division is a good thing it allows for innovation and evolution
  • zombie
    edited June 2014
    Options

we are in the same age group and just reading some of the names brings back good feelings but i disagree with some things u said. i think the current generation brings just as much to the table as we did. i dont understand why people say they are rapping about the same stuff like thats a problem...what else is there to rap about? the more things changed the more they stay the same...we danced, we wore jewelry, we bought cars, we spent money, we spoke out against the government, we told stories of the ghetto, we talked about relationships, we killed, we banged, we loved, and we hated....this generation is just talking about their lives the same as we did.

i say keep doing ya thing youngins

The problem is not their subject matter it's their lack of skill, they talk about the same ? but they do not do it as well their overall projection is just not as good
  • zombie
    Options
    KNICKLYN wrote: »
    zombie wrote: »

how so ? Please explain

If everybody is copying everybody no one is working on their own sound because everyone is being influenced by each other.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    During the Yo! MTV Raps era we had

1. Public Enemy
    2. The Beastie Boys
    3. 2 Live Crew
    4. A Tribe Called Quest
    5. Eric B and Rakim
    6. NWA
    7. Too Short
    8. Ice T
    9. Boogie Down Productions
    10. Salt N Pepa
    11. X Clan
    12. MC Hammer

Show me that kind of diversity now. Show me 12 groups that are all different
  • freethewave
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    What confuses me is, you have Hip Hop creators, innovators, elders etc speaking and it's dismissed as invalid. But you have fakers, poachers, and leeches speaking and it's eaten up as gospel.

It would be wrong/dumb to follow someone blindly with what they say jus because you respect them in the art.heads can be jus as wrong as up n comers

Noone sees what a leache/faker says as gospel.u gone have to give examples cos u lost me there homie
  • semi-auto-mato
    Options

how so ? Please explain

If everybody is copying everybody no one is working on their own sound because everyone is being influenced by each other.

everyone is influenced by someone. we can clearly tell most times who someone favorite rapper was. we can do this with dudes that we argue as goats like nas influenced by rakim and jay influenced by kane. i dont think influence is a problem. now it would be great to see more competition in hip hop but i feel competition would come from diversity. i feel the competitive nature of hip hop would be on full display if radio stations were more diverse. this would bring out new and different sounds.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What confuses me is, you have Hip Hop creators, innovators, elders etc speaking and it's dismissed as invalid. But you have fakers, poachers, and leeches speaking and it's eaten up as gospel.

It would be wrong/dumb to follow someone blindly with what they say jus because you respect them in the art.heads can be jus as wrong as up n comers

Noone sees what a leache/faker says as gospel.u gone have to give examples cos u lost me there homie

you been lost throughout this whole thread. how are you a hip-hop fan and can't decipher a simple metaphor or connect the dots between a and b?

please tell me you're just dumbing down your posts to double your dollars.
  • freethewave
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »

you been lost throughout this whole thread. how are you a hip-hop fan and can't decipher a simple metaphor or connect the dots between a and b?

please tell me you're just dumbing down your posts to double your dollars.

Listen,i asked for examples,you gave none,i asked what he meant,you couldnt say and played it off that i was not smart

Stop with the u cant decipher metaphors,connect the dots ? when its evident u dont know what ur talkin bout or else ud giv answers

I know it must hurt ur feelins that someone dont follow blind what an old head say and not question it.i love the legends no ? but dont go along with whatever they say these days ask krs one

Waits for your next response. "you dont get it man,you stupid,you ignorant"

• semi-auto-mato
    Options

1. Public Enemy
    2. The Beastie Boys
    3. 2 Live Crew
    4. A Tribe Called Quest
    5. Eric B and Rakim
    6. NWA
    7. Too Short
    8. Ice T
    10. Salt N Pepa
    11. X Clan
    12. MC Hammer

are u saying that there is no diversity at all in hip hop now? thats not true...the diversity is there is just not in the mainstream like it was. so no i can not show you a list of 12 groups that diverse that get radio play across the board. i am saying radio stations should be more diverse with there playlist...they should play everyone from everywhere
  • semi-auto-mato
    Options

1. Public Enemy
    2. The Beastie Boys
    3. 2 Live Crew
    4. A Tribe Called Quest
    5. Eric B and Rakim
    6. NWA
    7. Too Short
    8. Ice T
    10. Salt N Pepa
    11. X Clan
    12. MC Hammer

on a side note from one old head to another it kills me when we start naming our artist like look how great our generation was and look how wack urs is. these are our kids...give them time to be great. u said u remember begging ur mom for run dmc albums...i bet u also remember ur mom screaming at u about how she wasnt trying to waste her money on that garbage. u remember how they didnt respect us. we gotta respect them and let them do their thing

• Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

1. Public Enemy
    2. The Beastie Boys
    3. 2 Live Crew
    4. A Tribe Called Quest
    5. Eric B and Rakim
    6. NWA
    7. Too Short
    8. Ice T
    10. Salt N Pepa
    11. X Clan
    12. MC Hammer

on a side note from one old head to another it kills me when we start naming our artist like look how great our generation was and look how wack urs is. these are our kids...give them time to be great. u said u remember begging ur mom for run dmc albums...i bet u also remember ur mom screaming at u about how she wasnt trying to waste her money on that garbage. u remember how they didnt respect us. we gotta respect them and let them do their thing

The difference is, our parents were in their 30s/40s at the time and were raised on Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, EWF, etc. Different time period, totally different genres. Rap was still new and considered a fad. And even then, we appreciated those artists as kids because their music is timeless. Now, we raise our kids that listen to the same genre of music we listened to as kids. There's no excuse for this drop off. ? is trash, period.
  • zombie
    Options

how so ? Please explain

everyone is influenced by someone. we can clearly tell most times who someone favorite rapper was. we can do this with dudes that we argue as goats like nas influenced by rakim and jay influenced by kane. i dont think influence is a problem. now it would be great to see more competition in hip hop but i feel competition would come from diversity. i feel the competitive nature of hip hop would be on full display if radio stations were more diverse. this would bring out new and different sounds.

I agree with you when it comes to the lyrics and rapping aspects, a little influence from your elders is a good thing.

But when it comes to the actual music production too much influence from outsiders is not a good thing. There will be less and less diversity because everyone is sounding the same. Public enemy did not sound like anything else the artist today have no push to do that. They compete against each other using the same styles.

When the west blew the ? up they sounded fresh, we never heard no ? like chronic before they developed their own sound we can't do that today we can't see nothing like that today too much ? riding looking for safe hits
  • semi-auto-mato
    edited June 2014
    Options

1. Public Enemy
    2. The Beastie Boys
    3. 2 Live Crew
    4. A Tribe Called Quest
    5. Eric B and Rakim
    6. NWA
    7. Too Short
    8. Ice T
    10. Salt N Pepa
    11. X Clan
    12. MC Hammer

The difference is, our parents were in their 30s/40s at the time and were raised on Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, EWF, etc. Different time period, totally different genres. Rap was still new and considered a fad. And even then, we appreciated those artists as kids because their music is timeless. Now, we raise our kids that listen to the same genre of music we listened to as kids. There's no excuse for this drop off. ? is trash, period.

if this generation has failed hip hop then its our fault. we dont preach acceptance or tolerance to these kids. we dont preach diversity. y'all keep telling them they trash and beneath us and its not true. man my wife and i love hip hop since we were kids. we would sit with our kids in the living room and show them pics of how we dressed, use our slang and explain it to them. we would show them videos. we would say man we were just being ourselves. i dont care if u were kool g rap knocking out more lights in a fight than con edison or kid n play doing it my way...just be who u are.

when my son rockin lil b talkin bout im cookin dad...i might say yeah well u better cook ya ass upstairs and clean that room but im proud that he likes what he likes...connects to the music. its his generation i cant...we cant dictate whats hot for them...let them be an individuals.

• semi-auto-mato
    Options

how so ? Please explain

I agree with you when it comes to the lyrics and rapping aspects, a little influence from your elders is a good thing.

But when it comes to the actual music production too much influence from outsiders is not a good thing. There will be less and less diversity because everyone is sounding the same. Public enemy did not sound like anything else the artist today have no push to do that. They compete against each other using the same styles.

When the west blew the ? up they sounded fresh, we never heard no ? like chronic before they developed their own sound we can't do that today we can't see nothing like that today too much ? riding looking for safe hits

u make a great point but dont u think that when the west blew up and created a different part of the reason they were able to do that was due to diversity and acceptance? they didnt have to sound like the east coast to get on the radio. just make good music and u will get played everywhere. if u localize radio it might be different ? out there but imma hear the same sounding stuff all day. if hot 97 played 75% ny/nj/ct hip hop there will never be another chronic or classic hip hop album ever...there will only be regional classics and that is bad imo
  • zombie
    Options

how so ? Please explain

u make a great point but dont u think that when the west blew up and created a different part of the reason they were able to do that was due to diversity and acceptance? they didnt have to sound like the east coast to get on the radio. just make good music and u will get played everywhere. if u localize radio it might be different ? out there but imma hear the same sounding stuff all day. if hot 97 played 75% ny/nj/ct hip hop there will never be another chronic or classic hip hop album ever...there will only be regional classics and that is bad imo

No, they blew up because people all over were willing to listen to something different that still had a certain level of quality. People will listen to anything that is good but for there to be something good in the first place it has to be built.

for the west coast to create that different sound and style they had to do it on their own, build their own system, build and support their own system of rappers, producers and promoters. The south did the same thing

The artist created their own home grown movement they stayed in their own little cocoon and then they took it national.