Video: Charlamagne Tha ? : "Tyler Perry Paints A Very Negative Portrayal Of Black Men"

Options

Comments

• bigmackrapper
    bigmackrapper Members Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    Options
    black men paint a negative vibe about themselves.we cant blame white folks or tyler perry anymore
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why Charlemagne talking like he's providing some novel information? This ? has been well established. The people that don't support Tyler's movies know it. The people that do support Tyler's movies know it too, they just don't give a ? .
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You do know that "For Colored Girls" was remake from the play, right? Also, what happens in FCG happens all the damn time. Females out here making bad choices.

Just like ? are blaming this ? , tirelessly, on Tyler Perry

If we had multitudes of positive black men out here, then whatever TP's opinion, our action and lives would suggest otherwise.

So basically ? want TP to show their good side and they not even doing whats right for our community as a whole.

We gotta stop finger pointing out here and make change from inner to outer.
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One thing I don't get with n*ggas worldwide is...

When I see another black man is being successfull in any field I know I don't have to agree with his methods to achieving his success 100%. I don't even have to like or respect him or his lifestyle/ religion/ other lifechoices etc. What I will do is study what made him successful and see which parts I could possibly incorporate. That's how you grow as a person.

Everyone seems to get it except n*ggas. N*ggas got this fake pride. They hate to see a brother come up. All jealousy and envy. I think that's the real reason a Tyler Perry gets this level of criticism. Instead of taking game from Tyler to better yourself ? a*s n*ggas would rather criticize him for frivolous reasons while they give outsiders a pass for doing the same thing or worse. N*ggas get fake pro-black and act like they care about the community, but that's all a facade. N*ggas hate Tyler but support rappers that also inforce negative stereotypes on black people. They don't attack outsiders when outsiders do what they accuse Tyler of...
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    You do know that "For Colored Girls" was remake from the play, right? Also, what happens in FCG happens all the damn time. Females out here making bad choices.

If we had multitudes of positive black men out here, then whatever TP's opinion, our action and lives would suggest otherwise.

So basically ? want TP to show their good side and they not even doing whats right for our community as a whole.

You really going to defend TP. Nobody is saying that he can't show men behaving badly, but this ? doesn't have to fill every one of his movies up with ? Dastardly level villains and paint that as the typical successful Black man.

I don't know where you live, but there are plenty of positive Black male role models out there, so no, his depictions of us are not accurate or justified.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Muhannad X wrote: »

When I see another black man is being successfull in any field I know I don't have to agree with his methods to achieving his success 100%. I don't even have to like or respect him or his lifestyle/ religion/ other lifechoices etc. What I will do is study what made him successful and see which parts I could possibly incorporate. That's how you grow as a person.

Everyone seems to get it except n*ggas. N*ggas got this fake pride. They hate to see a brother come up. All jealousy and envy. I think that's the real reason a Tyler Perry gets this level of criticism. Instead of taking game from Tyler to better yourself ? a*s n*ggas would rather criticize him for frivolous reasons while they give outsiders a pass for doing the same thing or worse. N*ggas get fake pro-black and act like they care about the community, but that's all a facade. N*ggas hate Tyler but support rappers that also inforce negative stereotypes on black people. They don't attack outsiders when outsiders do what they accuse Tyler of...
    CS
    but theres also a flipside to that. If theres a person that pulled himself from the bottom and his rags to riches story includes gang activity, drug dealing and/or gunplay then he is not excused for this behavior he is heralded
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    He's making money and he hires black folks but his movies suck except the Why Did I Get Married series.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    actually he's got it backwards

he actually makes Black women look bad in his movies

consistently he shows them as having full of drama, being ? , blindly religious, choosing undesirable men as mates, and generally dragging black men down

the Daddy's Little Girls movie made Black women look horrible........not to mention the Why Did I get Married movies.............they are basically documentaries on why you shouldn't get involved with a BW

and ironically BW continue to support these ? images of themselves by consuming this ? :(

Right...

Tyler Perry’s films consistently reduce black women to desperate, lonely, bitter women, who can't get it right

And the way that most if not all these women’s lives are “fixed” by the end of the film is by a man

I'm ashamed that bw continue to support his films but what's the alternative...there really aren't any films that truly cater to our demographic

• obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »

HOW SWAY!?!!
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »
    since when are film characters representative of all people?

Oh snap, that movie had a woman who was a witch in it, now i guess all women are witches.

It's fiction
    who cares

You cannot compare a witch to someone playing a character that represents a real person.Just sayin.

Tyler has his lane.As said BW love his corny, repetitive, over dramatic and man bashing movies.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I always consider his movies black lifetime films
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As does Charlamange.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why not flip it into, black people have a sense of pride where we hold our people to a higher standard. We don't just respect someone because they're making money, the how is the most important part. If we don't respect the how, we don't respect you.

IMO your train of thought is much worse. You seem to be caught up in a world where dollar signs is the main priority. That kind of outlook on life is 100% poison.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    He's making money and he hires black folks but his movies suck except including the Why Did I Get Married series.

• MoneyLuver
    MoneyLuver Members Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why not flip it into, black people have a sense of pride where we hold our people to a higher standard. We don't just respect someone because they're making money, the how is the most important part. If we don't respect the how, we don't respect you.

IMO your train of thought is much worse. You seem to be caught up in a world where dollar signs is the main priority. That kind of outlook on life is 100% poison.

Black folks and ? don't even live up to the words u just typed boy. Calm down
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    black men paint a negative vibe about themselves.we cant blame white folks or tyler perry anymore

even tho more black males are in graduate school than ever?
  • MoneyLuver
    Options
    ? a "how" and ? a "when". All we care about is the "now"

Lets keep it real here.

I ain't talkin about ya mama or ya daddy or your sister or brotha. I'm talkin about everybody else. Americans as a whole are the same way for the most part. U got a few Gems like myself here n there but goodluck finding em
  • MoneyLuver
    Options

even tho more black males are in graduate school than ever?

Lets not ignore the bottomline to win a debate.

We're still enrolled in very low numbers and we're still going thru the beginning phases of us being the first generation to have some wealth.
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You took my post way out of context. Who was talking about respect? I specifically said "I don't even have to like or respect him or his lifestyle/ religion/ other lifechoices etc."

All I said was as a man you can choose to study the reasons behind another man's success and incorporate what you see fit for your own benefit as opposed to complaining about petty stuff without being productive. Every other race gets this basic principle, but n*ggas somehow don't seem to get this which is one of the reasons they remain at the bottom in most societies. My post basically said you can take aspects from someone's success and use it for your own benefit. What you were saying didn't have much to do with my post.

FYI Success is relative but in this capitalistic system we're living in one of the things we can measure the level by is money (whether you like it or not).

I respect the fact a brother went from sleeping in his car to making approx. 80 million a year, networth 400 million in a relatively short timespan. He achieved this without having a network like these Jews have, in a hostile environment which the entertainment industry in the US is for a black man and without having a white man hold his hand and 'giving' him stuff. I also respect the fact he employs alot of black actors who you rarely see star anywhere else. IDGAF about his sexual orientation and don't like his movies, but I can respect those facts.

lol @ Higher standard. If what you said was true you would've had thriving blackowned businesses in black communities instead of outsiders draining their communities. This is one time I'm not feeling your post (which is fine).
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JokerKing wrote: »
    I always consider his movies black lifetime films
    Truth be told that's all they are.

Except they feature a man wearing a wig and a dress....and lipstick....and pearls.