When exactly is the golden era of hiphop

Options
whatevathehell
whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
They got this golden era tour rollilng through charlotte this weekend and while I want to go see the acts they got lined up dont represent the best of the era or even the time frame itself..I dont know yall let me know would you drop 40-60 bucks on some tickets.

pm7fc.jpg

the geto boys supposed to be performing too and thats really the only group Im excited to see. Epmd had some hits but I was never up on there albums like that and I was and still am a big naughty by nature fan but treach by himself...even if he did write all vinny rhymes....? that ? it aint the same. Das efx were like 2 hit wonders...ANd rakim came a little bit before what I consider the golden era

who would yall rather see or have replaced.

Comments

• _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    To me personally I think its 87-99. But I think its from 87-96 , I see some say 87-94.
  • EarPlug0128
    EarPlug0128 Members Posts: 282 ✭✭
    Options
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    88-97. I think the golden era ended when B.I.G. died, and it became more about money than skills. Shiny suits and all that, we findin our way back, and you can get what you want in hip-hop today because it's so vast(thanks internet). But every year from 88 to 97 there was a seminal album that influences a lot of what you see today. I have a bias because I grew up during that era, but at the same time, you have to realize that everybody doesn't listen to the same thing as everyone else anymore, so it's hard to have one of those stuck in time records because there are so many options now(thanks internet). But if you ask me after B.I.G. died, money began to precede the art and in turn diluted the music. ? don't even wait for albums like they used to. There's a lot of good music out there now, but the difference is, we all don't share it, when we do, the culture moves, and fellowship is one of the best parts of being human. The closest thing we've had since then was that Jay album droppin at midnight last summer, I was lurkin then, but we all got it at the same time and listened, enjoyed, debated and critiqued all together, in the time period I'm referencing, ? was doin that like every 3 months. Plus back then, the only way to know what was goin on in the hood across the country, was to listen to the music. It was a dope, dope time.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usually two golden eras 84-88
    91-95
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
  • _Goldie_
    Options
  • the ghost
    the ghost Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr.Evil wrote: »
    To me personally I think its 87-99.

Same here.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a sad thread. I'm 40. When I first got online I joined a messageboard called oldschoolhiphop.com which was comprised of people in my generation. We agreed that old school is from 79-86 and Golden Era is from 87-91.

The reason the Golden Era is from 87-91 is because there were no sampling laws. You could sample anything from James Brown to Marvin Gaye to Sly Stone to Aretha Franklin and you didn't have to pay for it. As a result songs would have a main sample and then the DJ/ Producer would scratch in samples (or cuts) from other records. Albums like Strait Outta Compton, Niggaz4life, Amerikkas Most Wanted, 3 Feet High And Rising, Critical Beatdown, It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back, Fear of a Black Planet and Paul's Boutique couldn't exist after 1991 because the sample laws changed.

The turning point was when Biz Markie sampled a song called "Alone Again" by Gilbert O'Sullivan in 1991. Biz took the title of the song, sampled the beat and re-sang the chorus. He tried to clear the sample but O'Sullivan wouldn't clear it. For some reason Biz released the song anyway even though O'Sullivan said he couldn't sample it. So Gilbert O'Sullivan took Biz Markie to court. Rather than plead guilty, Biz took it to trial and argued that he's not guilty because everybody samples. He said "that's part of the artform". Well, the judge wasn't having it and likened Biz to a common thief. Ever since then you have to clear every sample, drum hit, scratch and bassline. So as a result, you don't hear the complexity of samples that you heard back in the late 80s/early 90s.

By the time it got to Nas, Biggie and Tupac's era of the mid 90s you had to clear all of your samples. Dr Dre and the guys on the West coast replayed samples. Down South they used drum machines and keyboards and made original compositions. Guys on the East Coast (Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Black Moon, Wu Tang, etc.) sampled but it wasn't the same. Back in the 80s you could have 3 or 4 scratches from different records all on the same song. But that all came to a halt after the Gilbert O'Sullivan trial.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    From 1987 to 1997.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • _Goldie_
    Options
    I dont get how anyone can say 87-91 when hip hop's peak quality wise came after 91.
  • blackbloc
    blackbloc Members Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    i think a lot of poster are confusing a golden era with the commercial successful ear. i thought a golden ear was when something was seen as pure and not tainted with $$. so id would say 1979-1990
  • Stew
    Options
    I dont get how anyone can say 87-91 when hip hop's peak quality wise came after 91.

Thats what Im sayin. ? was barely even national during those years.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

People born between 1960-1980 would disagree with you

• blackbloc
    blackbloc Members Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_age_hip_hop

hip hop's "golden age" is a name given to a period in mainstream hip hop, usually cited as being a period varying in time frames during the mid 1980s to the mid 1990s said to be characterized by its diversity, quality, innovation and influence.[1][2][3][4][5][6] There were various types of subject matter, while the music was experimental and the sampling eclectic.[7] The artists most often associated with the phrase are Run–D.M.C., Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, Boogie Down Productions, Eric B. & Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, De La Soul, Gang Starr, Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth, EPMD, A Tribe Called Quest, Slick Rick, and the Jungle Brothers.[8] Releases by these acts co-existed in this period with, and were as commercially viable as, those of early gangsta rap artists such as Ice-T, Geto Boys and N.W.A, the sex raps of 2 Live Crew, and party-oriented music by acts such as Kid 'n Play, The Fat Boys, DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince and MC Hammer.[9]
  • _Goldie_
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Many born during that time would agree with me as well.
  • Stew
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Most of those people dont even listen to rap.
  • _Goldie_
    edited June 2014
    Options
    To add to my point, most rappers(born before 1980) top 5 consist of 90s rappers.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think it's an opinion thing and a generational thing....as cris rock said...whatever ? was popping when you started getting ? is gonna be your golden age
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the golden era of hip hop begins in either 84 or 85. i like to say 1985 starting with king of rock. from that time until the mid 90's creativity in hip hop was booming. i would say the golden era ended in 96. i dont agree with golden era ending in 91or 92 because of the sampling cases. its hard to say that the era ended before 96 because 93 (snoop) and 94 (nas) started a resurgence of a string of classics that lasted from 93 - 96. so 85-96 is hip hop golden era imo.
  • Stew
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    i think it's an opinion thing and a generational thing....as cris rock said...whatever ? was popping when you started getting ? is gonna be your golden age

Damn, might have a point there lol
  • semi-auto-mato
    Options
    Stew wrote: »

we had our first movie in 84, multi platinum in 85, grammy nominated in 86...we had mainstream success mid 80s and most acts that became legends were formed by that time...? hammer dropped lets get it started in 87 and we all know what hammer did...we was national...about to go global in few years

• Stew
    Options
    Stew wrote: »

we had our first movie in 84, multi platinum in 85, grammy nominated in 86...we had mainstream success mid 80s and most acts that became legends were formed by that time...? hammer dropped lets get it started in 87 and we all know what hammer did...we was national...about to go global in few years

I know what you sayin but as far as mainstream, mainstream on a culture level not just an album or 2, ? didnt get poppin till early 90's.
  • semi-auto-mato
    Options
    KNICKLYN wrote: »
    how many era's are there anyway? and what era of rap are we living in now

there is no set amount of era's in hip hop currently...it can be anywhere from 3 (birth, old school, new shool) to 10 or more depending on who u ask and how they want to classify any given block of time