Can an Upstate/Western NY rapper truly have "authentic New York style"?

Options
dr funky resurrected
dr funky resurrected Members Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in The Reason
Here I worded it better

Comments

• Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yup, N.Y.is N.Y.just don't sound like you from the south.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No a Upstate NY rapper can't have a style that somebody from New York City has. Let's face it, the upstate rapper can't do videos in the middle of Bed-Sty surrounded by 100 people. He can't do a video in Harlem surrounded by 100 people. He can't even really hang out in New York like that because he doesn't know his way around and doesn't know enough people. ? will be constantly checking him and testing him. He'll have to do shows with a bunch of goons backstage waiting to start trouble.

Unless he either has paid security or an enterouge of 20-40 people he's not going to last 5 minutes in New York City with a hot single, a buzz and a bunch of jealous ? wanting to take his spot.

Look what happened to Tupac when he thought he could just walk around New York City with $40,000 worth of jewelry at 3:00am.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    n.mcfly wrote: »
    Yup, N.Y.is N.Y.just don't sound like you from the south.

• nyst8ofmin
    nyst8ofmin Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why not? buffalo, Rochester, Albany, Syracuse are all pretty big cities.
  • dr funky resurrected
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    No a Upstate NY rapper can't have a style that somebody from New York City has. Let's face it, the upstate rapper can't do videos in the middle of Bed-Sty surrounded by 100 people. He can't do a video in Harlem surrounded by 100 people. He can't even really hang out in New York like that because he doesn't know his way around and doesn't know enough people. ? will be constantly checking him and testing him. He'll have to do shows with a bunch of goons backstage waiting to start trouble.

Unless he either has paid security or an enterouge of 20-40 people he's not going to last 5 minutes in New York City with a hot single, a buzz and a bunch of jealous ? wanting to take his spot.

Look what happened to Tupac when he thought he could just walk around New York City with $40,000 worth of jewelry at 3:00am.

So to you "ny style" is in harlem surrounded by 100 people?
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As someone form Upstate NY (Albany) I say we can. There's a lot of talent in Upstate NY, the only problem is nobody wants to travel here to discover us. Lol at that clown talkin about ? Upstate is scared of NYC. NYC is one of the safest places in the country. Buffalo, Rochestor and Albany are all labeled more dangerous cities than NYC.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I lived in Albany back in 05/06. There's a small Hip Hop community but its nothing like NYC. You'd be lucky to get shows in Troy and Schenechtady(sp?) but even then, like you said you need a sponsor to pay for a nationwide tour and spins on MTV/BET.
  • dr funky resurrected
    Options
    As someone form Upstate NY (Albany) I say we can. There's a lot of talent in Upstate NY, the only problem is nobody wants to travel here to discover us. Lol at that clown talkin about ? Upstate is scared of NYC. NYC is one of the safest places in the country. Buffalo, Rochestor and Albany are all labeled more dangerous cities than NYC.

WORD!

Lol NYC media outlets never have and never will reach out to us. Facts
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    I don't see why not.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the first mistake is trying to make music that fits the "style" of the area you live in or around. just make good music and ? it if you're fitting in with what's hot in your area. fitting in isn't something you really want to do anyway. just look at guys like j. cole, outkast/goodie mob, kendrick, maybe even drake (i dunno what the rest of toronto's rap scene sounds like) they didn't try to make music that the rest of the folks in their area did, otherwise we probably wouldn't have heard of them.

rant over though, no kanye.
  • qawshun
    Options
    Me and my squad are proof of that you can. Not to mention those down in the city adopted that southern style. Niccas around my way ready especially me don't ? with that sound at all. This not the place to flood the thread with my music but for those who heard my ? on here you know what's up.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    they use our styles then claim we aint worth a sh*t
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    they use our styles then claim we aint worth a sh*t

Your "style " is just a spin off what we created, never forget that. Y'all seemed to be these past few years
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    our style and slang is way different
    & that's besides the point tho
  • dr funky resurrected
    Options
    Me and my squad are proof of that you can. Not to mention those down in the city adopted that southern style. Niccas around my way ready especially me don't ? with that sound at all. This not the place to flood the thread with my music but for those who heard my ? on here you know what's up.

No offense don't know who you are
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Where you from?

And post some of your stuff in here make this ? a Upstate NY showcase thread.

• qawshun
    Options

No offense don't know who you are

None taken when I get off I'll post a few. Newburgh, ny we bout a hr and change from the city
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nobody could tell me Jay Elec wasn't from new York when I first heard him. The answer is yes. You'll be what you're influenced by.
  • qawshun
    edited June 2014
    Options

here's the link to the rest of my ? https://soundcloud.com/neme-4

my right hand man

My other right hand man lol he makes damn near all my beats

@dr funky resurrected
    @white715
  • blackbloc
    blackbloc Members Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    up state Ny needs to stopping trying to jack that t dot sound.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    Were f#ckin way better don't hit me wit the feelings bs
    Stop being childish
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    Were f#ckin way bet2ter don't hit me wit the feelings bs
    Stop being childish

Stop with your ? my ? , you're getting annoying
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only Buffalo, Mount Vernon and Yonkers. ? the rest of them racist ? .
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options