Louis Vuitton sued over claims that store boss called black people 'slaves who eat dirt

Options
MasterJayN100
MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/louis-vuitton-sued-over-claims-3782920

Vuitton-Main.jpg

Top fashion house Louis Vuitton is being sued over racism claims after a boss at a flagship store allegedly told an African employee: “Black people are slaves who eat dirt off the floor.”

Sales associate Oliver Koffi claims he was in a stock room packing a pair of shoes for a customer when his manager began the shocking race rant in front of stunned staff.

He alleged that the manager called Barack Obama a “muppet” and said America would be better off with “Miss Piggy” as its president because “Muslim people... don’t eat pork”.

Mr Koffi says he was left humiliated by the “black slaves” slur while working at the label’s store in Central London.

Details of the allegations emerged in papers which will be presented to a Central London Employment Tribunal on July 18.

Mr Koffi is suing Louis Vuitton for racist discrimination and harassment.

He claims his manager’s tone of voice was “cold and serious” as he made the comments during a discussion on the origins of the English language with him and three other members of staff in December last year.

Mr Koffi said: “During this discussion, my manager quite randomly stated that ‘black people are slaves and eat dirt off the floor’.

“This comment was grossly offensive and extremely humiliating.

“His ­reference to slavery in this day and age with regards to black people is quite frankly revolting.”

Mr Koffi was a contract worker at the Louis Vuitton Townhouse at London’s iconic Selfridges department store at the time of the incident.

He says he recorded the offensive comments on tape after concerns over the manager’s alleged “racist conduct”.

He added: “He went on a rant about black people and other races and religions. He jumped from subject to subject, making comments about other races and religions. He made comments about Barack Obama.

“All of his comments were derogatory and a clear illustration of his prejudices towards other races and religions.

Louis-Vuitton-Selfridges.jpg

Jun 28, 2014 21:50
By Matthew Drake

The top fashion house is being taken to an employment tribunal over allegations relating to its store in London's Selfridge's

Offended: Oliver Koffi

Top fashion house Louis Vuitton is being sued over racism claims after a boss at a flagship store allegedly told an African employee: “Black people are slaves who eat dirt off the floor.”

Sales associate Oliver Koffi claims he was in a stock room packing a pair of shoes for a customer when his manager began the shocking race rant in front of stunned staff.

He alleged that the manager called Barack Obama a “muppet” and said America would be better off with “Miss Piggy” as its president because “Muslim people... don’t eat pork”.

Mr Koffi says he was left humiliated by the “black slaves” slur while working at the label’s store in Central London.

Details of the allegations emerged in papers which will be presented to a Central London Employment Tribunal on July 18.

Mr Koffi is suing Louis Vuitton for racist discrimination and harassment.

He claims his manager’s tone of voice was “cold and serious” as he made the comments during a discussion on the origins of the English language with him and three other members of staff in December last year.

Mr Koffi said: “During this discussion, my manager quite randomly stated that ‘black people are slaves and eat dirt off the floor’.

“This comment was grossly offensive and extremely humiliating.

“His ­reference to slavery in this day and age with regards to black people is quite frankly revolting.”

Mr Koffi was a contract worker at the Louis Vuitton Townhouse at London’s iconic Selfridges department store at the time of the incident.

He says he recorded the offensive comments on tape after concerns over the manager’s alleged “racist conduct”.

He added: “He went on a rant about black people and other races and religions. He jumped from subject to subject, making comments about other races and religions. He made comments about Barack Obama.

“All of his comments were derogatory and a clear illustration of his prejudices towards other races and religions.

Louis Vuitton Selfridges Workplace: The Louis Vuitton Townhouse at London’s Selfridges

“His comments were offensive and degrading. I confronted him about his statement that ‘black people are slaves and eat dirt off the floor’.

“I told him that I was offended by his comment. He did not deny making the comment. He apologised and claimed it was a ‘joke’. It was not a joke at all.”

Mr Koffi says the manager, who left his job following a disciplinary proceeding, had previously questioned him about his nationality, asking, “where are you originally from?” and often referred to customers by their skin colour.

He alleges that the manager’s frequent remarks about Asian people and his comments about some Louis Vuitton products being “s***” because they were “made in China” created a “hostile and intimidating” working environment.

His solicitor Lawrence Davies, of Equal Justice solicitors, said: “The case will set the 21st century bar as to what employers have to do to prevent racism in the workplace.”

Louis Vuitton accepts that the racist comment was made but defends the claim on the basis the company had taken all reasonably practicable steps to prevent the racist comment.

High-end fashion has recently faced a barrage of racism claims, with models Naomi Campbell and Imam supporting worldwide diversity campaigns.

Yesterday a spokeswoman for Louis Vuitton said: “Louis Vuitton has a zero-tolerance policy to harassment of any kind.

“This reported sentiment is in total violation of the Louis Vuitton Ethical charter.

“This issue was investigated, and the manager in question no longer works within the company.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/louis-vuitton-sued-over-claims-3782920#ixzz36BFSSdFF
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Comments

• Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol that is so ridiculous. slaves don't eat dirt.

emancipated african americans eat dirt
    For generations, the eating of clay-rich dirt has been a curious but persistent custom in some rural areas of Mississippi and other Southern states, practiced over the years by poor whites and blacks.

Dr. Frate says nearly every culture has passed through a phase of earth eating, known as geophagy. But it appears to be most prevalent these days among rural black women in the South, some of whom say they eat a handful a day, snacking from bags or jars in which they keep dirt that has been dug from a favorite clay bank, baked and, often, seasoned with vinegar and salt.

It is difficult to say how prevalent dirt-eating is today. But in 1975, among 56 black women questioned by Dr. Frate as part of a larger study on nutrition in rural Holmes County, 32 of them said they ate dirt. The survey also showed that the ingestion of dirt tended to be more common in pregnancy.

1984. new york times

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/02/13/us/southern-practice-of-eating-dirt-shows-signs-of-waning.html
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *yawn* yet another typical race story.

looks like he might have a good case though. looks like the manager should've been reprimanded a long time ago. If that's the case, LV dropped the ball there, and they should be held accountable.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Darius wrote: »

i feed mine dirt
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »
    Darius wrote: »

i feed mine dirt

doubt they complain
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he could've been more creative with his racism
  • Ip man
    Ip man Members Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    consider the source... as superior as that man feels above the other guy , he is also there with him selling the same stuff for a living. people are so quick to look down on others without considering their own circumstances.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all ain't gon do nun
  • Fly society513
    Fly society513 Members Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    That's why you wouldn't catch me in Gucci prada or Louis Vuitton. They don't make clothes for black people man. I'll stick to urban wear and other ? . ? em all man
    Only reason people wearing it anyway is because its trendy and also expensive which is dumb. Some of their things are okay.

• CHICAGO_BREED
    CHICAGO_BREED Members Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's why you wouldn't catch me in Gucci prada or Louis Vuitton. They don't make clothes for black people man. I'll stick to urban wear and other ? . ? em all man
    Only reason people wearing it anyway is because its trendy and also expensive which is dumb. Some of their things are okay.

Yea I know man, but most of that ? be plain. I had one pair of prada shoes I got from Dubai and those ? was uncomfortable as ? , I gave em away. To each's own tho.
  • MasterJayN100
    Options

Ur right as hell tho.they dont make clothes for black folks but they love our money though.we got rappers making videos about their clothes but behind closed doors we all type of racial slurs.we need to start supporting our own brands.
  • Fly society513
    Fly society513 Members Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yea I know man, but most of that ? be plain. I had one pair of prada shoes I got from Dubai and those ? was uncomfortable as ? , I gave em away. To each's own tho.
    I agree. You paying for that name. The I've always liked the accessories though. I got some Louis Vuitton glasses my brother gave me. I love them but them ? feel fragile like ima break them
  • CHICAGO_BREED
    CHICAGO_BREED Members Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ur right as hell tho.they dont make clothes for black folks but they love our money though.we got rappers making videos about their clothes but behind closed doors we all type of racial slurs.we need to start supporting our own brands.

Yea we do need to support our own brothers and sisters in fashion BUT we don't have much. Y'all be thinking Kanye crazy but that's what he rants about how they don't want blacks in that sector. The highest they want us to go is t-shirts and custom hats. Sad G, y'all better pay attention to what Kanye spit

• Ip man
    Ip man Members Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never allow yourself to feel inferior to anyone
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From Ny To L.A to Brazil to London white folks are feeling all the same.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options

Sounds like my nephew.That fool actually paid $200 for a belt, pays $100 plus for jeans and did not go to his JR prom because he could not get these $1000 pair of shoes. I tried explaining to him that these crackas don't want his black ass wearing that ? and ow it's not worth it, but you know how 16 year olds are.

• THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anyone who wears louis V is automatically branded as a ? Leming to me. A clone...a ? void of all self asteem and self worth and probably, most likely, any kind of resolve whatsoever.

What would possess you to pay that kind of money for a clothing item when you coukd use that same bread to invest in something/someone beneficial?
  • MasterJayN100
    Options
    ? dont need all that expensive ? on to look good.you wasted 100's or maybe thousands on ? that's gonna wear down in a few years anyway
  • LaAmoureux
    LaAmoureux Members Posts: 6
    Options
    I wonder why this story does not rouse my indignation? And I say this without affectation..
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? dont need all that expensive ? on to look good.you wasted 100's or maybe thousands on ? that's gonna wear down in a few years anyway

Actually most designer ?

• MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MallyG wrote: »

Actually most designer ?

Phucked that up on mobile. lol.....

But what I was gettin' @ is while the "high" designer ? is expensive, the build quality for the most part is second to none. If u take moderate care of it, it will last you way more than a few years (especially leather goods).... U get what pay for, but to each his/her own.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? still gonna buy/worship the clothes

Fixed; damn shame.