This NWA casting Call is one of the most Racist Things I have ever read

Options
indyman87
indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in For The Grown & Sexy
What is going on? First Tupac bombed on Broadway and now this?

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/is-this-straight-outta-compton-casting-call-racist-9612942.html

Posted by Sande Allesi Casting, the notice is looking for 'A', 'B', 'C' and 'D' girls, and though these are groups not rankings, does show clear associations, with the company looking for all colours when it comes to "the hottest of the hot" and specifically African American girls when it comes to the characters described as "poor, not in good shape".

SAG OR NON UNION CASTING NOTICE FOR FEMALES-ALL ETHNICITIES- from the late 80's. Shoots on "Straight Outta Compton". Shoot date TBD. We are pulling photos for the director of featured extras. VERY IMPORTANT – You MUST live in the Los Angeles area (Orange County is fine too) to work on this show. DO NOT SUBMIT if you live out of the area. Nobody is going to be flying into LA to do extra work on this show - and don't tell me you are willing to fly in.

SAG OR NON UNION FEMALES - PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR SPECIFIC BREAKDOWN. DO NOT EMAIL IN FOR MORE THAN ONE CATEGORY:

A GIRLS: These are the hottest of the hottest. Models. MUST have real hair - no extensions, very classy looking, great bodies. You can be black, white, asian, hispanic, mid eastern, or mixed race too. Age 18-30. Please email a current color photo, your name, Union status, height/weight, age, city in which you live and phone number to: SandeAlessiCasting@gmail.com subject line should read: A GIRLS

B GIRLS: These are fine girls, long natural hair, really nice bodies. Small waists, nice hips. You should be light-skinned. Beyonce is a prototype here. Age 18-30. Please email a current color photo, your name, Union status, height/weight, age, city in which you live and phone number to: SandeAlessiCasting@gmail.com subject line should read: B GIRLS

C GIRLS: These are African American girls, medium to light skinned with a weave. Age 18-30. Please email a current color photo, your name, Union status, height/weight, age, city in which you live and phone number to: SandeAlessiCasting@gmail.com subject line should read: C GIRLS

D GIRLS: These are African American girls. Poor, not in good shape. Medium to dark skin tone. Character types. Age 18-30. Please email a current color photo, your name, Union status, height/weight, age, city in which you live and phone number to: SandeAlessiCasting@gmail.com subject line should read: D GIRLS

Straight Outta Compton has a scheduled release date of 14 August, 2015.

Comments

• hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This kind of casting is somewhat known. Often if you put out a casting asking for Black women none will show up, but if you put mixed then all of the sistas show up.

Also Black people claim everyone so why not let them take your jobs.
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Put this in the Grown n Sexy
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not this ? again
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    indyman87 wrote: »

D GIRLS: These are African American girls. Poor, not in good shape. Medium to dark skin tone. Character types. Age 18-30. Please email a current color photo, your name, Union status, height/weight, age, city in which you live and phone number to: SandeAlessiCasting@gmail.com subject line should read: D GIRLS

Theres a joke about an IC chic in here somewhere..........
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Copper
    Options
    Is it racist?

“its preference" - IC females
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everyone is racist
  • Phantom Pain
    Phantom Pain Members Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stop crying...face it, the way they rated the ? they lookin for is how the ? is. Real hair, bangin bodies, classy chicks, them hoes rated A's in anybody book. Busted ? with weave n out of shape are D's, face it. step ya looks, exercise, education, n employment level up if u wanna be an A
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is it racist?

I'd say it's more about objectifying women. even though "rating" women like that is something men mostly do, it's kind of an ? move to make it publicly clear that's how you're categorizing them for the movie.

but yeah there are also some obvious racial undertones in the post. the fact that "A" girls are every other kind of race that isn't black, and then B through D are all based on how dark a woman's skin tone is. that's kinda ? up. even though they say it's not a rating, but it just makes them look bad. they should've just taken all of the women's photos at the same place and sorted them once they received them all.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    I wonder how many D ? are gonna try to get A parts
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Copper
    Options
    D women aren't upset bc they are being judged and objectified they're gonna be upset bc their not considered A women
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    Options
    That Broadway play didn't have ? to do with Tupac. They just used his songs the play was about racial indifferences. They had an actor play a guy that just got out of jail or something like that. So, don't call that a Tupac failed project.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    Pico wrote: »
    I guess I'm a C
    Fml

I would classify you as an A or B just because ur probably mixed. Unfortunately for the sistas they get the ? end of the stick YET again.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Movie fin to be trash anyway
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Movie fin to be trash anyway

It's a 50/50 as of right now maybe it will be a hit or miss.

Since i'm relocating to Seattle by the end of 2015 if my cards are right i'll drive down to Los Angeles to catch this movie. I know it will be released nationwide, but I want to capture that cool moment live. So, i'll be down the westside. I'll be sporting my Eazy-E shirt.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess I'm a C
    Fml

I would classify you as an A or B just because ur probably mixed. Unfortunately for the sistas they get the ? end of the stick YET again.

Pico gets a C because she mixed real hair with hair of unknown origin. It's a technicality really.
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they should have left skin tone and race out of the descriptions
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Pico too Hindu to be higher than a D

• GorillaWitAttitude
    edited July 2014
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    I guess I'm a C
    Fml

Pico gets a C because she mixed real hair with hair of unknown origin. It's a technicality really.

Oh well she fits the bill then.
    aka_OG wrote: »
    they should have left skin tone and race out of the descriptions

Actually no because they need the movie to be realistic. I'll be catching this ? though. Hopefully, i'll be on the westcoast when it comes out.
  • SixSickSins
    SixSickSins Members Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? disgusting.

Would never support something like this
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is it racist?

I'd say it's more about objectifying women. even though "rating" women like that is something men mostly do, it's kind of an ? move to make it publicly clear that's how you're categorizing them for the movie.

but yeah there are also some obvious racial undertones in the post. the fact that "A" girls are every other kind of race that isn't black, and then B through D are all based on how dark a woman's skin tone is. that's kinda ? up. even though they say it's not a rating, but it just makes them look bad. they should've just taken all of the women's photos at the same place and sorted them once they received them all.

"A GIRLS: These are the hottest of the hottest. Models. MUST have real hair - no extensions, very classy looking, great bodies. You can be black, white, asian, hispanic..."
  • EarPlug0128
    EarPlug0128 Members Posts: 282 ✭✭
    Options
    "You should be light skinned" Wow.