So Wu Tang Outlasted Death Row, Bad Boy, The Roc, Flipmode, Terror Squad, No Limit, The Firm

Options
13»

Comments

• bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Man, I just did a Wiki search on Ghostface. According to Wikipedia all of his albums have flopped commercially. But you wouldn't know it from being on the IC. He has a loyal fan base and is critically acclaimed even if he doesn't go gold.

Since when was commercial success an indicator of the quality of an artist?

If you don't measure by commercial success, then how do you measure quality?

Cause I could always say my homie that has a video on YouTube is the GOAT but if he doesn't have a gold plaque then my argument is kinda weak.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dungeon Family

Are they still around?

When's the last time Outkast, Goodie Mob or any of their members released something commercially successful?

Not even a year ago

Who?

I was waiting for somebody to say.......

? yooooooooou
  • MoneyLuver
    MoneyLuver Members Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dre and Snoop never stopped working together. The last thingthey put out ttogether was 2-3 years ago.

Dre and Cube are working on a movie as we speak. Dre and Snoop and DJ Pooh also did The Wash Movie

Dre has a beat on 50's album which came out in June

Snoop and Cube have worked together pretty regularly throughout the years

Snoop "replaced" Eazy in NWA (officially)

Tha Dogg Pound (whether Solo or a Group) put out a project it seems every 9 months. Their albums regularly and heavily feature ex-Death Row artists. They're allegedly working on an album with Dr. Dre and an album with Rage & RBX

Kurupt is about to put out a new DVD

Tha Dogg Pound regularly Tours and obviously they bring along ex-Death Row Inmates.

Terrace Martin was the secret recipe on YG's album. Terrace Martin has been Snoop's "go to" guy for in-house Production.

And so on...

You just haven't kept up with em, keep it 100.

And for the record, u look incredibly stupid for making this thread. The REAL question is, what "family" HAS broken up?

Becuz MOST crews from back in the day are still cool with each other and a lot are still putting out music (word to De La Soul)

But I'll answer my own question. The only real crews that broke up were A Tribe Called Quest and Leaders Of The New School. Everybody else is still pretty much working or Touring together like they never stopped
  • ItsBboy!
    ItsBboy! Members Posts: 398 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Dipset is next of they stop ? around. They're in that same limbo Someone in this thread said Wu Tang was in.

In general though I think the OP is right. Wu tangs average consistency over 20 years rivals rock bands.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Public Enemy, MOP the list goes on and on.

You only mentioned labels(except for terror squad)

Because if we talking the WHOLE wu tang family(? ,shyhiem,affiliates) they disbanded a long time ago.

Like Mo thugs disbanded but Bone is still here
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so NWA never broke up ..... Dre
    never left deathrow ..... cube never dissed nwa ...... dre never dissed eazy ...... pac never dissed dre. ......

You're tyring really hard to make it seem as if it was all good between all those cats you mentioned ..... lot of that ? out there wasn't family or crew ..... just business
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BCC...
    DITC...
    Hieroglyphics Crew...
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Mobb Deep, or yall just consider them as duo?

But yea I came to say The Lox
  • sonsofscotland
    sonsofscotland Members Posts: 239 ✭✭
    Options
    I'd have added Dipset to your original list... not they they out-lasted anyone, but the group deserves a mention if you mentioned the rest. Bone Thugs too, if you including groups.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Man, I just did a Wiki search on Ghostface. According to Wikipedia all of his albums have flopped commercially. But you wouldn't know it from being on the IC. He has a loyal fan base and is critically acclaimed even if he doesn't go gold.

What u in it for if not to be successful?

They're all millionaires. How are they not successful? Ohhh, wait, I get it. You're one of those people who think musicians make a lot of money of record sales. Let me let you in on something that's not even a secret. They don't. Most successful musicians make the bulk of their money from shows and tours. And the Wu has been touring pretty steadily over the past few years.
  • gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wutang hasn't even released that many projects compared to the others. Do they win by default because they still alive minus 1 or the fact that them ? haven't released music in a long time and are just in limbo
  • gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh and 5 grand is a wack poster
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They're all millionaires. How are they not successful? Ohhh, wait, I get it. You're one of those people who think musicians make a lot of money of record sales. Let me let you in on something that's not even a secret. They don't. Most successful musicians make the bulk of their money from shows and tours. And the Wu has been touring pretty steadily over the past few years.

I'm not talking about money
    Why rap if u gon go triple oxygen on every album?
    Is that the goal?
    I'm sure the money is cool but I bet u a ? would love to have a plaque or 2 as well
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not talking about money
    Why rap if u gon go triple oxygen on every album?
    Is that the goal?
    I'm sure the money is cool but I bet u a ? would love to have a plaque or 2 as well

They have plaques. As a group, the only album to not have gone at least gold was 8D. They still have hundreds of thousands of fans worldwide, so why would they stop making music if they still have people that wanting to hear it? Why would they stop making music if the new stuff has people still wanting to come out and see them on tour?

And I think people have a twisted view of record sales. There is a reason that gold and platinum are denoted the way they are. Selling 500K and 1M records is not easy. There have been lots of successful artists out there who never got a single Platinum album. So this idea that you're wack or that there is no reason to make music if you're not selling at least half a million is stupid. Hell the majority of Hip Hop artists should hang it up, because I'm pretty sure that the percentage of Hip Hop artists that go at least Gold with every album is pretty low.
  • LouboutinGawd
    LouboutinGawd Members Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Duh ? , there's a reason it's titled wu tang forever

But yall disowned the ? that cut his meat tho