Mike Brown was NOT racially profiled

Options
A Talented One
A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in For The Grown & Sexy
I got an email today asking me to sign a petition asking legal authorities to investigate the Michael Brown shooting. Part of it says, "On August 9th, 2014 a Ferguson police officer racially profiled and fatally shot Michael as the teen stood in the street with his hands in the air."

The killing should be investigated, of course, and the officer involved should be charged -- at a minimum. But the petition goes wrong when it suggests that Brown was racially profiled. He wasn't profiled. He was just walking home; the officer didn't suspect him of committing a crime. He just did not regard him as a person whose rights he was bound to respect.

We black men get racially profiled all the time, but let's not act like discrimination and bad treatment is all about racial profiling or stereotypes. Sometimes they just don't like or respect us because we're black. Period.

You can read the full petition here.

(Let's see which non-reading ? flags me going by the title of the thread alone.)

Comments

• Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You about to see 1k+ posts disappear as a magic trick.
  • A Talented One
    Options
    You about to see 1k+ posts disappear as a magic trick.

baby-oil-slap.gif?w=744&h=415
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have to agree. It's not that he racial profiled just the cops saw him as simply not having any rights and having no regard for him overall as a human being. Yes the race aspect is still their just it's at a different approach. I'm sure if it was a white boy and he was running away that he wouldn't have fired at him. But we really didn't need a thread about this.
  • A Talented One
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    I have to agree. It's not that he racial profiled just the cops saw him as simply not having any rights and having no regard for him overall as a human being. Yes the race aspect is still their just it's at a different approach. I'm sure if it was a white boy and he was running away that he wouldn't have fired at him. But we really didn't need a thread about this.

Well, we can agree to disagree about the bolded. I think it is important that we not subsume all discrimination under the label of "profiling" or "stereotyping." The issue is bigger than the Brown shooting.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options
    T/s is a planted agent.

I've long suspected it, now I'm just speaking it into existence .
  • A Talented One
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    T/s is a planted agent.

• Got Em Shook
    Got Em Shook Members Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options
    damn T/S i was willing to support you in the Africa/slavery thread but what kind of fuckery is this ?
    He wasn't profiled. He was just walking home; the officer didn't suspect him of committing a crime. He just did not regard him as a person whose rights he was bound to respect.

We black men get racially profiled all the time, but let's not act like discrimination and bad treatment is all about racial profiling or stereotypes. Sometimes they just don't like or respect us because we're black. Period.

this is...........splitting hairs at best. Like, what are you trying to say?

You know what you sound like right now? This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)#Concern_troll

"A concern troll is a false flag pseudonym created by a user whose actual point of view is opposed to the one that the troll claims to hold. The concern troll posts in Web forums devoted to its declared point of view and attempts to sway the group's actions or opinions while claiming to share their goals, but with professed "concerns". The goal is to sow fear, uncertainty and doubt within the group.[38]"

yeah, maybe you could fool somebody who's only online activist ? takes place on the IC, but I get around......"brother".
  • A Talented One
    edited August 2014
    Options
    OK, let me explain myself.

Sometimes, they just don't like your black ass. They don't think you're a potential criminal who is going to victimize them, or otherwise up to no good. They. Don't. Like. Your. Black. Ass.

So it is wrong to think of discrimination/bad treatment only in terms of stereotypes/profiling. Thinking of it in that way suggests that if we could only weaken the hold of stereotypes on people things will improve dramatically. (It would improve, no doubt, but not as much as many people think.)
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh he wasn't racially profiled.... The cop just discriminated against him because he was black?

Thanks for clearing that up....this is much better...
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    T/s is a planted agent.

All your energy and post goes to attacking what blacks do. That gif is accurarte indeed. You're like the black cop thats trying extra hard to impress your white superiors. I knew that already and I'm sure you get all the biscuits you want.

Now for the topic at hand...

Racial profiling is the use of an individual’s race or ethnicity by law enforcement personnel as a key factor in deciding whether to engage in enforcement (e.g. make a traffic stop or arrest).

He just did not regard him as a person whose rights he was bound to respect.

Now what race in America is usually profiled as an individual who's right shouldn't be respected? You ain't this stupid and you know you're ? stinks. Anything else is just watching you squirm.

T/s wants to come in here and argue something as dumb as the method used to pick Mike Brown out. I guess he's running out of tricks up his sleeve on this one. Grasping for straws ain't ya? Maybe they'll find a little bit of ? his body landed on and you can play off that some how.
  • A Talented One
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Haven't any of y'all been treated badly because of your race but you didn't think the person thought you were a threat of any kind?

Malcolm X once said, "What do you call an educated ? with a B.A. or an M.A., with a B.S., or a PhD?" The answer? "You call him a ? , because that is what the white man calls him, a ? ."

White folks don't fear (as a criminal threat) a black man with a PhD, but to many of them he is a '? .'

If you agree with that then you agree with me, because what I am saying is that racism is more than just stereotypes.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Atalentedone
    are you going to contribute brother?

KKK to raise money for Ferguson police officer
    http://benswann.com/kkk-to-raise-money-for-ferguson-police-officer/

The Ku Klux ? has said they would like to raise money for the police officer responsible for the shooting and subsequent death of 18-year-old Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri.

“We are setting up a reward/fund for the police officer who shot this thug,” said the South Carolina-based New Empire Knights of the Ku Klux ? in an email, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. “He is a hero! We need more white cops who are anti-Zog and willing to put Jewish controlled black thugs in their place.”
  • A Talented One
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    @Atalentedone
    are you going to contribute brother?

KKK to raise money for Ferguson police officer
    http://benswann.com/kkk-to-raise-money-for-ferguson-police-officer/

The Ku Klux ? has said they would like to raise money for the police officer responsible for the shooting and subsequent death of 18-year-old Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri.

“We are setting up a reward/fund for the police officer who shot this thug,” said the South Carolina-based New Empire Knights of the Ku Klux ? in an email, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. “He is a hero! We need more white cops who are anti-Zog and willing to put Jewish controlled black thugs in their place.”

Wow.

Just wow.

Wow.

It really sounds like I would support the KKK?
This discussion has been closed.