Eric Garner Chokehold Case Headed to Grand Jury

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
mediaite.com/online/eric-garner-chokehold-case-headed-to-grand-jury/
Before the shooting death of Michael Brown last week, the killing of Eric Garner by the NYPD was the case of police violence that had spurred outrage. On Tuesday, NBC News reported that a case concerning Garner’s death would head to a grand jury.

Garner died after being put in a chokehold by NYPD officer Daniel Pantaleo, an incident captured on video; the medical examiner later ruled Garner’s death a homicide.

It was not announced what charges would be brought, or against whom, as at least two officers and several paramedics were punished following the incident. An attorney for Pantaleo, who was stripped of his gun and badge, said he had been notified of the grand jury, which will convene in September, and indicated he was weighing whether his client would testify.

District Attorney Daniel Donovan told NBC News he assigned an unprecedented amount of resources to the case.

Smh.. The Medical Examiner ruled this Eric Garner death a homicide.. They DA should charge & arrest this ? .. They shouldn't need any grand jury...

Comments

• Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Glad something is done, but I'm optimistic about the family gettin any justice.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fam, it doesn't matter. No justice will be served for this man's homicide. How many times do we have to see this movie before we know the end of it? Dude will either get off with no legal repercussions - per cops who beat Rodney King. Or he will get off with legal repercussions that are NOWHERE near equal to the crime - per the cop who shot Oscar Grant in the back, as he was face down on the ground, handcuffed.
  • jill
    jill Members Posts: 327 ✭✭✭
    Options
    maybe, just maybe this is the one time justice will be served - you've got to stay positive until the very end
  • mryounggun
    Options
    jill wrote: »
    maybe, just maybe this is the one time justice will be served - you've got to stay positive until the very end

I try. I really do. I'm usually 65% realist and 35% idealist. But...history has shown us too many times how these things play out.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well if it was the prior administration in NY i would be less than optimistic
  • WiseGuyy
    WiseGuyy Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After seeing how many people attended the protests for Mike Brown in NY, I think ? gonna get crazy if he gets off here. NY gonna react.
  • mryounggun
    Options
    MrWise wrote: »
    After seeing how many people attended the protests for Mike Brown in NY, I think ? gonna get crazy if he gets off here. NY gonna react.

Attending a peaceful rally to show your support for Mike Brown is one thing. Expressing your intolerance for this ? by actually doing something extreme is another. Very little correlation between the two.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eric Garner was murdered ..... cop should be locked the ? up.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Death would be justice.

Save jail for the other cops and EMTs who colluded with the murderer.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Fam, it doesn't matter. No justice will be served for this man's homicide. How many times do we have to see this movie before we know the end of it? Dude will either get off with no legal repercussions - per cops who beat Rodney King. Or he will get off with legal repercussions that are NOWHERE near equal to the crime - per the cop who shot Oscar Grant in the back, as he was face down on the ground, handcuffed.

What's your alternative
  • mryounggun
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »

What's your alternative

Not sure I understand the question. My alternative to what? The ? heading to a grand jury?
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gothamist.com/2014/08/19/charles_barron_ferguson_today_new_yo.php#.
    Charles Barron: "Ferguson Today, New York Tomorrow"

Former City Council member Charles Barron has a message for Mayor Bill de Blasio and Police Commissioner Bill Bratton: “Ferguson today, New York Tomorrow.”

Speaking at a rally against police violence held in front of NYPD headquarters yesterday, Barron said the popular resistance on display in Ferguson, Missouri is coming to New York soon.

“We will not be the ones to blame when there’s an explosion in New York City,” Barron said. “We’re not even going to be able to stop it, because the people are fed up, and the only thing you listen to is when there’s no more peace for you.”

The death of Eric Garner in Staten Island last month gives the lie to de Blasio’s campaign promise to rein in the NYPD, Barron argued. “You knew Bratton was no damn good from the beginning,” he said. “Bratton was in this city in 1994 to 1996. Bratton brought in stop and frisk. Bratton brought in 'Broken Windows,' arrest everybody for everything—loose cigarettes, barbecuing.”

Barron credited the young people of Ferguson for focusing attention on the problem of violent and unaccountable policing. “The President of the United States would not be addressing this issue if we were just peacefully marching and having a press conference,” Barron said. “These young people will not get the credit they deserve. They’re going to call them thugs, they’re going to call them out of control, they’re going to call them every name. But I say I thank ? for those young people who had the courage and the heart to say ‘I’ve had enough.’”

Barron, too, has evidently had enough. “An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, and a life for a life,” he said. “You’re looking at some of the last peaceful demonstrations. We’re not going to keep coming out here while you ? us and you can tolerate our peaceful resistance.”

Along with Barron, family members of several young people killed by the New York Police Department also addressed the crowd. Sandy Michelin, an aunt of Kimani Gray, the 16-year-old shot to death by police in East Flatbush last spring, said the Gray family has been devastated all over again by the recent announcement that the Brooklyn District Attorney’s office would not bring charges against the officers who shot Gray.

“Kimani Gray’s life was lost, and nothing came out of it," Michelin said. "Literally nothing. The new D.A., that we literally put in power because we vote for this man because he came to our neighborhood and said that he would make changes, apparently he didn’t make any ? changes.”

Gray’s mother, Carrol Gray, hasn’t eaten anything since learning there would be no legal consequences for the death of her son.

“The mayor’s not doing anything, the governor is not doing anything, so at the end of the day, who do we turn to?” Michelin asked. “I don’t think I even believe in politicians. I don’t think I even want to vote again, to be honest with you. Because our voice in 11203 ZIP code has not been heard. They literally turn their back on us, and the 67th precinct continues to do the same thing.”

Frank Graham, whose son Ramarley Graham was shot to death by police in his own bathroom in 2012, said the problem of police violence is so widespread it requires federal intervention. “The Justice Department needs to take all these cases of police killing,” Graham said, adding that his family this week will petition the Justice Department to take up his son’s case. In the meantime, he said, people need to become more angry. “We must take our fight to the street. We must demand justice. Because nothing will be given to us. We must demand justice. Our sons our being slaughtered in the streets for no reason.”

And Jason Woody, a protester from Bed-Stuy, told us, "I'm a black man in America and I'm concerned that I could be next. They've killed, what, 4, 5 unarmed black men in the last month? For what? Because they allegedly did something? No one got charged with anything, there's been no trials, no convictions, but there's been executions by the persons in charge of protecting us."

• GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    Options
    Those cops are gonna serve a lot of time.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The death has been ruled a homicide
    they have video evidence implicating the cops

this is an open and shut case
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »

hopefully..

plus, aren't the choke holds against policy?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »

hopefully..

plus, aren't the choke holds against policy?

yea
    Just adds another nail in the coffin

Hopefully the jury isn't all White women this time
  • BlaqueHoney01
    BlaqueHoney01 Members Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Every cop that laid a hand on him should pay. The fact they used an illegal chokehold on him should be enough, but for some reason, I feel they are going to have to look at something else besides that to find him guilty.
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just saw the vid on youtube....,, damn
  • mryounggun
    Options

The death was ruled a homicide...by an employee of the state. The same state that employs the murder. Stay tuned on that one.

They have video evidence implicating the cops...just like the video evidence they had showing the cops beating the ? out of Rodney King.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why were they putting him in a choke hold in the first place? I didn't follow this case closely someone hip me to game
  • zerocool
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    Why were they putting him in a choke hold in the first place? I didn't follow this case closely someone hip me to game

For selling untaxed cigarettes
  • h8rhurta
    h8rhurta Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    New Yorkers have become immune to the deaths of blacks in that city! It's business as usual. The laws for the officers and their use of force are so terrible and NO ONE ever has to answer for it.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

he was known for selling untaxed cigs..

they approached him and he supposedly got angry and told them they're always harassing him, cops tried to restrain and arrest him, he didn't comply but didn't fight, choke hold, dropped him, they arrested him, he said he couldn't breathe and he died on scene..
  • h8rhurta
    h8rhurta Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zerocool wrote: »

For selling untaxed cigarettes

Suspicion of selling untaxed cigarettes. Plus he didn't have any cigarettes on him. Just plain old harassment because they've busted him for it before and probably in that same spot so they tried their luck and killed him in the process.
  • zerocool
    edited August 2014
    Options
    http://youtu.be/En5linhM7Qo

to be honest....I have been numb to black police brutality in this case and early on in that ferguson case...I did not watch this vid of eric garner until yesterday when I heard its going to grand jury....

early on here I saw the headline of mike brown on here and didnt click it b/c it happens tooooo often and its routine now