50 Cent Says Jay Z Can't Compare To Eminem

Options
qawshun
qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
“Hip Hop is Black music, without question, and, unfortunately for some people, it’s tough to accept that you have a White artist that does it better than Black artists,” 50 Cent says during an interview with Music Choice. "It is what it is. You can get like whoever you think is the best Black artist and stand them face-to-face in a room with Em and he will eat that [guy] alive. Right now if you had 'em prepare themselves, whatever way they would have to prepare themselves to come battle…I bet what I have, everything” that Eminem would win.

50 Cent also says that Eminem has surpassed Jay Z and that the two were paired for 2010 concerts because of Jay Z’s business commitments.

“That’s Live Nation ‘cause [Jay Z] sold his touring career to Live Nation,” 50 Cent says, referring to Jay Z’s reported $150 million pact with Live Nation that was signed in 2008. "They’ve got to keep him hot enough to go get their money back. So they match ‘em up with Em, put them together ‘cause he got more momentum connected to his relationship with Beyonce and his record with Alicia. It makes sense. It makes sense, the Detroit/New York show. But it only makes sense to me because of business, it makes sense, because Em sold like 60 million records more than him. How you put ‘em there like they’re equals? It’s tough for me to say some of this [stuff] and not sound like a hater. But I don’t care.”

In June, 50 Cent appeared on an episode of Bravo's Watch What Happens Live. 50 Cent mentioned Jay Z when he was asked who he thinks is the "most overrated Hip Hop star of all time." "Overrated?" 50 said. "Jay Z. He would say he's overrated. 'Rather be overrated than underpaid.

read this on hiphopdx. but yo i don't get it. no one i know bumps em ? maybe a song here and there maybe. i don't see 50 how he thinks em can compare to jay. jay has classic rap ? em doesn't. Em can rap but where is he hiphop classics. It must be the sales that blind people. what say ya'll.

Comments

• dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let the predictable trolling begin. Smh
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    50 is right em is better than jay.
  • The_Man
    Options
    Muhannad X wrote: »
    Ok, I'll entertain this BS.

Who bought all those Eminem records? What does an Eminem show look like? Who's shows have fans from all demographics and who's shows have mainly white kids with their parents (like a kiddy pop artists' concert)? Who appeals to a broad demographic and who mainly appeals to white adolescents? Who has set trends in this genre? Let's call a ? a ? . Which rapper has taken anything Eminem did and incorporated into his own sh*t (don't say "Stan" cuz Nas made it a term when he dissed Jigga in Ether" FOH)? Who has crossdressed on several occasions, made corny joints like "Big ? ", "? " etc.?

your saying it's purely because he is white? how come black rappers sell crazy numbers too? why bring up only tacks like ? and big ? ? what trends did jigga set?

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Cant believe ppl are gonna type paragraphs about this ? lmao
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I'm going to open a can of worms here but Benzino was right. Everything he predicted back in 03/04 happened. Eminem became the biggest selling artist in a genre that was created by blacks. That's what Benzino predicted was going to happen and then made the comparison to Elvis (and even ? ?!?) how Elvis is considered the first Rock N Roll star but all he did was imitate Black musicians.

Yeah you can say Em's career was better than Benzino and how Benzino is a bitter old man, Nail in the Coffin yada yada yada.

Em can spit when he wants to. I was impressed by Rap ? but I can't say that he'd beat Jay in a battle even though I gotta admit he came strong on Renegade.

Nasir would rap circles around Eminem. Cam, Sigel, Black Thought, Busta Rhymes and a few other people would make an interesting battle against Em If he was in Rap ? mode...which isn't that often.
    It's not like he has to. He can litterally put out anything and it'll still sell just because of his name. That's why I referenced joints like "Big ? " and "? ". Benzino was right in the sense that Eminem was and is playing by a different set of rules. He's had more 'creative freedom' so to speak. No mainstream black rapper could get away with releasing garbage like those joints I referenced, the crossdressing, corny, childish sh*t etc. in that era ('03/'04 when Benzino was going hard at that n*gga).
    Zino was right on alot of things, but people discarded it because he was a wack mc, seemed bitter and wasn't impartial (playing around with that mic giving ratings, nepotism and sexual harassment cases up at The Source etc.).

I think Eminem and Sigel though in a rapbattle. They ain't seeing him line for line...
  • Muhannad
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    I mean, why not? That was the purpose of this thread IMO...
  • The_Man
    Options

Who bought all those Eminem records? What does an Eminem show look like? Who's shows have fans from all demographics and who's shows have mainly white kids with their parents (like a kiddy pop artists' concert)? Who appeals to a broad demographic and who mainly appeals to white adolescents? Who has set trends in this genre? Let's call a ? a ? . Which rapper has taken anything Eminem did and incorporated into his own sh*t (don't say "Stan" cuz Nas made it a term when he dissed Jigga in Ether" FOH)? Who has crossdressed on several occasions, made corny joints like "Big ? ", "? " etc.?

your saying it's purely because he is white? how come black rappers sell crazy numbers too? why bring up only tacks like ? and big ? ? what trends did jigga set?
    No, because other white rappers aren't selling nearly as much as Eminem. Eminem definately got skills and he has worked hard for getting where he's at. I don't take nothing away from that fact.

He did sell alot more than his black counterparts due to him being white and he himself has owned up to this countless times (peep "White America" that came out 12 years ago). This ain't even up for debate.
    Eminem selling that much is mainly due to black rappers giving him his needed cred (cosign), partially due to his skills and partially because that white demographic could relate to my dude more than they do to these black rappers.

He didn't set that much trends rapwise but 'culturally' he's had some impact IMO. Shawn made n*ggas dress up (switch from throwback jerseys to button ups), made X5's less popular (that "baby mama line"), killed that autotune bullsh*t (can't attribute it solely to "Death of autotune" but he did have a hand in killing that bullsh*t objectively speaking). Jay Z has had impact in the game.
    Eventhough rapwise he didn't do nothing that wasn't done bfore he's had alot of soundalikes coming out a decade ago. Rappers like Sacario, Bathgate etc. and now you got that n*gga that raps with Birdgang. No rapper has come out and bit Eminem's style.

Ok I will agree em might sell more because he is white we can never know for sure it's all speculation, as far as jays trends I disagree, he was not the first rapper to "dress up" pac did that ? alot so did many other rappers.

From an mc point of view I would say em is better, I would explain in detail why but im just too lazy to type too much ? I need to get some sleep soon I need to be up in 5 hours, to each his own tho it's all personal preference.

• Me1971
    Me1971 Members Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Em is definitely the better technical rapper with the larger sales and may possibly gave a bigger legacy if he were to die today. All of these dudes look up to Jay at the end of the day. You can tell by listening to 50's earlier work that he was a Jay fan and he's even quoted his rhymes. And you can tell that Em respects Jay a lot like when he accepted that award back in 2002, what was his acceptance speech "Biggie Pac Jay and Nas are the reason why I do this".
  • Muhannad
    Options

No, because other white rappers aren't selling nearly as much as Eminem. Eminem definately got skills and he has worked hard for getting where he's at. I don't take nothing away from that fact.

He did sell alot more than his black counterparts due to him being white and he himself has owned up to this countless times (peep "White America" that came out 12 years ago). This ain't even up for debate.
    Eminem selling that much is mainly due to black rappers giving him his needed cred (cosign), partially due to his skills and partially because that white demographic could relate to my dude more than they do to these black rappers.

He didn't set that much trends rapwise but 'culturally' he's had some impact IMO. Shawn made n*ggas dress up (switch from throwback jerseys to button ups), made X5's less popular (that "baby mama line"), killed that autotune bullsh*t (can't attribute it solely to "Death of autotune" but he did have a hand in killing that bullsh*t objectively speaking). Jay Z has had impact in the game.
    Eventhough rapwise he didn't do nothing that wasn't done bfore he's had alot of soundalikes coming out a decade ago. Rappers like Sacario, Bathgate etc. and now you got that n*gga that raps with Birdgang. No rapper has come out and bit Eminem's style.

Ok I will agree em might sell more because he is white we can never know for sure it's all speculation, as far as jays trends I disagree, he was not the first rapper to "dress up" pac did that ? alot so did many other rappers.

From an mc point of view I would say em is better, I would explain in detail why but im just too lazy to type too much ? I need to get some sleep soon I need to be up in 5 hours, to each his own tho it's all personal preference.
    While I can relate to Jay Z's music more, I think line for line he ain't seeing Eminem. I honestly don't think alot of rappers are seeing him line for line. What I like about him is he always keeping it hip hop. You can sense a genuine love for this genre. Watch "The art of rap" if you don't understand what I mean...
  • Stew
    Options

Cause its that mans opinion. You either agree with him or you dont. Not really else much to it lol
  • Muhannad
    Options

Cause its that mans opinion. You either agree with him or you dont. Not really else much to it lol
    You can argue opinions with counter arguments. You do know that, don't you lol. It's all love though, I'll fall back. Wasn't trying to ruffle nobody's feathers or disrespect nobody...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It all depends on what you consider more important; flow or lyrics. Em's pen game is nice but Jay has the superior flow. I was listening to Monster off Kanye's album yesterday and Hov murdered that beat.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options
    You can argue that JayZ is better than Em across the board. Besides maybe storytelling, JayZ has Em beat in every MC category.

Prime to prime, Em has absolutely nothing for JayZ.

While I do agree with 50 that Jay is one of the most overrated artists, mainly because he brought nothing new to the rap game musically or lyrically, Jay was still a very good rapper at one time (and he's still pretty good when he wants to be by way of that We Made It freestyle he bodied).

Let's be real, 50 is basically trying to stir up some BS with his comments, because they're definitely not shared by his peers. If that was the case, "Eminem murdered you on your own ? " wouldn't have been included in Ether.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can argue opinions with counter arguments. You do know that, don't you lol. It's all love though, I'll fall back. Wasn't trying to ruffle nobody's feathers or disrespect nobody...

Don't u let that mulatto punk u, brother.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Does this ? ever shut up
  • Stew
    Options
    gns wrote: »

Don't u let that mulatto punk u, brother.

mu·lat·to
    m(y)o͝oˈlätō,-ˈlatō/
    datedoffensive
    noun
    noun: mulatto; plural noun: mulattoes; plural noun: mulattos

a person of mixed white and black ancestry, especially a person with one white and one black parent.

tumblr_inline_mpym8dHL0D1qz4rgp.gif