The Social Pressures of Sports Viewing

Options

Comments

• riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    I straight up tell people what sports I follow and which I don't. Personally i'm a huge soccer fan and could care less about American football (sans playoffs and Superbowl) so i just avoid convos about that. the only other sports i follow are basketball

football >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> futbol

90 minutes of gameplay >>>> 11 minutes of gameplay with 3 hours of commercials/huddles/timeouts
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MissK wrote: »
    Sports is truly one of the few things I have seen men get in their feelings about. It's hilarious.

Not big on football and my brother is trying to convert me to Redskins fan shout out to @Stew

I enjoy basketball GO SPURS! I like to check out the cheapseats during the season but really just lurk. good stuff in there tho.
    14342_o.gif
    @Missk quietly trying to approach goat female status.

If @Obnoxiouslyfresh had some enlightened fam like you she'd be on the path to righteousness as well.
    RG-3-worship.jpg
    ObnoxFresh, it isn't too late lil homie. Brother Stew and I are here to help you in your time of need. We'd wash your abject cluelessness off and cleanse you with His word (Joe Gibbs).
    PS. Our QB is actually black and the Skins aren't in the Bears' division, so you can be saved without being considered a blasphemous traitor in your own state. Amen.

Ah, a fan as well.
    Say no more. Go Skins!
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go where? Not to the playoffs...
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Grew up playing Baseball and Football. Not because I was forced to but because I wanted to. People say Baseball is boring but playing it I can appreciate the skill it takes to play.I will watch even listen to on the radio both sports actually if that's my only option. I can give 2 ? about basketball. As far as guys not liking sports

Patrice O'Neal http://youtu.be/B25ywedwU04
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @MissK o it's like that? Of all the teams in the NFL, why Redskins? Blocked!
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rasta. wrote: »
    @MissK o it's like that? Of all the teams in the NFL, why Redskins? Blocked!

It's never that serious but do as you need to Rasta.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sports is truly one of the few things I have seen men get in their feelings about. It's hilarious.

Not big on football and my brother is trying to convert me to Redskins fan shout out to @Stew

I enjoy basketball GO SPURS! I like to check out the cheapseats during the season but really just lurk. good stuff in there tho.
    14342_o.gif
    @Missk quietly trying to approach goat female status.

If @Obnoxiouslyfresh had some enlightened fam like you she'd be on the path to righteousness as well.
    RG-3-worship.jpg
    ObnoxFresh, it isn't too late lil homie. Brother Stew and I are here to help you in your time of need. We'd wash your abject cluelessness off and cleanse you with His word (Joe Gibbs).
    PS. Our QB is actually black and the Skins aren't in the Bears' division, so you can be saved without being considered a blasphemous traitor in your own state. Amen.

I aint watching no damn football. Im sorry. That ? is too boring. I'll watch the superbowl but thats it.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    riddlerap wrote: »
    I straight up tell people what sports I follow and which I don't. Personally i'm a huge soccer fan and could care less about American football (sans playoffs and Superbowl) so i just avoid convos about that. the only other sports i follow are basketball

football >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> futbol

90 minutes of gameplay >>>> 11 minutes of gameplay with 3 hours of commercials/huddles/timeouts
    superior athleticism, long bombs and hard hits>>>>>> 90 mins of "keep away" with no hands resulting in a 1-0 match

FOH, wussies
  • Trillfate
    Options
    1of1 wrote: »
    Go where? Not to the playoffs...
    jim-mora-playoffs-o.gif
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I understand soccer is the most popular sport in the world but that ? is hella boring to watch even tho it's fun to play. Same with baseball.

If u can't watch sports BY YOURSELF, then u really don't like sports.

Me and homie was just talking bout this topic last week but didn't think to make a thread about it, oh well.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Females version of sports(For females that dont do sports is drama,reality Tv and soaps) tell me im lying they have some of the same pillars of sports. However they are pointless aint no chips...
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't really ? with football, not interested in sitting there for 3+ hours only to see 10min of action, which will mostly consist of rushing. If I want to see hits or hail mary's I'll just watch the highlights. I watched the full 2007 season though, the patriots were an entertaining team to watch that year.

NBA, that's my ? .

I don't care if other dudes like sports or not, and I think some dudes watch them just to have something to talk about with other males.
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not big on football and my brother is trying to convert me to Redskins fan
    shout out to @Stew

Come on home sista.

3571275-rickdave.gif
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Couple ? force it when everyone else in the room is havin' an in-depth discussion about football and they're sittin' tryna make comments and everyone just goes quiet for a bit.

Football been in my life since I was a baby and it will probably be there when I'm old and crippled
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was actually a female that's the reason I even have a favorite football team. Before that I just had favorite players. She's is a diehard Charger fan. If they lose I know not to even bother calling her ass. When the Patriots beat us on our own field in our 14-2 season she damn near cried (probably did cry that night) smh It was a sad state of affairs for a while. She's one of those yell at the top of her lungs at the TV football fans.

I hate those "root against your team just to troll" girls though. My ex would do that ? ? . And she was a Falcons fan -_- As a Charger fan, I dont need any more ? than Tom Brady has already handed out.

• Beezus
    Beezus Members Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For some reason if a dude tells me he's not into sports I tend to look at him differently and disregard everything he has to say on every other topic.. shrug

On The flip side I think it's kind of cute when a girl has limited knowledge about sports and says ditsy ? like u do lol

Every female can't be @kubeezy. I accept that

• Beezus
    Beezus Members Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i dont ? wit sports like i use to..
    my Chiefs went what 9-0 last yr.. ? was pretty exciting... fun too.. i got to talk my ? ..

i jus like talkin ? to people ? them off especially raider and cowboy fans.. thats about all i get out of sports now..

? be askin me about ? and when i tell them i dont follow sports i get all kinds of weird looks.. then the inevitable question comes of "whats better then sports??" my reply is "gettin money" lol

then i talk more ? about how i dont have to be a winner vicariously through a team.. i prefer winnin in life..

yeh.. talkin ? is about all i get out of sports now. lol

Adam Teicher said we could very well go 0-6 :-|
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Been around sports my whole life. Football is and will always be king, mainly because of where I'm from. Closely followed by Basketball. Then Baseball/Tennis/MMA & Boxing.

Oh and all you redskins fans....

Mr. Watt says hello.fans

Ain't that right @BDBIID
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    I love college football

Best sport IMO

My man is heavy into sports. Him and his friends have bets and points spreadsheets and side bets . And it's really not about the money either. lol

I love to watch my son play too. I've always been the team mom on the sidelines cheering the players on and yelling at the refs

• Trillfate
    Options
    @obnoxiouslyfresh‌

The Ray Rice-less Ravens play tonight in primetime...

U can get your gossip fix and brush up on your sports knowledge at the same time, eh?
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I do pretend and force myself to follow baseball because the Tigers is all the older white people at my job talk about all day

But besides that Im an athlete and a sports fanatic
  • hoodsavior
    hoodsavior Members Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love it.. Idc if a woman likes sports.. but something is wild attractive about a woman that's into boxing.. you can't front on that.. you can always tell who's casual and who's into it
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No I don't feel any pressure. If I don't like it, I don't force it. If I have no idea what I'm looking at, I say it. Guys seem to feel important when they can break it down to you anyway. The only thing I will do is bite the bullet and go to a couple of my husband's UFC get togethers with his friends. I really hate UFC or MMA or whatever the hell it is, but it's a social thing and I want to be supportive so I go. It only happens a couple times a year thank ? .

As far as football goes that's not a problem. I think I'm into it more than he is. I know what I'm talking about for the most part (for a girl anyway?). I bet on fantasy football, he doesn't. So we genuinely can enjoy football season together. Speaking of the Bears, I root for them even though they're not my team because that's his hometown team. I feel like it's my wifely duty to be encouraging. We're playing SF this Sunday....gonna be a long day :-/