The Official Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    seems like Garcia is just in his feelings but he too good of a cut man to let go......Ellerbe is just ? up out here.. no wonder Floyd was looking mad unhappy before and after the fight
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    seems like Garcia is just in his feelings but he too good of a cut man to let go......Ellerbe is just ? up out here.. no wonder Floyd was looking mad unhappy before and after the fight

Yeah. Think it ? with his performance?
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peanut_205 wrote: »

Yeah. Think it ? with his performance?

i mean he styled on Maidana and won the fight 10-2 IMO so prolly not in the ring but you know he was thinking about it... must be tough to be in Floyd s position though, everyone it seems wants something from him or have ulterior motives for hanging with him...u can almost see ehy he hangs those ? at least he knows their angles..
  • PSN-Canibuss
    PSN-Canibuss Members Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He has no problems with Garcia. Garcia has a problem that another person is wrapping Floyd's hands. Floyd wants Garcia to be there but he has someone else who he says, wraps his hands better than Garcia.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nycest_1 wrote: »
    lol you again are wrong on a lot of fronts, you need to do better research and educate yourself properly, i see your point, its an lcd point, but i saw it, it wasn't complex.
    yes i said i disagree that dark skinned people are at the bottom of society all over. this country is not the entire globe. if you have an inferiority complex i can empathize but i do not agree

also i had no idea gold fronts made someone black. its actually a sign of poverty because gold caps are cheaper than caps that look like real teeth. its just cheap dentistry, i had no idea this was a black thing.

gamboa and lara are cuban, but i can see what has you confused, you probably haven't seen the definition of race recently, you most likely subscribe to the archaic mindset that ethnicity and race are different.. i got you

again i admit i should have put african american instead of black because black is a skin color not a race.

had to reply since you dregged this back up but i agree to leave it for the social lounge

LCD huh? lol, you dont see my point. this country was not the only country I refer to. places like Brazil and South Africa crossed my mind hell even most of South America.... Gold fronts mos def a black thing.. haha...

Race is a general term while ethnicity falls within the category its still more specific in definition. Looking at someones skin color can reveal a ton about there ancestry and origins. Either way it a traces back to Africa so technically we are all black. You have African DNA my friend. These are all semantics. Technically Obama is not an "African American" ... His ethinic background proves that. But aint he black?
  • chi-guy
    chi-guy Members Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anyone watch The Fight Game last night? Man, HBO feelings are hurt because Floyd left them and their 2nd in line cash cow, Manny Pacquiao is bringing garbage PPV numbers lol They thrashed Mayweather for fighting not so good opposition but Manny has even worse competition lately since his KO loss. Brandon Rios and now Chris Algeri lol Bradley Vs Pacquiao II flopped too...

It seemed like a 30min show just to say stupid ? about Mayweather. What I found to be the worse offense, was when Lampley at the end basically said Floyd was a terrible person and bringing up that domestic violence stuff. All the while forgetting that he himself was arrested for the very act he was speaking on about Mayweather.

I know HBO hasn't been the same since he went over to Showtime, but the way they go about their business these days is disgusting. Instead of disrespecting one of the few people who keep the sport in the headlines they should be trying to promote them Pacquiao fights better cuz his numbers are flatlining these days. And to have Kovalev and Golovkin as top 10p4p when they ain't fought nobody is straight laughable
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Lampley ? ass. I'd knock that cac the ? out if we ever crossed paths.
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol you again are wrong on a lot of fronts, you need to do better research and educate yourself properly, i see your point, its an lcd point, but i saw it, it wasn't complex.
    yes i said i disagree that dark skinned people are at the bottom of society all over. this country is not the entire globe. if you have an inferiority complex i can empathize but i do not agree

also i had no idea gold fronts made someone black. its actually a sign of poverty because gold caps are cheaper than caps that look like real teeth. its just cheap dentistry, i had no idea this was a black thing.

gamboa and lara are cuban, but i can see what has you confused, you probably haven't seen the definition of race recently, you most likely subscribe to the archaic mindset that ethnicity and race are different.. i got you

again i admit i should have put african american instead of black because black is a skin color not a race.

had to reply since you dregged this back up but i agree to leave it for the social lounge

LCD huh? lol, you dont see my point. this country was not the only country I refer to. places like Brazil and South Africa crossed my mind hell even most of South America.... Gold fronts mos def a black thing.. haha...

Race is a general term while ethnicity falls within the category its still more specific in definition. Looking at someones skin color can reveal a ton about there ancestry and origins. Either way it a traces back to Africa so technically we are all black. You have African DNA my friend. These are all semantics. Technically Obama is not an "African American" ... His ethinic background proves that. But aint he black?
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/race[noun]

i'll let you read it, but the stupidity of placing one piece of alleged ancestry over all other pieces is dumbfounding.
    would you call a cake, eggs? flour? no you would call it a cake. 1 ingredient doesn't dominate the others, they go on to make something else.
    so obamas white side just automatically become black because he is right?
    or if a black family gives birth to an albino child they kid is white now right?
    and yes claiming all blacks are worth less than whites around the globe because things aren't right in this country is lcd. south africa and brazil have their issues as well but 3 countries isn't the world now is it?
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    chi-guy wrote: »
    Anyone watch The Fight Game last night? Man, HBO feelings are hurt because Floyd left them and their 2nd in line cash cow, Manny Pacquiao is bringing garbage PPV numbers lol They thrashed Mayweather for fighting not so good opposition but Manny has even worse competition lately since his KO loss. Brandon Rios and now Chris Algeri lol Bradley Vs Pacquiao II flopped too...

It seemed like a 30min show just to say stupid ? about Mayweather. What I found to be the worse offense, was when Lampley at the end basically said Floyd was a terrible person and bringing up that domestic violence stuff. All the while forgetting that he himself was arrested for the very act he was speaking on about Mayweather.

I know HBO hasn't been the same since he went over to Showtime, but the way they go about their business these days is disgusting. Instead of disrespecting one of the few people who keep the sport in the headlines they should be trying to promote them Pacquiao fights better cuz his numbers are flatlining these days. And to have Kovalev and Golovkin as top 10p4p when they ain't fought nobody is straight laughable

i don't get why he would bring up floyds non boxing issues on the ? fight game.
    that show is pointless, everyone would rather max host
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lampley is a disgrace. How u beat women then get on ur high horse bashing Floyd for his domestic ? ? Another example of what I be talking bout
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wall wrote: »
    FLOYD MAYWEATHER MAKING MAJOR CHANGES TO HIS TEAM: "WHEN MAY COMES AROUND...I'LL HAVE A TOTALLY NEW TEAM"

http://fighthype.com/mayweathernews/story17988.html

Part I of his interview. Looks like we may be seeing some major changes in TMT camp.

10666204_300279210176164_1837906018_n.jpg
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Lampley is a disgrace. How u beat women then get on ur high horse bashing Floyd for his domestic ? ? Another example of what I be talking bout

HBO is like the exgirlfriend who wants to bash you every time they talk about you and don't know when to let go.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    chi-guy wrote: »

boxingscene.com/hbos-lampley-slams-mayweather-draws-criticism--82260
    HBO's Lampley Slams Mayweather, Draws Criticism

By Keith Idec

Jim Lampley’s show-closing criticism of Floyd Mayweather Jr. on the newest episode of his HBO show late Tuesday night left Lampley a target of widespread criticism on Twitter and other social media sites Wednesday.

The HBO blow-by-blow announcer asserted in his final comments on “The Fight Game With Jim Lampley” that there’s no place in boxing for Mayweather’s increasingly boorish behavior and added the sport’s pound-for-pound king couldn’t retire soon enough. Boxing fans and writers have denounced Lampley’s assessment as an agenda-driven attack because Mayweather, once HBO’s flagship fighter, performs exclusively on Showtime as part of a six-fight, 30-month contract he signed with CBS, Showtime’s parent company, in February 2013.

Critics also have lambasted Lampley as a hypocrite because he mentioned Mayweather’s repulsive reaction to besmirched Ravens running back Ray Rice’s season-long suspension and alluded to Mayweather’s 61-day incarceration following a September 2010 domestic violence incident. Those critics have pointed out Lampley pleaded no-contest to violating a restraining order in February 2007 that was issued following his arrest in January 2007, when his then-fiancee, Candice Sanders, alleged he attacked her at her apartment in Encinitas, Calif.

Lampley was sentenced to three years of probation and 40 hours of community service, fined and admitted into a domestic violence counseling program after he pled no-contest to violating the aforementioned restraining order. Charges were not filed against Lampley, however, based on Sanders’ allegations because investigators didn’t find sufficient evidence to support her claims.

Lampley praised Mayweather earlier in Tuesday night’s episode for his convincing victory over Marcos Maidana in their welterweight championship rematch Saturday night in Las Vegas. He later unloaded on Mayweather, as the show came to its conclusion.

“Floyd Mayweather long ago made clear he isn’t trying to please the entire available audience,” Lampley said. “And through concentrated, money-harvested, pay-per-view distribution, he has convincingly established he can do it his way, generate a kind of appeal not all of us will ever understand and attract an income that out-distances those of polite golfers and friendly, smiling auto racers. Some would say, more power to him. But if the goal is to push the limits of public taste to the point where the overwhelming preponderance of consumers simply wash their hands and want nothing to do with him or his fights, his blith comment to the effect the NFL was overreacting to a videotape by supsending Ray Rice [for the season] was probably a pretty good start. And his garbled apology did little to remove the stench.

“This was the absolute height of heaving a rock out of a glass house. And if he honestly thinks he can offer that kind of love to Rice, without offending significant numbers of fans and observers, he’s wrong. The fact is, unbeaten record or not, consummate skill notwithstanding, Floyd Mayweather is an often aggressively distasteful human being, whose behaviors are a blight on the boxing landscape. He also said last week he will retire from the ring at the completion of his six-fight, CBS/Showtime contract. And in responding to the result of his most recent win earlier in the show, we ignored that, because it won’t happen. But if it did, no damage would accrue to boxing. Fact is, for the betterment of boxing’s image, Floyd Mayweather’s retirement cannot come a moment too soon.”

HBO should change the name of Lampley's show from the Fight Game to the Propganda Game.. The name seems to fit that show better...
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    @pralims just let it go my ? ...I stopped arguing Floyd s greatness a long time ago

i try to burh...i really do.

but i just hate when people try to tear down a very successful blackman.

he paid his dues, he paid his debt to society and hes the greatest at what he does.

people tear down bradley and rigo. broner tears himself down.

its like black talent gets ? on to make way for yellow or white mediocrity.

I just like to stand up for my people.

but i hear you bruh....

im leaving the thread

thats what they do in boxing. its ? up. I like talking about it but folk think I be making ? up and race baiting. Black fighters have the hardest road to travel in the sport and then they get held back cuz of style. the way the ? ? Maidana did to Floyd and Broner was excused is a damn shame. the way Ortiz headbutted and the focus became oh floyd sucker punched him was a shame. the way Rigo is being blackballed by the sport is a shame. the way Ward is getting treated with his resume is a shame. but rockem sockem brawling b level fighters get pushed to the forefront.
    come the ? on, every race has dirt, bernard built a legacy off ? tactics, holyfield headbutted to fame, floyd elbows all his opponents. these things happen in boxing, its part of the game, everyone bends the rules at some point. (? every puertorican fighter uses a low blow to buy time)
    black talent doesn't get ? on or blackballed so much as black fans don't put out as muc hsupport as other nationalities.? floyd even gave up on black money and built an empire off of mexican money. he followed oscars plan and takes the top 2 mexican dates and makes damn sure he has a latin opponent or a mexican undercard.
    broner isn't tearing himself down so much as hes getting attention for his brand (yeah he does some coonery, but its all to make you hate him) hes in a good position to take over when floyd retires
    ward did it to himself with his contract and promotional problems. he also does not want to move from a dead division. how can you blame anyone for that when hbo even gave him a mic to keep him relevant. its all his fault if nothing comes from the opportunity.
    rigondeux is another one (why a latin fighter got lumped into this pro black argument is strange though) he has a ? contract with a ? promoter (any ? promoter that runs down his fighter should be fired)
    he needs to fight it out and move on to better things or do something smart like floyd did to make people pay attention.
    boxing has been a black dominated sport, so i don't get why you would feel they have the hardest road when they get the most attention. if anything its the fanbase that fails the fighters, some can sell out at home (ward, crawford and broner) but they need to make themselves must see.
    most people love the KO, and all these dudes are talented, why not go for the ko? (you don't have to be rock em sockem to knock someone out)

You make some good points but to the bold. Bob Arum even said it was a mistake for him and his company by not listening to Floyd when he told them to market him to the black community mostly hip-hop community. Black fighters accross the board are not marketed to the black community period. Shane Mosley wasn't as famous as he could have been because he never presented himself to the black community. B-Hop and Floyd are the only recent black fighters to do so and it has paid off well for them. Broner's days are numbered cause he just a ignorant lil ? who shuck and jives and really is not as good as he thinks he is. Floyd lost money by only fighting in Vegas after a while. The largest concentration of black people in this country is located east of the miss. if I am not mistaken. So the majority is not going to be able to travel to Vegas 2 times a year to see you fight. You build up a real following by fighting in different cities with a large population of black people like fighters did back in the day. There is a reason Cotto's biggest fights were in NYC and why most Mexicans fight in the southwest or west coast. It only makes sense. Black fighters need to step their marketing game up and stop thinking small in terms of not paying taxes by fighting in Vegas while they still not making that Floyd money.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xufkmxJSIk

For those who missed Jim Lampley's Proganda Fight Game...
  • PSN-Canibuss
    Options
    What I don't understand about boxing "fans" is that when Manny fought punchers like Rios & Magarito, in their words, he "ran" by using lateral movement, got in and out quick but, when another boxer does the same, it's called "running." Never made sense to me.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What I don't understand about boxing "fans" is that when Manny fought punchers like Rios & Magarito, in their words, he "ran" by using lateral movement, got in and out quick but, when another boxer does the same, it's called "running." Never made sense to me.
    Rios wasnt a puncher that fight idk wtf his problem was that night he was shook fake warrior
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    pralims wrote: »
    @pralims just let it go my ? ...I stopped arguing Floyd s greatness a long time ago

i try to burh...i really do.

but i just hate when people try to tear down a very successful blackman.

he paid his dues, he paid his debt to society and hes the greatest at what he does.

people tear down bradley and rigo. broner tears himself down.

its like black talent gets ? on to make way for yellow or white mediocrity.

I just like to stand up for my people.

but i hear you bruh....

im leaving the thread

thats what they do in boxing. its ? up. I like talking about it but folk think I be making ? up and race baiting. Black fighters have the hardest road to travel in the sport and then they get held back cuz of style. the way the ? ? Maidana did to Floyd and Broner was excused is a damn shame. the way Ortiz headbutted and the focus became oh floyd sucker punched him was a shame. the way Rigo is being blackballed by the sport is a shame. the way Ward is getting treated with his resume is a shame. but rockem sockem brawling b level fighters get pushed to the forefront.
    come the ? on, every race has dirt, bernard built a legacy off ? tactics, holyfield headbutted to fame, floyd elbows all his opponents. these things happen in boxing, its part of the game, everyone bends the rules at some point. (? every puertorican fighter uses a low blow to buy time)
    black talent doesn't get ? on or blackballed so much as black fans don't put out as muc hsupport as other nationalities.? floyd even gave up on black money and built an empire off of mexican money. he followed oscars plan and takes the top 2 mexican dates and makes damn sure he has a latin opponent or a mexican undercard.
    broner isn't tearing himself down so much as hes getting attention for his brand (yeah he does some coonery, but its all to make you hate him) hes in a good position to take over when floyd retires
    ward did it to himself with his contract and promotional problems. he also does not want to move from a dead division. how can you blame anyone for that when hbo even gave him a mic to keep him relevant. its all his fault if nothing comes from the opportunity.
    rigondeux is another one (why a latin fighter got lumped into this pro black argument is strange though) he has a ? contract with a ? promoter (any ? promoter that runs down his fighter should be fired)
    he needs to fight it out and move on to better things or do something smart like floyd did to make people pay attention.
    boxing has been a black dominated sport, so i don't get why you would feel they have the hardest road when they get the most attention. if anything its the fanbase that fails the fighters, some can sell out at home (ward, crawford and broner) but they need to make themselves must see.
    most people love the KO, and all these dudes are talented, why not go for the ko? (you don't have to be rock em sockem to knock someone out)

You make some good points but to the bold. Bob Arum even said it was a mistake for him and his company by not listening to Floyd when he told them to market him to the black community mostly hip-hop community. Black fighters accross the board are not marketed to the black community period. Shane Mosley wasn't as famous as he could have been because he never presented himself to the black community. B-Hop and Floyd are the only recent black fighters to do so and it has paid off well for them. Broner's days are numbered cause he just a ignorant lil ? who shuck and jives and really is not as good as he thinks he is. Floyd lost money by only fighting in Vegas after a while. The largest concentration of black people in this country is located east of the miss. if I am not mistaken. So the majority is not going to be able to travel to Vegas 2 times a year to see you fight. You build up a real following by fighting in different cities with a large population of black people like fighters did back in the day. There is a reason Cotto's biggest fights were in NYC and why most Mexicans fight in the southwest or west coast. It only makes sense. Black fighters need to step their marketing game up and stop thinking small in terms of not paying taxes by fighting in Vegas while they still not making that Floyd money.

as a black person you dont need to go to vegas to support.

you can support with PPV and going to the local bars, movie theatres and ? like everyone else does.

mexican fighters fight where there people are concentrated.
    cotto fights in NYC always around the puerto rican day parade and the large puerto rican population.
    floyd can stay where he is.
    he commands top dollar outside his demographic. he can take all the money from other cultures and it dont matter to me. what matters is that hes a black man getting they money. rather than another white man getting black money.
    vegas also attracts big gamblers who will pay top dollar to see the fight an bet on the fight. hoez make money. local food spots make money and the casinos make money.

there are not too many places that have all of that and have the name.

why do you think pac is being promoted in Macau instead of the phillipines?

Macau is the new gambling capital. its not about the philipinos. they can support from afar. but Arum is getting that new chinese and japanese money.

same with floyd. so dont put him in a box. its business
  • Mastery
    Options
    http://www.thesweetscience.com/news/articles-frontpage/19342-source-mayweather-maidana-2-projects-to-925000-ppv-buys

Looks like Mayweather Maidana 2 did 925,000 PPV buys. Slightly better than the 900,000 for part 1.
  • Mastery
    Options
    Lol I clicked on your link after I made my post, CJ
  • PSN-Canibuss
    Options
    Rios wasnt a puncher that fight idk wtf his problem was that night he was shook fake warrior

Garcia camp sometimes come out with some ? ass gameplans. Dude was trying to box Manny, instead of pressuring him but Manny is fast, hard to do.
  • Mastery
    Options
  • Mastery
    Options