Should higher education (University/college) be free?

Options
2»

Comments

• 1800skypager
    1800skypager Members Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    College is free... free to students who excelled in High School, they receive scholarships...

College shouldn't be free to citizens because of their race... no way... only those who have proved themselves academically in grade school deserve free tuition.

No one owes you anything. If you want something bad enough you'll get it by using your own noggin.
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    College is free... free to students who excelled in High School, they receive scholarships...

College shouldn't be free to citizens because of their race... no way... only those who have proved themselves academically in grade school deserve free tuition.

No one owes you anything. If you want something bad enough you'll get it by using your own noggin.

Foh
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

not everyone can get a scholarship no matter how good they did in school.
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    UPS gives you $15,000+ in tuition....
  • 1800skypager
    Options
    States and universities often award scholarships... especially to under-represented minorities...
  • PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When you look at the st u dent loan debt bubble there will need to be changes because when the bubble pops it will be very ugly. Hell here in nyc Cuny school tuitions which are traditionallly cheap are rising as well. The reason more people are going to community colleges rather private schools. Our whole education system as a whole is messed up and is in need of major reform because something has to give.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

College shouldn't be free to citizens because of their race

No one is given a scholarship off race alone
    they have to excel in something like other scholarships
  • Bazz-B
    Bazz-B Members Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As long as the student remains in good academic standing, then it should be free.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What ? planet do you live on where that is actually true? I hate that Republican ? . The power-elite have you fooled, so you can take credit/blame yourself for predetermined outcomes. You eschew social and historical context for the sake of empty rhetoric. Save that exorbitantly stupid and myopic ? ; anybody who knows better is not going...

• (Nope)
    Options
    How the ? do you end up on the ill community typing about noggins? FOH Christian Mingle.
  • 1800skypager
    edited October 2014
    Options
    (Nope) wrote: »

What ? planet do you live on where that is actually true? I hate that Republican ? . The power-elite have you fooled, so you can take credit/blame yourself for predetermined outcomes. You eschew social and historical context for the sake of empty rhetoric. Save that exorbitantly stupid and myopic ? ; anybody who knows better is not going...

I don't consider myself a Republican, Democrat, or follower of any political party. I just don't feel that people should feel entitled to handouts from the government just because...

An individual has the power to leave his or her mark on the world regardless of circumstances, upbringing, and their environment. If one truly wants to succeed, then one will do whatever it takes to make it happen. Only weak minded people allow others to hold them back.

College is and should be free to those who have proven themselves academically no matter their ethnicity. If you don't make the cut don't whine... the world needs ditch diggers too...

• taylornathaniel
    taylornathaniel Members Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Options
    Yes, education should be free, why because it should.
  • Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It should be available to everyone, regardless of age, gender or background, as long as you got that hs diploma lol.

in the free world( The ? Netherlands son!). Public transport(subway/train/bus etc) is free for students. Yearly tuition fees are around 1700€

best business school is the Erasmus uni in Rotterdam

political science or biochemistry, University of Leiden is the place to be..

wanna be an engineer in whatever? Technical Uni of Delft brings that fiya.

all 3 of em are ranked in the top 100 of the world.

? you gonna be in debt for? Go to Holland ? and develop yourself
  • (Nope)
    Options
    (Nope) wrote: »

I don't consider myself a Republican, Democrat, or follower of any political party. I just don't feel that people should feel entitled to handouts from the government just because...

An individual has the power to leave his or her mark on the world regardless of circumstances, upbringing, and their environment. If one truly wants to succeed, then one will do whatever it takes to make it happen. Only weak minded people allow others to hold them back.

College is and should be free to those who have proven themselves academically no matter their ethnicity. If you don't make the cut don't whine... the world needs ditch diggers too...

I have a 4.0 and I'm working on a Master's. Blaming people for their environment shows a lack of critical thinking; I assume you never made it to university?

• caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No! My reasoning is in a capitalist nation it will be degraded. University that are affordable are cheapened today. Look at the for profit school and the stigma they carry. Also people dont appreciate free. Look at public schools.

Should it be discounted and made available by qualification other than money or choice. Yes!
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »

College shouldn't be free to citizens because of their race

No one is given a scholarship off race alone
    they have to excel in something like other scholarships

He skipped trashboat's comment. Here it is again.
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    anyone care to explain why?

Society is better off when the people are educated.
  • (Nope)
    edited October 2014
    Options
    bgoat wrote: »
    pralims wrote: »
    anyone care to explain why?

Society is better off when the people are educated.

They don't hear you. An uneducated populous is much easier to control. It's near impossible to give a brief synopsis on the effect lack of education has on our population. The way it affects us economically should be clear and concrete, other things are more abstract... Understanding legislation, voting for legislation, electing officials.