How Come Nobody Duplicated What No Limit Did?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
No Limit released around 70-80 records between 1997-2000. How come nobody else did that? There were a few record labels that were in a position to release music like that (Cash Money, Death Row, Aftermath, Bad Boy, Rocafella, Rawkus, Shady, G Unit, Dipset, State Property) I mean, all of the aforementioned labels did their thing but not quite the way No Limit did it.

It has to be profitable. I can imagine 20 years from now somebody would be willing to buy all of the No Limit CDs as a collectors item. How come none of the other labels can see that? Copyrights last 90+ years after the artist dies. So even if the album is a flop you might be able to make money later on down the road, like artists from the 70s who flopped but now their records get sampled.

Master P's hustle makes the most sense IMO.

Comments

• 5 Grand
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »
    where are they now?

That sounds like over saturation

We'll yeah but he shut down Hip Hop for a good 3 years and has the biggest catalog out of any Hip Hop mogul. the point is that he has the deepest catalog. he'll make a lot of money in the future.
  • banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He was a Pioneer in the way he came in the game, but also ? it up for those who follow. It only take a major label to get burned once before they like we'll never let that happen again
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    What No Limit did was crazy but labels won't make money like that in this music market. Times are a little different now and they oversaturated themselves putting out too much wack music after awhile. But we gotta give some groups after No limit their credit like Rocafella for putting out a lot of artists and hot music, same with G-Unit, Aftermath and Young Money. Especially G-Unit during their prime
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    albums are not as profitable as they were back then not to mention they sold allot of albums out trunks which meant more direct profits. Nobody is going to sample ? from you anymore either from their albums they will just put it in a mixtape then perform it live where revenue comes to both the label (360 deals) and the artist.

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Quality>>Quantity
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    many have tried

few have succeeded
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He sold the catalog when he went bankrupt...
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    P was letting his artist drop albums. Today labels run by rappers dont have the same succes cuz the big artist dont want the other artists outshining them so they keep em on the shelf and won't promote them
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why aint you do it?
  • b@squ1@t redux
    b@squ1@t redux Members Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    macklemore is gearin up to do it
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He hasn't released an iPod since last year though.. I'm speaking of Macklemore
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Quality>>Quantity

Bingo! It's easy to make garbage and release it in mass.

• Ear2DaSt
    edited October 2014
    Options
    P had the production to build up his catalog
    few have that type of production hundreds of albums
    You got to have the talent and resources backing you up
    and then it's timing

These labels got smart and started making the artist aim at the undeground
    to keep new competitors from coming up
    so now its like if you aint in you pretty much gotta get with an established label

They could do something like that it just seems like it be harder now in this present climate
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    Notice P had his soldiers he didn't try to carry the label by himself either
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1. Oversaturation

2. This was before the internet took over music. What set No Limit apart was the amount of music they gave you. Now...you can get new music ANYTIME, ANYWHERE from pretty much ANY artists. Be it an album, official mixtape, unauthorized mixtape, EP, etc.

3. Record contracts were different back then. These days, labels are trying to stagger releases as much as possible to keep cash-flow coming in from those 360 deals at all times. Constantly releasing albums means constantly having to re-negotiate that 3 album deal with their artists every 2-4 years.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    over saturation of the rappers sounding all the same
    aint nobody establishing their own sound
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rappers are too busy dropping their best music for FREE
  • 5 Grand
    edited October 2014
    Options
    rapmusic wrote: »

Does that make any sense?

Seriously, in todays climate you can do what Master P was doing and press up 10,000 units of 50 different albums and you'd probably sell all of them.

I'm not saying to press a million of each CD, but 10k of each CD and keep it moving.

I know a lot of people (myself included) who would rather have the CD with the case than have an mp3. Granted, I still d/l music and burn CDs but I still like to have the CD with the jewel case too.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    rapmusic wrote: »

Does that make any sense?

Seriously, in todays climate you can do what Master P was doing and press up 10,000 units of 50 different albums and you'd probably sell all of them.

I'm not saying to press a million of each CD, but 10k of each CD and keep it moving.

I know a lot of people (myself included) who would rather have the CD with the case than have an mp3. Granted, I still d/l music and burn CDs but I still like to have the CD with the jewel case too.

I know people Chasing rap that struggle to move 1000 copies

It seems you're making it sound really easy by neglecting the changes since P's time
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He hasn't released an iPod since last year though.. I'm speaking of Macklemore

Hadn't released an album....? spellcheck