2»

Comments

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    DarcSkies wrote: »
    Great sound byte. I used to say the same. But then you look up the fact that the vast majority of businesses are either started via old money or bank loans. THen you look up the fact that blacks are discriminated against by banks...then you realize how starting your own business is harder than people make it seem.

The roadbumps created by racism can not and should not be ignored. Just because we're sick of hearing about them does not mean they arent there.

That doesn't mean its hopeless so no use in trying. But knowing those facts should make you understand the lack of progress instead of condemn.

Not all businesses require a bank loan, especially not the ones in the tech field.
    ? think they need to start the next IBM, but there are countless ways that you could employ software to make you money.

All you need is a fairly up to date computer and a way to access the internet.

S2J wrote: »
    Ok, ok...Entreprenuer at WHAT?

Im tired of nggas usin that as a copout. At least be specific. Its vague and it implies owning your own business is the lap of luxury. Its not. You're statistically more likely to crash and burn.

So entreprenuer at WHAT? What skills do you posess, what's your business plan or model. What will you actually DO for a living??

russell-westbrook.jpg

How the hell is it suddenly my job to tell ? what sectors to enter into?

I don't know these ? . I have no idea what their interests are, or what they're good at.
    The real problem is, most of them don't really know that ? about themselves either; And settling on such ignorance ( ignorance of SELF, at that ) as a reason as to why suggesting entrepreneurship is somehow a ambiguous is a copout of epic proportions.

Do some ? research and figure that ? out. Think outside the box. Be optimistic.
    Using myself as an example, I taught myself the skills I needed to make my business work.

I sat down.
    I decided that I wanted to be in control of my own life.
    I considered the skills I had currently, and decided how I wanted to use them.
    I researched what else I would need to know / do in order to get my ? off the ground, dolo.
    And then I went to work.

That's the formula.
    It wasn't easy, but it was worth it.

I was speaking in general.

'Be an entreprenuer' is as vague, hollow, and cliche as ...wait for it...'go to school. Get an education'

pharrel.gif

Its actually worse.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is why We need to focus on becoming entrepreneurs instead of employees.
    Stop complaining about not being able to work for the White man. Just stop.

THATS COOL AND ALL, BUT WHEN IT COMES TO BLACKS AND BUSINESS, ALOT OF THEM DONT HAVE FRESH IDEAS BECAUSE THEY HAVENT BEEN EXPOSED TO ANYTHING NEW

BB SHOP
    BBQ
    CAR WASH
    MUSIC
    CLOTHES
    HOT WINGS

AND YOU WILL SEE 4 OF THOSE SAME BUSINESS WITHIN 3 MINS OF 1 ANOTHER
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DRO_BANKS wrote: »

THATS COOL AND ALL, BUT WHEN IT COMES TO BLACKS AND BUSINESS, ALOT OF THEM DONT HAVE FRESH IDEAS BECAUSE THEY HAVENT BEEN EXPOSED TO ANYTHING NEW

BB SHOP
    BBQ
    CAR WASH
    MUSIC
    CLOTHES
    HOT WINGS

Swear to ? ? have tried to have me invest with em in 4 out of 6 of those. We limited in our scope. Minds closed bruh, when I talk about the stock market, and logistics businesses or other things that don't involve our every day life. ? look at me like i'm from another planet.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bachelor degree is the new h.s. Diploma. Companies not hiring you just cause you got a piece of paper,which is why I'm an advocate of college revamping their whole curriculum. Do away them ? general requirement classes and instead focus more on career intensive courses and real world skill classes. But colleges ain't doing that ? ...

This is why they have focused technical schools.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

BB SHOP
    BBQ
    CAR WASH
    MUSIC
    CLOTHES
    HOT WINGS

why do u have such low opinion of your race?
    u b saying some real unsubstantiated hateful ? about blacks.
  • King_sorrow
    King_sorrow Members Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    Nggas saying ? college so they can open a Rent em Spoons. ? outta here

Young ? won't get that that reference lol

had to google it and ?

• S2J
    Options

Lol i was about to disagree, thought everybody remembered that, but...

had to google it and ?

#MakingaDifference
    #ImpactingLives
    #YoWeOldasShyt
  • BarreGoff
    BarreGoff Members Posts: 326 ✭✭
    Options
    I can relate - had to create my own job when no one would hire my degree-having self
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

BB SHOP
    BBQ
    CAR WASH
    MUSIC
    CLOTHES
    HOT WINGS

I think you're baiting but I'll indulge you regardless...

Not Dro but I can agree with his thoughts. I'll put it to you like this.....
    Unless you grew up in a large multicultural metro area that has big business like LA or NYC or the Cali Bay Area (I'm excluding Chicago for a reason) chances are all you know is what you've been exposed to. And you've mainly been exposed to is hood environment and hood people with hood thinking processes. You grow up thinking the world (and your possibilities in it) is a lot smaller than it is because of your limited view and world experience. Your view is limited because you haven't been exposed to much. You haven't been exposed to much because your parents weren't exposed to much either and they can only teach you what they know. That is "the cycle". So most times even with an entrepreneurial spirit but a limited world view based on the hood you end up with:

BB SHOP
    BBQ
    CAR WASH
    MUSIC
    CLOTHES
    HOT WINGS

That's what you've grown up seeing people like you own and control with your own eyes. You believe for you what you see your people actually doing. If you grew up around ballers you can add "night club" to the list too.
  • God_Yunn
    God_Yunn Members Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

agreed. In that business thread aind in strictly business sub forum thats all we speak on.

I'm planning running my own ? now. We must build and these ? studies will be no more cause we hire our own
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The focus should actually be on how you spend the money you do have rather than how it's generated.

Why?

Because there is always going to be more consumers than sellers. And even then you empower your own because you are supporting your own entrepreneurs.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bachelor degree is the new h.s. Diploma. Companies not hiring you just cause you got a piece of paper,which is why I'm an advocate of college revamping their whole curriculum. Do away them ? general requirement classes and instead focus more on career intensive courses and real world skill classes. But colleges ain't doing that ? ...

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. It's been a while since I been in undergrad, but I think we only had to take like 4 or 5 Gordon Rule courses. At most decent schools, you really only take like a year's worth of general courses that in no way pertain to your major. Other than that, you're taking classes related to your major or classes that you choose based on what extra expertise you wish to gain.

Don't get ? twisted. A lot of people go to college spinning their wheels and don't have a good idea of what they want to do when they get out. The people who have direction and focus can most definitely tailor their curricula to help them in their chosen careers.

• S2J
    Options

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. It's been a while since I been in undergrad, but I think we only had to take like 4 or 5 Gordon Rule courses. At most decent schools, you really only take like a year's worth of general courses that in no way pertain to your major. Other than that, you're taking classes related to your major or classes that you choose based on what extra expertise you wish to gain.

Don't get ? twisted. A lot of people go to college spinning their wheels and don't have a good idea of what they want to do when they get out. The people who have direction and focus can most definitely tailor their curricula to help them in their chosen careers.

ray2_1_gif2.gif

The people i know...accounting major-had a job before she graduated. IT/C++...job before he graduated

Now if you got a marketign degree or plitical science or somethin like that you better get your network on.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

BB SHOP
    BBQ
    CAR WASH
    MUSIC
    CLOTHES
    HOT WINGS

I think you're baiting but I'll indulge you regardless...

Not Dro but I can agree with his thoughts. I'll put it to you like this.....
    Unless you grew up in a large multicultural metro area that has big business like LA or NYC or the Cali Bay Area (I'm excluding Chicago for a reason) chances are all you know is what you've been exposed to. And you've mainly been exposed to is hood environment and hood people with hood thinking processes. You grow up thinking the world (and your possibilities in it) is a lot smaller than it is because of your limited view and world experience. Your view is limited because you haven't been exposed to much. You haven't been exposed to much because your parents weren't exposed to much either and they can only teach you what they know. That is "the cycle". So most times even with an entrepreneurial spirit but a limited world view based on the hood you end up with:

BB SHOP
    BBQ
    CAR WASH
    MUSIC
    CLOTHES
    HOT WINGS

That's what you've grown up seeing people like you own and control with your own eyes. You believe for you what you see your people actually doing. If you grew up around ballers you can add "night club" to the list too.

so if you're a ? yokel, all u know is tumbleweed and chitterlings? cool.
    the ? a one hotel town need with a tech start up?
    that is not exclusive to black folks.
    if you're on the internet daily, why would u still believe that the only thing black entrepreneurs invest in is car washes?
    at what point do you stop applying negative characteristics exclusively to your race?
    at what point does where you grew up stop being the beginning and end of your knowledge base?
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not all businesses require a bank loan, especially not the ones in the tech field.
    ? think they need to start the next IBM, but there are countless ways that you could employ software to make you money.

All you need is a fairly up to date computer and a way to access the internet.

...if it was THAT easy everyone would do it. You're ignoring the caveats of life.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol ? forget that to own a business, you need a marketable skill or product. Not everyone has either of those. Hell most people don't. I'm not saying people can't develop one or both over time, but some people on this site like to act like just anyone can be an entrepreneur and come up with a successful business at any time.