College Degree Appreciation Thread

Options
S2J
S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in For The Grown & Sexy
Lets dicsuss the other side of the coin...some of us actually arent just wandering in confusion with that useless college degree. Lets shout out to all the people who worked the system to have nice comfy desk jobs where you post on the IC all day.

No manual labor, no worrying about bringing in customers, no 12 hour shifts...u know, all that entrepreneurial ? . Just come in, get paid, and go home.

Cheers.

Comments

• mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread will die a slow, painful death. Anyway, I'm sitting in my office right now, been posting on the IC all day. i almost exclusively post at work between 8-5. Great gig at the most popular company on Earth, get paid very well, etc. Salute.

I mean...none of that had anything to do with my college degree. But still. Lol.
  • S2J
    edited October 2014
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    This thread will die a slow, painful death. Anyway, I'm sitting in my office right now, been posting on the IC all day. i almost exclusively post at work between 8-5. Great gig at the most popular company on Earth, get paid very well, etc. Salute.

I mean...none of that had anything to do with my college degree. But still. Lol.

Would you have gotten the job w/ no degree at all
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Enjoyed my time there. Instantly made double of what I owe. Enjoyable 9-5. It's a good start.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    mryounggun wrote: »

Would you have gotten the job w/ no degree at all

I was working here before I finished my degree. And lots of my professional peers have no college degree.
  • count  remy
    count remy Members Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's really nothing like taking an extended lunch break to go hang at the strip club and not have to worry about hours and ? . True it's the B-squad on stage but all the maniacs aren't in there and the drinks are on sale. I usually get back to my desk by 2:30 just in time to grab a monster and push though a few hundred lines of code before I head home.
  • Ghost313
    Ghost313 Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No degree yet, but I have made my money work for me.
  • Houston Texan
    Houston Texan Members Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I got a couple of degrees, and I am using them for my current gig, and I enjoy the benefits in my bank account twice (sometimes 3 times) a month....But I show love to those doing big things without degrees also. Get it how you get it.
  • Beezus
    Beezus Members Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got a degree
    Nice job
    I actually have to work during the day
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    Have a degree ...Working in the field I went to school for

Cushy job with amazing benefits

Cheers to the good life !
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man ? my degree and I got cushy desk job. When I moved I left that piece of paper at my mother house.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I will admit my degree and school name opened the door for me that i wouldn't have gotten a shot at otherwise

I appreciate these nice nice paychecks
  • King_sorrow
    King_sorrow Members Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What do yall have degrees in?
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not one person mentioned owning a business or working for themselves...payed all that money to sit at a desk.....to each his own...
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got my Bachelor's Degree of Science in Mechanical Engineering.
    I work as a design engineer. When I first started there was one engineer here, then he left a few months later. I been running the engineering dept. since then. Looking around for that Senior Engineer spot though.
    I work Mon-Fri. 8-5.
  • King_sorrow
    King_sorrow Members Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    CoogiKen wrote: »
    Not one person mentioned owning a business or working for themselves...payed all that money to sit at a desk.....to each his own...

I've worked with people who've owned business and they've all said that owning a business is not all its cracked up to be. 60-80 hr weeks for 50-60k a year after the government rapes you and paying for all benefits on your lonesome.
  • S2J
    edited October 2014
    Options

I've worked with people who've owned business and they've all said that owning a business is not all its cracked up to be. 60-80 hr weeks for 50-60k a year after the government rapes you and paying for all benefits on your lonesome.

shhh. Dont let the IC hear this.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And there is nothing wrong with that. To each his own. Just people look at as all roses.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a masters in the IT field and I dont think I will ever use it. But it is the field I always wanted to do but my experience is in logistics and facility management. So I might go back and get another masters just to do something. I also might get certified in SAP if I can find someone to pay for it.
  • jetlifebih
    Options

Elaborate....what business was it???, what was the owners plan??? The people who are complacent for owning a business sustaining 50-60k....besides me working 60-80 hours a week selling sneakers(example) is not remotely hard labor, its actually fun if your into shoes and making money...I'd rather that than deal with Somebodies ? again to each his own....
  • jetlifebih
    Options
    *the people who are complacent owning a business making 60k are the same as the person working a desk job for the same...
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shout out to all yall with degrees

everest.gif
  • S2J
    Options
    *the people who are complacent owning a business making 60k are the same as the person working a desk job for the same...

Who said their complacent??

Hard working, forward thinking, saavy business people very well may earn 60k/yr...for the REST of their business tenure. IF THEY'RE LUCKY!

Ngga you better smarten up.