• leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The business degree.
  • leftcoastkev
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Plenty will disagree but I would take a computer science degree over a business degree. Unless you going into DEEP financials and accounting/corporate finance I'd say never mind a business degree. Quite frankly I think a business degree is a waste of time, BUT it depends where you tryna go. Unless you doing corporate finance/structure and accounting I see the utility of it but in general maaaaaaannnnnn I wouldn't do it. Now if that's what YOU feel is right for you GO FOR IT fam.

At the end of the day tho, go where you believe you will be successful doing what you love - not where people or preconceived notions think you should. I know that sounds "cliche" but when you get older you'll see what I mean. If the math stuff in computer science is too much for me just leave and go where your heart takes you. ? try a business degree and see where it takes you. Business is so broad there's almost something for everyone if you look hard enough. You can get certifications for computer science stuff too so take that into consideration. Society is moving towards people who have the tools to do a job and the skillset versus flashy degrees so them certs will make you look better.

When it comes to upward mobility, the business degree is better.....if you don't wanna work for yourself. And looks better if your gonna to consult. And looks better when owning your own business.

Get a business degree, get a CCIE, if you're gonna live legal and work in the technical field, it's the way to always having money.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    computer certs work just as good as a computer programming degree
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You don't need a computer science degree to get a good job in IT.I know a chank who runs his own computer repair shop and has his a+ and some other geek certs I can't remember.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    Im 22, in Atlanta and seeing so many Black Americans making it and being succesful is really beautiful. Im still in a state of shock, because growing up in N.O., many African Americans sat at the bottom of the gumbo ? .

I took a semster of from college, im a junior and ill be transferring soon, most likely to UWG since its pretty affordable and seems to be respected enough.

The only thing is my current major (computer science/informatics) is in the early stages and im not to sure if i can handle it. My confidence in math is low since ima C student in math, overall GPA is 3.1, and i already know how difficult the programming can be with algortihms. My past high schools lacked the resources to teach anything, so post school im feeling the effects. I just started C programming (trying to teach myslef) and my mind is blown away lol.

To all the successful and black excellence people, whats your story and what do you recommend? Should i jump in the buisness degree lane? I know its considered a cop out but Social pressure is kicking in on me forreal. My passion is frowned upon the College and buisness world, so im just looking for advice.

PS, Im asking the IC because i know no one else to ask lol. Thanks

My previous post talked about the math part. As far as the programming. Just get the basics, the only programming course that you need to made damn sure you understand what's happening is Data Structures. My first language was C++ so, just make sure you do understand the object oriented part. Even the java script you run into is Object oriented these days. Try PHP if you're having issues with C. Pointers really are a pain in the ass as well as having to worry about garbage collecting. PHP is much neater or, you can do apple's objective-C which is stupid but works. object.longAssMotherfuckinWord.someOtherShit.[1].fuckThis all that might hold the number '2'. I'm kind of partial but. I'd stay with computer science. It's very worth it. You're not limited to coding. I mostly manage databases and most of the coding I do is sharepoint stuff as well as load balancing servers. You will make money.....
  • SixSickSins
    SixSickSins Members Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Please go into computer science. There is sound advice in here touting it. Your opportunities will be vast, rewarding, fun, and lucrative.

Once you get past the math and programming prerequisites, you can begin to focus on where you'd like to concentrate.

You won't regret it!
  • powerman 5000
    Options
    Did you think about switching to business and keeping computer science as your minor? Get the bet of both worlds...
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    there's tons of math in computer science though..I hated it
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You could look into networking too, Cisco CCNA cert/associate degree can get you 70k a year

and its really not that much math just in subnetting, its what Im doing currently
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Much respect to y'all, I'm definitely weighing my options. I just wanna avoid math any way possible knowing I have to do it in the computer field lol.

Honestly speaking, I don't have a passion for none of this ? , and its hella tedious. I just wanna invest in a nice paying job as a security blanket to do what I really want to do. I don't wanna be a dumb ? and not have a plan B, so I'll continue to inform myself in the computer the field that work towards my strengths.

PS. Music is my passion. The only ? I give a damn about. Ask me a question about that and I can talk hours, but I understand how the world is structure so IMA get a degree/ certification and find a decent job for finical support and to pay off student loans. Bcotton I may look into that fam, I'm intrigued.
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    Did you think about switching to business and keeping computer science as your minor? Get the bet of both worlds...

I'm leaning towards that FAM. While I'm pursuing those, I may try to get certified in different certifications. So when I graduate, I'll have plenty under me.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Business is the most oversaturated arts major
    there is not enough demand to employ all of the business majors

comp sci will get you further imo
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    Tbh I knew business is "art major" status, I just didn't want to accept it lol
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Pico wrote: »
    Get a business degree. You can get computer certs.

Start up a computer based business....

the_wire.gif

What does that even mean.

Most people dont go to business school to start a business. Most (wise people) take that then get an MBA (which going foward is pretty much the primary reason to get a bus degree) then get on a career path of an executive position.

Once you get an MBA you should financially be past 'starting a business' right away. Thats what the IC wont tell you. Yea starting a business sounds great but financially, unless you're in the 5%, you actually would make more going the dreaded 'working for the man' route. Then once you build up your money AND accumen you can look to start a business in your 30's, 40s. You know, when you actually might know wtf you're doing.

A comp science degree puts you in any direction you want, with less school and less dependence on networking, and is far more marketable especially the way things are going.

Source: I have a business degree.
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    You could look into networking too, Cisco CCNA cert/associate degree can get you 70k a year

and its really not that much math just in subnetting, its what Im doing currently
    And I really hate math, that's why I picked this and you're pretty much guaranteed a job with the cert/degree
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just get a business degree and certs.
  • silverfoxx
    Options

And I really hate math, that's why I picked this and you're pretty much guaranteed a job with the cert/degree
    How long did it take you to get certified? What schools did you attend?

Is it possible to get a business degree in MBA and get certified in Cisco CCNA? Level of difficultly for a noob?
  • Bcotton5
    Options

How long did it take you to get certified? What schools did you attend?

Is it possible to get a business degree in MBA and get certified in Cisco CCNA? Level of difficultly for a noob?

I'm still going it's 4 classes but you have to take them in different semesters so it'll take a year maybe a little more.

you might as well take other classes while you take them too so at the end of the year you'll have a degree

• CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    computer science is a limited degree that requires alot of math/
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    Bump.

Im looking a certifcation 5 day courses etc man they expensive as hell,

http://tools.cisco.com/GlobalLearningLocator/courseDetails.do?actionType=executeCourseDetail&courseID=5880

where do you guys gain yall certs from? Yall really be spending that much for them? The CCNA Cisco cert wants 3 stacks up front.....
  • powerman 5000
    Options
    All my certs were paid for by my employer. Share point, network+, Redhat admin, and Microsoft develpoer
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bump.

Im looking a certifcation 5 day courses etc man they expensive as hell,

http://tools.cisco.com/GlobalLearningLocator/courseDetails.do?actionType=executeCourseDetail&courseID=5880

where do you guys gain yall certs from? Yall really be spending that much for them? The CCNA Cisco cert wants 3 stacks up front.....

my little brother started on the ccent he self studied, it's the easiest cisco cert to get but is not worth much by itself to employers but it made getting the ccna easier now he's a ccnp.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    computer science is a limited degree that requires alot of math/

Comp Sci is more versatile than business imo

What makes you say it's more limited?
  • leftcoastkev
    edited October 2014
    Options

• 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? I'm doin' ight on my computer science ? .

Absolutely nothing wrong with knowing about business tho.

You could do it either way, depending on what works.

1. Self-study computers, Formal-study business.

- or-

2. Self-study business, Formal-study computers.

Don't get it twisted though, there's IT jobs that would only hire someone with a related-degree.