Jimi Hendrix (Long Article) Getting Booed, Egged in Harlem

Options
nujerz84
nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Cunt_Lyfe
    Cunt_Lyfe Members, Writer Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Put this on my Facebook earlier. Thanks for posting this.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Two weeks after closing Woodstock with his reinvention of "The Star Spangled Banner," Jimi Hendrix decided to offer a free concert for a group he called "my people."

He held a concert for an African-American audience in Harlem, a place he once called home. Hendrix's homecoming, though, was almost ruined as soon as he stepped onstage. Someone threw a bottle at him that shattered against a speaker; eggs splattered on the stage. Hendrix gamely played on while much of the crowd melted away.

Hendrix traveled to Harlem because he was trying to connect with blacks who had dismissed him as a musical Uncle Tom: a black man playing white man's music. Music critics and biographers say Hendrix also was frustrated by legions of white fans who only saw him as a racial stereotype -- a hypersexual black man who was high all the time -- instead of a serious musician.

Damn, ? kind of reminded me of Jesus where his own, accepted him not
  • D0wn
    Options
    If Jimmy was alive today, age 27, would we consider him an uncle tom???
  • D0wn
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Its an interesting read to see how he was welcomed/perceived by certain group of folks.

Time and Death change the perceptions of peoples legacy.
    Word to Tupac... At the time of his death, he was the most hated.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    Two weeks after closing Woodstock with his reinvention of "The Star Spangled Banner," Jimi Hendrix decided to offer a free concert for a group he called "my people."

He held a concert for an African-American audience in Harlem, a place he once called home. Hendrix's homecoming, though, was almost ruined as soon as he stepped onstage. Someone threw a bottle at him that shattered against a speaker; eggs splattered on the stage. Hendrix gamely played on while much of the crowd melted away.

Hendrix traveled to Harlem because he was trying to connect with blacks who had dismissed him as a musical Uncle Tom: a black man playing white man's music. Music critics and biographers say Hendrix also was frustrated by legions of white fans who only saw him as a racial stereotype -- a hypersexual black man who was high all the time -- instead of a serious musician.

Smh.

A strong possibility of that.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reads like his image is what shaped peoples view of him. And the people responded accordingly. I think the same would happen in this era. Musically, there was no reason for either side not to appreciate what he was doing.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ANYBODY SEE THE MOVIE?
  • D0wn
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    Reads like his image is what shaped peoples view of him. And the people responded accordingly. I think the same would happen in this era. Musically, there was no reason for either side not to appreciate what he was doing.

Musically, blks aint really vibed with him, cant blame them for that, but throwing ? at the guy when he's trying to reach out to u for free. while he could of been getting money with some white folks, is typical ? behavior.

2nd, whites in america Was in love with his image, more than his music. which played up to a stero type. they was tryna box him in as just that. They wanted him to do the same songs over n over. n rather see him play with his tongue, break or burn his guitars than hear his new ? . Theirs footage of Jimi , begging the crowd to listen his new ? .
    He was like a circus act to them, and not a musician.

that tupac lyric, "Nobody knows me im a shadow", is the story to Jimi's life for real.

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Same ? goes on today. Check this forum and how anyone who does anything different than the "norm" is a ? .
  • count  remy
    count remy Members Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Jimi to this date is the GOAT guitarist. Clapton and Santana are up there as well as Slash and of course BB king at least those are my personal favorites. What he did with that star spangled banner gives me goose bumps to this day. He did that in 1969 and people still aren't hearing Jimi.
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Before the tide of whining comrs in, this is commonplace for artists. Tell me a famous artists who ever said they never neen booed off staged or walked out
    On? Even biggie got stories out there of ? getting thrown at him on stage at first...? even later according to that e40 story lmfao

U gotta win ovee ur crowds n demographics...its obvious he hadnt won over the black demographic yet dnt make this deeper than it is

? aint supposed to just feel
    Someone off top cause they are sucessful wit whites

And according to miles davis they werw gonna make an albim, but he upped n dropped dead...that woulda been some shut forreal! Damn smh
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My dad always told that white ppl took jimi and tried to remake him in their image. He said they kept him and high and tried to use him while he was hot. Sounds like what they did to Michael Jackson. He said the brothers didnt have any beef w/jimi but they recognized the flim flammery the whites were trying to run on him.
  • Gucci Scott King
    Gucci Scott King Members Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I heard a rumor about him wanting to quit rock music because he didn't have many black fans and him feeling alone in a genre dominated by white people.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Its an interesting read to see how he was welcomed/perceived by certain group of folks.

Time and Death change the perceptions of peoples legacy.
    Word to Tupac... At the time of his death, he was the most hated.

According to who? Everybody I know loved Pac then, ? were bumping All Eyez On Me all through '96.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess the author of this article decided to omit the fact that Hendrix got booed off the stage opening for the Monkees and subsequently quit that tour because of it or that when he closed Woodstock it was at 9am and most of those dirtbag hippies had already left because it didn't fit into the racialized story he wanted to tell.

• black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    vitoria wrote: »

Reminds of Jadakiss lyric - Too hard for MTV, not black enough for BET, just let me be !!

Let's not forget this by Jadakiss:

"When you get a little money/
    Crackers start showing you love, you're own people act funny"
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah but he'd have so much money and respect he wouldn't give a ? .
  • OhPee
    OhPee Members Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, BB King the GOATS
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OhPee wrote: »

Prince, Ernie Isley, Curtis Mayfield, Kravitz, Eddie Van Halen
  • OhPee
    OhPee Members Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    OhPee wrote: »

Prince, Ernie Isley, Curtis Mayfield, Kravitz, Eddie Van Halen

Kravitz is good bruh but one of the greatest? Prince and Van Halen are top ballots for sure.. Can't forget Slash and Pete Townshend