Dr. Boyce Watkins: 4 Reasons Black celebs feel comfortable ignoring Black people

Options

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    Boo.

? is simple to understand. Its no different than an sports athlete being told by anonymous people on the internet they need to leave those hood ? alone.

All this "good talk" on the internet and ? dont do ? different when they leave the keyboard.

Celebrities dont poly with ? cause they small minded.

In a sense, yes but goes to shoe the lack of leadership most people are small minded. But a good leader knows how to work with it. The athelete should really be a secret investor.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black people the only race of people participating in group think.This isn't the 1950s.

Why can't we have opposing views as a people. Then we get mad when we get stereotyped.
  • Masterfultech
    Masterfultech Members Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Black people the only race of people participating in group think.This isn't the 1950s.

Why can't we have opposing views as a people. Then we get mad when we get stereotyped.

>Black People are the only

Fallacy...

You're right this isn't the 1950's as they had a collective goal and better infrastructure as a people.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    jay83 wrote: »
    Number 4 isn't just black folks. It's pretty much everybody in America.

Agreed. I think it just disproportionately effects black people.

Add the idea that we don't realize like to criticize successful blacks (well we can't without being called a 'hater') and you have this situation we in currently.

I don't think some feel like you can't criticize successful blacks I think some of that is pushback from people who run to call somebody a ? or sellout simply for saying something they disagree with. People have different agendas or may even have a different way of going about the same agenda and far too often as soon as a disagreement is had it becomes "? that ? ass ? "
  • usmarin3
    Options

Fallacy...

You're right this isn't the 1950's as they had a collective goal and better infrastructure as a people.

The plight in the 50s isn't the same as it is today. That's the problem imo. We're holding on to old ways of doing ? when our world is more complex than those of the past.
  • Masterfultech
    Masterfultech Members Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Fallacy...

The plight in the 50s isn't the same as it is today. That's the problem imo. We're holding on to old ways of doing ? when our world is more complex than those of the past.

Do we still live in a capitalist society? Do we also live in a society that categorizes people by phenotype and culture? Is group economics no less important than it was in their time?

The world's changed but not by much...
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you notice younger educated men with good wise council from elders tend to put action and more energy in movements.

You know in Hidden Colors 3, Umar Johnson mentions about how many of the riots that happened in the 70's-80's were the younger generation. He said that in Africa, why are there still elder leaders there? The youth are the one's who are the energy and/or charismatic of their groups. Very deep.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Another misguided brother who can't see that the warfare has only changed, but the goals of the war have not.
  • usmarin3
    Options

You never heard of Jews?
    You never heard of Arabs?

Collective consciousness is a huge part of identity politics.

False. Those cultures allow different thoughts and ideologies. There are conservatives and liberal countries/groups amongst those groups.
  • traestar
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    I dare either Steve Harvey or Stephen A to confront white feminists, Jews or ? rights groups on a controversial issue and end their commentary with the words “I don’t give a damn.” If they were to use those words in response to a backlash, they’d be on the street faster than you can say the words “Roland Martin is no longer with CNN.”

realest ? ever wrote

You mean this?

http://youtu.be/lWgPh8JlOXs

Yep, because they know they have a job and don't want to lose that job.
    Steven A was STILL suspended after that, smh.
  • traestar
    edited February 2015
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    The part about making "leaders" is so true. They claim Corey Booker is the next "one" up. Long suspected this guy was a fraud, that's stands for nothing and will do anything to be in the know. Knew this guy was a fraud.

Y'all should read the Daily Beast piece on dude

Did you know that in Cory Booker's campaign commercial had Malcolm X's killer shaking hands with a cop?
    http://youtu.be/N2AtNGy1xb8

Hey guys, quick update on this topic:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/malcolm-x-assassination-mystery-article-1.2115843

Snippet of article:

Life is good for Al-Mustafa Shabazz.

The 76-year-old ex-con lives in a gated two-story home in one of the nicer neighborhoods in Newark.

He drives a gold Mercedes Benz E-Class sedan. And he’s married to one of the city’s most prominent civic leaders.

But Shabazz has an even better reason to be counting his blessings: He allegedly got away with one of the most notorious murders of the 20th century.

The burly Muslim with the white beard was the chief assassin in the slaying of Malcolm X, according to the author of a Pulitzer Prize-winning biography of the slain civil rights leader.

As of this post, the article is TWO DAYS AGO!
  • CHICAGO_BREED
    CHICAGO_BREED Members Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well it's like this brethren......its funny how ppl on here so black power strong but be the main ones talking about how they LOVE red ones or bark butts......really bruh, you cooning and don't even know it. Anytime you categorize a black woman you part of the problem. Too many brothas want a Latin or big butt white girl trying to equate another race of woman to a black woman. Another thing, black ppl can't support another without thinking they trying to get over. For example, a brotha would rather go to a white owned mechanic shop instead of a black one cause they believe they doing th job right or a brotha would rather spend 9-10$ on chickfila but say 9$ a plate at a soul food spot "too damn much" or a black woman would rather shop at an Asian owned beauty supply rather than black owned one because the hair 2$ dollars cheaper. Stop marginalizing your community cause the black community is the ONLY community that will accept ya ass. The black mentality is that of a dog; you can beat us down everyday, verbally abuse us everyday but we always forgive. That ? need to stop. I learned along time ago to stop having pity for these tap dancing Negroes who ? on they ppl that support em. But you gotta understand, that the media portray the base fan as white. Once black people stop being afraid of NOT BEING ACCEPTED then we'll be on our way to building a better community. Black women getting implants cause they wanna be accepted, black young boys selling drugs to the hood but lay his head in the burbs, everybody wanna be a rapper cause that's what's deemed to be "cool." Having a bookbag full of books rather than dope mean you ? ......FOH. Love yourself homie and love what you got and I PROMISE at the end of the day youll appreciate yourself more. We got a lot of work to do and honestly I don't see a change happening in my lifetime because white ppl pump negativity in the hoods everyday and the generation of youth today is not prepared.
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The reason why there aren't any black leaders is because anytime a black person speaks pure truth, they're seen as radical or militant.

Let's face it, the truth about race in this country will hurt ALOT of ppl feelings. The Europeans STOLE this country from the Indians, enslaved black ppl, deprived us of proper education, lied to us about our history, ? our woman, and separated our fathers from our families to create a divided household. Why? To CONTROL us. It's always about control. They don't EVER want us have that control. What does that mean? Unfair jail sentencing, under funded schools in urban areas, assassination of our leaders to negate any racial uprising, racial profiling & racial discrimination throughout our judicial system etc..They still treating us like slaves in 2015. The leaders we THINK are on our side are paid informants.

It's deeper than just "coming together as a ppl". Somebody gotta expose the root of these problems, but these ? is scared to ? up they paper
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well it's like this brethren......its funny how ppl on here so black power strong but be the main ones talking about how they LOVE red ones or bark butts......really bruh, you cooning and don't even know it. Anytime you categorize a black woman you part of the problem. Too many brothas want a Latin or big butt white girl trying to equate another race of woman to a black woman. Another thing, black ppl can't support another without thinking they trying to get over. For example, a brotha would rather go to a white owned mechanic shop instead of a black one cause they believe they doing th job right or a brotha would rather spend 9-10$ on chickfila but say 9$ a plate at a soul food spot "too damn much" or a black woman would rather shop at an Asian owned beauty supply rather than black owned one because the hair 2$ dollars cheaper. Stop marginalizing your community cause the black community is the ONLY community that will accept ya ass. The black mentality is that of a dog; you can beat us down everyday, verbally abuse us everyday but we always forgive. That ? need to stop. I learned along time ago to stop having pity for these tap dancing Negroes who ? on they ppl that support em. But you gotta understand, that the media portray the base fan as white. Once black people stop being afraid of NOT BEING ACCEPTED then we'll be on our way to building a better community. Black women getting implants cause they wanna be accepted, black young boys selling drugs to the hood but lay his head in the burbs, everybody wanna be a rapper cause that's what's deemed to be "cool." Having a bookbag full of books rather than dope mean you ? ......FOH. Love yourself homie and love what you got and I PROMISE at the end of the day youll appreciate yourself more. We got a lot of work to do and honestly I don't see a change happening in my lifetime because white ppl pump negativity in the hoods everyday and the generation of youth today is not prepared.

Amen
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I also think the reason a lot of these black celbs say the things they say is simply because they aren't in the thick of things anymore. I mean they can't relate because the people they usually are dealing with after they hit a certain tax bracket isn't the same people they are used to dealing with. They think ? is sweet because these things aren't happening to them anymore.

I don't think these guys are meaning to come off the way they are but they are disconnected from the struggle and the everyday ? many of us have to go through. Some of them of course have been sold out but I believe a bit of them are just misguided and in need of a wake up call
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You never heard of Jews?
    You never heard of Arabs?

Collective consciousness is a huge part of identity politics.

False. Those cultures allow different thoughts and ideologies. There are conservatives and liberal countries/groups amongst those groups.

And there aren't any ideological diversity for Blacks? Stop.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah #4 is why Black people praise Oprah like Jesus. They swear up and down she is an authority on everything just because she has a ? load of money.

Sad but true. They treat her like a mainstream rapper. I remember watching a clip of Paul Mooney on Youtube and he joked about Oprah being a house ? for Barbara Walters.

And one of the first comments on youtube was, "HE MAD CUZ OPRAH A BILLIONAIRE!"

Just like people in the reason think nobody can JayZ because of his money. JayZ is my favorite rapper but it damn sure aint because he worth half a billi.
  • Ilike2get baked
    Ilike2get baked Members Posts: 879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree with the responses in here...the only reason the media ? with black celebrities i.e. Oprah is because of their money. The media along with other outsiders believe that more money equals more intelligence and understanding when the fact of the matter is that these black celebrities lost touch with what's really going on a long time ago. A ? with money is still a ? ....he or she just has more access to ? that the average person doesn't
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Comparing Stephen A. Smith and Jay Z to Steve ? Harvey is ? . Harvey is a ? by choice, not businessman restrained by obligation.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    The current situation means her money and wealth came from a racist environment and which they still dictate by laws and regulations. The true wealthiest black women were queens who ruled by their own right and had no person dictating how they live and breathe.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    When you don't have a ? to ? in,it's very easy to sit back demand what others should do with their time & money.

But I'll wager that if the good doctor and many posters here,had the financial wealth of these "celebs" their are scrutinizing

they'll see for themselves that the issues plaguing the black community goes much deeper they thought
    and writing a check.....throwing money at these issues will not alleviate much of the problems

You build community learning centers,recreation centers,start scholarships programs etc.

And the "the hood is still the hood"

So what the ? more do you want???
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Comparing Stephen A. Smith and Jay Z to Steve ? Harvey is ? . Harvey is a ? by choice, not businessman restrained by obligation.
    Business man restrained by obligation? Lmao. Thats basically a excuse for corporate cooning. Jayz & Stephen A ain't "restrained" by ? . Stephen A goes OUT HIS WAY to ? on his ppl, jus like Jayz does. Coonin is coonin