T.I. Defends Young Thug's Gibberish Delivery

Options
sr_the_freshman
sr_the_freshman Members Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in The Reason
On the front page of allhiphop today.

(AllHipHop News) T.I.’s single “About The Money” is on pace to become another Top 40 hit for the Atlanta rapper. The song’s chart success is due in part to Young Thug tackling the hook. While the Paperwork cut has crossed over on radio, some listeners were critical of the fact that it is hard for them to understand what Thug was actually saying at times on the record. Some have even dubbed the young star’s style as “Mumble Rap.”

During a CRWN interview with Elliot Wilson, Tip addressed the fact that fans complain about not being able to comprehend his collaborator on tracks. The self-ordained “King of the South” defended Thugger by comparing him to 1990’s Hip Hop legends and one of the greatest entertainers of all time.

“In his defense, let me ask you – Did you understand everything ODB was saying?” asked Tip. Responding to someone in the crowd the Hustle Gang leader added, “You did? Y’all from Brooklyn. Did you understand everything Bone Thugs-N-Harmony was saying? Did your momma and daddy understand everything James Brown was saying? Your momma and daddy didn’t understand what James Brown was saying. They just liked it.”

iymn3a.jpg

Tip goes on to reveal that he first became aware of Young Thug because as a teenager Thug was close to his younger cousins in Atlanta. When T.I. found out the now 22-year-old took on rapping, he was eager to support his career, but it wasn’t until Thugger released songs like “Stoner” and “Danny Glover” that he was willing to get in the studio with the rising performer.

Comments

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T.I. caping too much.

Turning hip hop police on us
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    I can't ? stand T.I anymore he's turned into such a sucker
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He has a point.
  • sr_the_freshman
    edited November 2014
    Options

Agreed. That said his statement is valid. The problem isn't so much that you can't understand Young Thug. Like TI pointed out, lots of people didn't understand everything Bone were saying. That said, people did put effort into finding out what they were saying and found that Bone were spitting some real ? . Can you say the same thing about Young Thug? If I go and try to figure out what he's saying will I find worthwhile lyrics or will they be meaningless mush like his delivery.

I don't think he has a valid point at all, and a lot of it has to do with the bolded you mentioned. Also, to add:

1. I've never heard of anyone say they had an issue understanding ODB. Even if they did, at the very least ? in NY could understand him. I don't even think southern ? get Thug.

2. That ? ass Stoner song road that Nae Nae dance wave. It was barely club worthy.

3. Between this and his contributions to propping Iggy Azaelia up, Tip is tarnishing his legacy.

4. This is why KRITT can say he's King of the South.

5. Wtf @ Mumble Rap? Seriously?

Edit: 6. TIP leaving out the most pressing complaint. That Young Thug is either a blatant troll, or flaming ? .
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T.I. has a valid point. Young Thug is definitely not the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 100th artist who was difficult to understand. Hell....nobody was saying ? about Michael Jackson and some of that incoherent ? he used to say.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Agreed. That said his statement is valid. The problem isn't so much that you can't understand Young Thug. Like TI pointed out, lots of people didn't understand everything Bone were saying. That said, people did put effort into finding out what they were saying and found that Bone were spitting some real ? . Can you say the same thing about Young Thug? If I go and try to figure out what he's saying will I find worthwhile lyrics or will they be meaningless mush like his delivery.

I don't think he has a valid point at all, and a lot of it has to do with the bolded you mentioned. Also, to add:

1. I've never heard of anyone say they had an issue understanding ODB. Even if they did, at the very least ? in NY could understand him. I don't even think southern ? get Thug.

2. That ? ass Stoner song road that Nae Nae dance wave. It was barely club worthy.

3. Between this and his contributions to propping Iggy Azaelia up, Tip is tarnishing his legacy.

4. This is why KRITT can say he's King of the South.

5. Wtf @ Mumble Rap? Seriously?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Young Thug isn't wack. I'm saying that TI's defense of the complaint by some that they can't understand Young Thug is valid. There are lots of good rappers that most people can't understand without some effort. Whether he is one of those or not depends on what he's saying.
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mumble rap is the perfect word for him and that whiny rap.
    That's one reason I don't listen to him. I tried a few songs. He not dope enough for me to actually go and look to see what he is saying.
    Also, that hubby ? is unforgivable. I wish a ? would call me hubby. I'm knocking him the ? out.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hmmmm....
    can't really front
    he does make a valid point

ODB and James "won" him this round
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only thing I will point out to Tip is those legends wasn't intentional....or were they?
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    THIS CLOWN IS ALWAYS DEFENDING PEOPLE.
  • sr_the_freshman
    Options
    Mally_G wrote: »
    ? are settling for ? these days. Listeners are allowing the bar to be set so low, anyone can get up and say anything as long as it's on a hot track. If that was the case, stop praising the "rapper" and show more love for the producer, because he's the reason why you're listening to the song in the first place, the ? lyrics are secondary.

I've been saying this ? for years my ? .
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I agree with what he said but I dont get why he would even bother saying it. Its working thats what matters. Maybe the dynamics of the interview. It seems the people "complaining" are the most obsessed. Im more of a casual listener dude makes good music and thats it to me. Thats as far as it goes. I would think Ti knows better. Why defend a winning formula? for real take out the emotion.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    T.I. caping too much.

Turning hip hop police on us

Dude has a track record of questionable behavior. He defended Trinidad James, he defended Iggy, and now this. Smh
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Young thug one of the best out
  • The Nuisance
    The Nuisance Members Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Tip point is valid. I asked my mother what was James Brown saying on a record and she gave me the same answer about Michael Jackson, idk he was mumbling right there!

Young Thug isn't on Bone, JB or MJ level so there's where people don't respect the comparison, but they all were hard to understand
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thugger Thugger go hard.