People don't know what racism is.

Options

Comments

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What bugs me is that ppl think it's about being liked...
    Racism is a problem because of the negative effect it has on life chances...
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Whats ? up with everything being made out to be racist is the fact that when something truly racist happens people now brush it off and feel like this is being blown out of proportion.

People are now feeling like anything racist is basically the boy crying wolf. By calling everything racist and always claiming someone is pulling the so called "race card" they are desensitizing the masses(mainly whites and other races) to true racism. Which allows them more leeway in ignoring the ? which is more ? up because they really never cared in the first place.

And the distinction between this lesser form of racism and "true racism" is...?

Their ain't levels to this ? IMO. Racism is racism is racism. ? is wrong thats it.

Now for the true racsim comment, somethings are people practicing racism others are people just being bigots. Calling everything a bigot does and says racism is a problem because there is a difference.

There is a difference
    but both can be shown to have real world consequences that can lead to the unequal treatment of racialized groups

My point was that there is a difference and with people not knowing about and/ or acknowledging that difference causes major problems when in fact there is racism at play.

I never denied the bold.

You seem to be against stigmatizing both the actions that result due to racism, prejudice and bigotry and the ideologies, claims, beliefs and values that promote and spread them. I agree they are not equivalent but they both still involve arbitrary racial categorization and can impede the efforts to establish more egalitarian social structures and practices.
    I see it all as racism, and it's either detrimental, ineffectual or beneficial. Ineffectual or near ineffectual racism is of little concern outside of the fact that it has the potential to lead to more detrimental forms. Beneficial racism is seemingly a matter of perspective: Consider a racial group that is considered more attractive, commands greater sexual capital and can turn this into financial capital. While this preference can be seen as beneficial to that group, inherent in it is a devaluation of other groups relative to it, which is detrimental to them. This is why it seems a bit hasty to claim less overt forms of racial classification are not at all racist when the attribution of values in accordance to subjective views of racial classification can be effectual and even lead to more visible kinds

If we say that saying all Asians are bad drivers is not racist, then saying Black women are ugly is also not racist. But when this can affect their sexual and social capital, which in turn hinder their ability to develop relationships in various spheres of life and accumulate financial capital, and at its root is racial classification it seems part and parcel of the same undesirable process.

You can't say the bold cause that was never my point. That is a point you are making and like I said earlier I never denied that. That just wasn't the point I was making.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whats ? up with everything being made out to be racist is the fact that when something truly racist happens people now brush it off and feel like this is being blown out of proportion.

People are now feeling like anything racist is basically the boy crying wolf. By calling everything racist and always claiming someone is pulling the so called "race card" they are desensitizing the masses(mainly whites and other races) to true racism. Which allows them more leeway in ignoring the ? which is more ? up because they really never cared in the first place.

Their ain't levels to this ? IMO. Racism is racism is racism. ? is wrong thats it.

Now for the true racsim comment, somethings are people practicing racism others are people just being bigots. Calling everything a bigot does and says racism is a problem because there is a difference.

There is a difference
    but both can be shown to have real world consequences that can lead to the unequal treatment of racialized groups

My point was that there is a difference and with people not knowing about and/ or acknowledging that difference causes major problems when in fact there is racism at play.

I never denied the bold.

You seem to be against stigmatizing both the actions that result due to racism, prejudice and bigotry and the ideologies, claims, beliefs and values that promote and spread them. I agree they are not equivalent but they both still involve arbitrary racial categorization and can impede the efforts to establish more egalitarian social structures and practices.
    I see it all as racism, and it's either detrimental, ineffectual or beneficial. Ineffectual or near ineffectual racism is of little concern outside of the fact that it has the potential to lead to more detrimental forms. Beneficial racism is seemingly a matter of perspective: Consider a racial group that is considered more attractive, commands greater sexual capital and can turn this into financial capital. While this preference can be seen as beneficial to that group, inherent in it is a devaluation of other groups relative to it, which is detrimental to them. This is why it seems a bit hasty to claim less overt forms of racial classification are not at all racist when the attribution of values in accordance to subjective views of racial classification can be effectual and even lead to more visible kinds

If we say that saying all Asians are bad drivers is not racist, then saying Black women are ugly is also not racist. But when this can affect their sexual and social capital, which in turn hinder their ability to develop relationships in various spheres of life and accumulate financial capital, and at its root is racial classification it seems part and parcel of the same undesirable process.

You can't say the bold cause that was never my point. That is a point you are making and like I said earlier I never denied that. That just wasn't the point I was making.

So then what was the point of emphasizing the discrepancy between racist belief and "true racism", and "more ? up" consequences?
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Al Sharpton is a charlatan. So is all those black leaders. ? those victimizers
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    What has Al Sharptin done that is so egregious?
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »
    Al Sharpton is a charlatan. So is all those black leaders. ? those victimizers

Hmmmmmm.....

Interesting you immediately attacked Sharpton but NOT Sterling who HAS used his power and influence to showcase his disdain and contempt for black people...........
  • D. Morgan
    Options

There is a difference

I never denied the bold.

So then what was the point of emphasizing the discrepancy between racist belief and "true racism", and "more ? up" consequences?

The point was there is a difference and that was it. You want to take that point further then go right ahead. But just because I did not take it further you can not say what I am against because you do not know that.
  • LUClEN
    Options

There is a difference

I never denied the bold.

The point was there is a difference and that was it. You want to take that point further then go right ahead. But just because I did not take it further you can not say what I am against because you do not know that.

I technically did not say that you are
    I said it seems you are, which was my interpretation based on you pointing out the difference and how you portrayed the consequences of typifying anything involving race as racist
  • D. Morgan
    Options

There is a difference

I never denied the bold.

I technically did not say that you are
    I said it seems you are, which was my interpretation based on you pointing out the difference and how you portrayed the consequences of typifying anything involving race as racist

My point still stands cause where you are taking a point I made was not my intention. I never denied or disagreed with where you futher took my point.
  • ohhhla
    Options
    I was actually defending Sterling. He wasn't slaving black folks or whipping them. He just had his own opinion on them and he said this in the privacy of his home. Just like how black folks in the media can get away with jokes and it's funny towards white folks?

Most of the whites have power through hard work. I'm not a SJW so forgive me for not getting mad at Donald Sterling and Officer Wilson ok.

I find Blacks the most racist to be honest.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    Lol...
    Nah Sterling was literally committing housing discrimination as well as mistreating black executives...
    Smh
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    I was actually defending Sterling. He wasn't slaving black folks or whipping them. He just had his own opinion on them and he said this in the privacy of his home. Just like how black folks in the media can get away with jokes and it's funny towards white folks?

Most of the whites have power through hard work. I'm not a SJW so forgive me for not getting mad at Donald Sterling and Officer Wilson ok.

This ? right here I can not believe you actually typed.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    He trolling...
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not sure if he is trolling here or just a complete idiot

Either way for him to just casually sweep aside Sterling DECADES of bigotry & discrimination against countless minorities, literally destroying their family structure
    disproves his own statement that ""white supremacy is a myth""

Because with all that,somehow Al Sharpton is the bigger miscreant and immoralist

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In regards to regular observation, they think the mention of race, calling upon someone unknown to you by a racial identifier is "racist"

For instance if you say something as mundane as oh its the black dude over there..

Alot of people dont know the difference of stereotypes and racist comments.

some stereotypical comments can be racist if they are rooted in racism obviously

But saying Asians are bad drivers isnt a racist comment

Just as saying someone looks Mexican

What makes comments racist is usually what the person says next.. when speaking of stereotypes

Everyone does this but I see this in white people especially in innocuous comments.. they'll say well that was racist with a little amused chuckle. That ? right there is just as bad because although its not racist.. they take it as a joke thinking what was said was racist

Why isn't the bolded racist?

Because their is no racial atttachment to saying they are bad drivers its a stereotypical conclusion not rooted in racism unless you say some ? like because of their slanted eyes or some dumb ? like that now if you say All asian women are ? thats racist because the connotation is venomous and rooted in a RACIST stereotype instead of a generalized assumption like all asians are good at math.

Thats just how I see it... its the words after that stereotypical comment that make something racist in most cases..

Just my own view and how I always seen it

Surprised people responded

• LUClEN
    Options
  • ohhhla
    Options

This ? right here I can not believe you actually typed.

So, tell me? How did whites get into position of power? I mean did they just sit on their ass because they're white and it was granted to them? Because the men that are most homeless are............ *Drum Rolls* Are white.

White men are the most powerful and the same time the poorest men. Whites are the ones creating stuff for you to use so you can rant on and on about white supremacy and all. LOL, this is funny to me but hey we live in a liberal western utopia. Where White Men are the baddies and Black Men are that underdog who are being chained by institutional racism. When the truth in the matter is black folks in the America just suck.
  • playmaker88
    Options
    You are an idiot.

• ohhhla
    Options
    Yes, I am. There is still institutional racism and whitey holding me down.
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    I refuse to give that post a response because ? like that is just ? sad!
  • playmaker88
    Options
    I refuse to give that post a response because ? like that is just ? sad!

CS just better off ignoring him matter of fact i dont think hes said anything worth reading since hes been here.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In regards to regular observation, they think the mention of race, calling upon someone unknown to you by a racial identifier is "racist"

For instance if you say something as mundane as oh its the black dude over there..

some stereotypical comments can be racist if they are rooted in racism obviously

What makes comments racist is usually what the person says next.. when speaking of stereotypes

Everyone does this but I see this in white people especially in innocuous comments.. they'll say well that was racist with a little amused chuckle. That ? right there is just as bad because although its not racist.. they take it as a joke thinking what was said was racist

Why isn't the bolded racist?

It's is. Let's move on.
  • playmaker88
    Options
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Its not.

Explain plz
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options

This may not be the universally accepted or traditional definition but I think of 'racism' as discrimination (on the basis of race) that's rooted in (racial) prejudice. Prejudice doesn't necessarily imply actual discrimination. Generalizations aren't necessarily rooted in prejudice or malice but some assumptions are the result of a preexisting bias. Black people, on average, have lower IQs than non-Jewish whites who have, on average, lower IQs than East Asians. It's not necessarily 'racist' (prejudiced) to believe this because it's supported by hard evidence. It could be true that East Asians are generally worse drivers than whites but it would still be racist to imply that there's an inherent connection between being East Asian and being a relatively bad driver. If there could be even one theoretical exception then it's a matter of correlation, not causation. Some Asians are good drivers and some whites are bad drivers. Whites are generally more intelligent than black people - that is a fact- but some black Africans (with no non-black ancestry) have genius level IQs and some Jewish people have below average IQs, so it's not inherent to ethnicity.