Kendrick Lamar says he's been battling depression His Whole life

Options
lookdude
lookdude Members Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in The Reason
Dot spoke on dealing with depression throughout his life, and that he hopes "i" will help younger generations cope with the same feelings. "A lot of things you try and balance, you know your personal life with the music and what you do," he said. "You know it comes a lot of turmoil when you talking about money, when you talking about fame, fortune, and success, a lot of things you got to handle and balance, and that brings a whole lot of depression."

http://youtu.be/7mi8kzMwUlU

Comments

• qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah that should've ended when he went platinum and was accused of bumping big ? badu instead of getting on stage on time
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depression is no joke

Word to Robbin Williams.

Kendrick just needs to hit the studio and put everything on paper and put it in a rap.
    Dont do no dumb ? like taking your own life that's a cowards way out.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    Depression is no joke

Word to Robbin Williams.

Kendrick just needs to hit the studio and put everything on paper and put it in a rap.

Who are you to say it's a cowards way out? You have no idea what despair people who ? themselves are going through. Is Ab-Soul's ex a coward for taking her life?
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great interview....
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lethal5 wrote: »
    Depression is no joke

Word to Robbin Williams.

Who are you to say it's a cowards way out? You have no idea what despair people who ? themselves are going through. Is Ab-Soul's ex a coward for taking her life?

I was waiting for someone to say that, it never fails, someone always makes the "coward" or the "just suck it up" comment.

Cause they dont understand it a heavy mental illness, its like your brain is against u saying "there's no hope"

And if u dont understand, im actually happy for cause that means u havent been there, which I wouldnt wish on no one.

...and I havent listened to the interview yet.

I've had moments in my life where there hasnt been any hope. I've had moments in my life were I was in a financial hole stressing out but I didn't blow my brains out because there isnt any hope.

You gotta be able to overcome all those situations in your life. And if you can't dont think killing yourself will solve it.
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depression is no joke

Word to Robbin Williams.

I was waiting for someone to say that, it never fails, someone always makes the "coward" or the "just suck it up" comment.

Cause they dont understand it a heavy mental illness, its like your brain is against u saying "there's no hope"

And if u dont understand, im actually happy for cause that means u havent been there, which I wouldnt wish on no one.

I've had moments in my life where there hasnt been any hope. I've had moments in my life were I was in a financial hole stressing out but I didn't blow my brains out because there isnt any hope.

You gotta be able to overcome all those situations in your life. And if you can't dont think killing yourself will solve it.

Not the same thing, I think u missed what I was trying to say....but maybe thats my fault, I didn't articulate it correctly.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Word to Joe Budden and Em
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Word to Joe Budden and Em

& Tupac
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I could tell by listening to ADHD
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depression is no joke

Word to Robbin Williams.

You see to me thats not a true example of depression to me, thats more like being knocked down and having to get back up...dont get me wrong, that sucks bad, but thats not necessarily an example of true mental illness type depression.

An example would be that you DO have money, or ? or whatever should make u happy, but u still feel like ? & devoid of real happiness.
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? is so common these days. I too battle it like many here also. Crazy ? emotions at times.

Easy to tell people not to end it, life, but when they're in that frame of mind and hit the low of all lows in their mind, I don't think they are fully in control or themselves when they take that turn for the worse.

Crazy ? instance, was a guy who was with a girl I worked with, seemed fine. I would get invited over to drink and HIS GIRL was actually battling depression. One day they argued on the phone, she came home and dude hung himself in the hallway dying. I often wondered if anything was up with him, as he used to slightly ridicule his girl for always speaking on her own emotions of despair and make out it was all ? , depression. Then dude goes and does that.
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depression is no joke

Word to Robbin Williams.

Yeah she's a coward
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are weak and there are strong. Being depressed doesn't make you weak. Knowing you are depressed and doing nothing about it because you like feelimg sorry for yourself makes you weak.

There are plenty of ways to fight depression. You have to hate being depressed though.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    hope he gets through it
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's good he is saying something about it publicly but I was under the impression that everybody in the world, particularly in the US suffered from depression from time to time. Suicidal thoughts are natural, so is being paralyzed by disappointment and fear but not moving on is unnatural along with ending your own life.

Some people dont have the luxury of calling it a disease, but that doesnt make it any different. Life sucks, so what... You're not special for being depressed and you dont need medication. Aspergers is a ? disease that they use to label anti-social people

I've dealt with depression all my life, but I dont expect any sympathy points for it
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn Kemdrick brought out a therapy seminar with this interview. I can't relate because I've been depressed in mood. Not depressed by the mental illness definition. You can tell by his demeanor that he has some attributes of depression and it's a great thing that in Hip-Hop, where everyone seems to think they're invincible, exists.