"Damn I never came around to listen to that album..." Do it now!

Options
Nah Son
Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in The Reason
You know how theres always that one album thats supposed to be dope or even classic but you never checked it out for whatever reason

Or a rapper you like drops an album and you be like "ah ? it I'll download it tomorrow" and then you forget about it

Well now is the time to go back and revisit those albums. Buy or d/l or Spotify the joint and share your thoughts

We can use these criteria:

- What I expected
- What I got
- Personal rating from 0 to 10

And dont be afraid to acknowledge that you never heard an album that many people consider classic, we dont judge in here

I'm starting with Little Brother - The Minstrel Show...I been hearing folks calling it a classic but I still haven't listened to it. Be back when I'm done.

Comments

• The Furley Ghost
    The Furley Ghost Members Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol at we don't judge..... but I'm gonna try the debut from lupe never got into dudes so I'm gonna give this album a try
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The_Man wrote: »
    Gonna give public enemy - it takes a nation of millions to hold us back a spin, see what all the fuss is about.

I played it for first time a few months ago
    Its dope as ?
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I want to give Carter II a fresh listen in my 30s. Carter II was too complex for me at the time of its release. Wayne was in a zone on that album like every word he spit was perfect. Every track seemed like it had million bars and Wayne was breezing through flows effortlessly. Carter II beats out Stillmatic, Relapse and 2000 BC for pound for pound most lyrical album last decade.
  • The Furley Ghost
    The Furley Ghost Members Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Options
    1. I was expecting some dictionary rhymes over some dark dingy beats.

2. Some nice wordplay and array of different flows over crisp production (although not my type of sound)

3. 7/10
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    I want to give Carter II a fresh listen in my 30s. Carter II was too complex for me at the time of its release. Wayne was in a zone on that album like every word he spit was perfect. Every track seemed like it had million bars and Wayne was breezing through flows effortlessly. Carter II beats out Stillmatic, Relapse and 2000 BC for pound for pound most lyrical album last decade.

Lol wayne being more lyrical than nas imagine that.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe I'll try paid in full
    Or outkast 2nd I don't think I heard it in full
  • YoungChamp
    YoungChamp Members Posts: 298 ✭✭
    Options
    Dawg ATLiens is their best album
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got halfway in then got distracted, chuck d had skills but was lacking lyrically, The black power message is also strong which must be the reason it is praised so much, me being white I guess I just can't relate, the song from tony hawk 2 brought back memories.
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2Pacalypse Now

Ive heard half the tracks but never sat down start to finish
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    Same with Big Puns album
  • hnic1978
    hnic1978 Members Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    YoungChamp wrote: »
    As a little brother fan the minstrel show is dope I still play it from time to time. Phonte is ultimately the most underrated MC of the south

Minstrel show is a classic.....for those who havent heard it.....please do
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good Kid M.a.a.d City.
  • Nah Son
    Options
    It would be better if we do this via images.
    UqMpqQO.jpg

Lmaooo damn
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    It would be better if we do this via images.
    UqMpqQO.jpg

Funny pic but em is only on 2tracks compared to snoop on 4 plus a skit, so doesn't hold up. I could see you saying that for dre's career after 2001 but not that album.

? is a classic
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This isn't one I never heard but I think I only heard it once a long time ago. I was on iTunes because I wanted one song off it but the whole album was only 7 bucks so I copped it.

follow-the-leader-507361a3aa60c.jpg

Album is dope as ? . I like it better than Paid In Full.

@n.mcfly I vote Follow The Leader. Although that outkast album is mandatory listening also
  • freethewave
    freethewave Members Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Nah Son
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The Minstrel Show

From what I had heard I expected a dope underground type of album and I wasnt disappointed.

Very good album, above average lyrics and interesting content. Pooh and Phonte are nice, although I must say Phonte is outshining him on most of the tracks. Son got crazy flows and sounds like a mix between Mos Def and Prodigy, very dope rapper.

They got good chemistry though. The album kind of has that Mecca and the Soul Brother feel, mostly cause of the soulful beats, 9th wonder did his thing here. Overall I liked the album and I think I'll buy it. Only track I didnt ? with was that one singing joint without raps in the beginning I think its called Cheatin.

My rating: 7,5/10
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    n.mcfly wrote: »
    tompetrez3 wrote: »

Lol wayne being more lyrical than nas imagine that.

He held his own on my generation and the song with rich boy
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    n.mcfly wrote: »
    Maybe I'll try paid in full
    Or outkast 2nd I don't think I heard it in full

Bruh, if you've never heard ATLiens in full, u need to get on that ASAP!! I didn't take that out my discman for 3 months when it 1st dropped.

Arguably their best album!