Options

Comments

• scottsteiner
    scottsteiner Members Posts: 215 ✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Canibus
    CANIBUS WAS A MC AT ONE POINT,PUTTIN' PEEPLES IN DITCHES
    WHILE JA LOOKED LIKE A FAKE WANNABE 2PAC & IS FOR THE ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-ddYhXAZc

HOLLA IF YA HEAR ME

• O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sold units and filled dance floors= Nelly

Great mic skills= Melle Mel

So by your logic. Nelly>>>>Melle
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ja Rule
    I don't know how this thread derailed. It was a simple question. Who do you prefer? For some reason people started with the name calling and ad hominem attacks.

Cursing for no apparent reason.

I'm outta here.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But let me ask you a question, Dont be a ? and ignore it. Who is better raekwon or nelly?

Nah dont go no where just yet, Answer this question
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Ja Rule
    But let me ask you a question, Dont be a ? and ignore it. Who is better raekwon or nelly?

I'm not going to argue with an internet gangsta
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Canibus
    5 grand aren't you 40+ ? ? you worried about who makes better club hits for? I never seen you come up with such a foolish argument
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    edited November 2014
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

I'm not going to argue with an internet gangsta

smh yeah ok cause you know this answer kills that ? you were talking earlier
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Judging by the poll results ya'll never go out to clubs.

The IC prefers complex lyrics over catchy hooks and club banging beats.

Just an observation

Shady? That you fam?
  • rahrahrah
    rahrahrah Members Posts: 88 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Canibus
    Which is why this was a dumb comparison to begin with. Of course I don't go to the club to hear canibus break down the laws of metaphysics. I go to see ? and ass. I just prefer canibus

Hell, vanilla ice is and mc hammer is some of the best ? to get your groove on in the club. Dude is a complete maroon, not a ? , a maroon, he's out there stranded in no man's land. Ja Rule...Ja Rule..Ja Rule, this ? brought up Ja Rule. Ja Rule..
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ja made better songs.

Canibus was the better lyricist.
  • L3NU
    L3NU Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ja Rule
    damn im the only one who voted for ja??

yall got me feeling mad lonely out here.
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Canibus
    If Canibus had really put the energy into making radio songs, he could have....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ulqR1rMsKQ

I still say I Honor U is on par with Dear Mama (no blasphemy intended)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2H_7eGVyp0
  • rahrahrah
    Options
    Canibus
    The second song, "Pay me in Gold" is on repeat. No doubt, CANIBUS spends too much time in metaphysical half truths. But I would rather that extreme. "The tier one scientist main job it to tell you where you are, not where you come from"

http://youtu.be/vrOBIzxfCX4
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Ja Rule
    When Canibus was in his prime he used to body freestyles but his first album was a disappointment. Then he escalated his beef with LL and got blacklisted out of the industry.

Ja Rule, while never a great freestyle MC, was making hits and platinum selling albums. He had a string of successful albums, songs and club bangers. But in the end, his verses were never as goos as Canibus in his prime.

However, Canibus changed his style up. He uses a lot of long, scientific sounding words. Its obvious he just pulls them out of a dictionary without knowing what they mean. I'd be surprised if Caniibus has a college degree.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options

^^^^^
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Ja Rule

^^^^^

Check your inbox
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    edited November 2014
    Options

^^^^^

Check your inbox

ok, I got your PM ? and asking me to leave you alone lol It wasnt a hard question but whatever
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When Canibus was in his prime he used to body freestyles but his first album was a disappointment. Then he escalated his beef with LL and got blacklisted out of the industry.

Ja Rule, while never a great freestyle MC, was making hits and platinum selling albums. He had a string of successful albums, songs and club bangers. But in the end, his verses were never as goos as Canibus in his prime.

However, Canibus changed his style up. He uses a lot of long, scientific sounding words. Its obvious he just pulls them out of a dictionary without knowing what they mean. I'd be surprised if Caniibus has a college degree.

To answer your question, Canibus is a better rapper because of the obvious reasons, but also because he never made me hate listening to the radio like I did during the height of Ja's career... every song was a Ja featuring Ashanti, Ashanti featuring Ja, J. Lo featuring Ja, Mary J. featuring BLAHHH!! His voice was what DJ Mustard beats are now...

The better question is who got "Ja Ruled" worse? Canibus never had the success Ja had, but his buzz was bigger... then he got into it with a legend over a ? tatt leading to LL's epic 4,3,2,1 verse that slayed Biz on the song that was suppose to be his big break (arguably starting a tradition of rappers retconning their verses to go at rappers on the same track )... Obviously, he never recovered...
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Ja Rule
    BenjaminE wrote: »

To answer your question, Canibus is a better rapper because of the obvious reasons, but also because he never made me hate listening to the radio like I did during the height of Ja's career... every song was a Ja featuring Ashanti, Ashanti featuring Ja, J. Lo featuring Ja, Mary J. featuring BLAHHH!! His voice was what DJ Mustard beats are now...

The better question is who got "Ja Ruled" worse? Canibus never had the success Ja had, but his buzz was bigger... then he got into it with a legend over a ? tatt leading to LL's epic 4,3,2,1 verse that slayed Biz on the song that was suppose to be his big break (arguably starting a tradition of rappers retconning their verses to go at rappers on the same track )... Obviously, he never recovered...

Cosign your whole post. Ja Rule had the hits, Canibus had the freestyle verses. I guess its just a matter of what you prefer.

But I still maintain that Ja Rule has a handful of club classics which can't be said about Canibus.

In the grand scheme of things I'd take a career that includes 5-7 club bangers/radio hits over a career with 5-7 GOAT freestyles and posse jam appearances.

Also, Ja Rule's beats are waaaaay better than Canibus's production. Its not even close.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Canibus
    Canibus has more than 5-7 goat freestyle/posse jam appearances though, Ja Rule doesn't have 5-7 club hits, radio hits yea but not club hits
  • rahrahrah
    Options
    Canibus
    If the question is who had more professional success it is obviously Ja. Ja can still do big shows internationally and get paid as an MC, especially if he has Ashanti with him. If the question is who was better it is CANIBUS. The simple fact is people who grew up to be MCs had to take a CANIBUS course, you don't have to take a Ja Rule course in MC college. You have to take a Ja Rule course in music business college.
  • Dave2one6
    Dave2one6 Members Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Canibus
    Atleast compare canibus with a lyrical cat.

redman. royce. em. big L. kurupt. rass kass. chino xl. me.
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ja Rule
    Dame R.U.L.E gets no love on the IC.

Canibus was good but Ja was nice with it too.

P.S I'd take a Ja Rule love song over a Drake love song any day of the week.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Ja Rule
    Dave2one6 wrote: »
    Atleast compare canibus with a lyrical cat.

redman. royce. em. big L. kurupt. rass kass. chino xl. me.

I was intentionally comparing two rappers with completely different styles. It's more like which style of music do you prefer?

But yeah, you should make a poll with the rappers you just listed.
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Canibus

The bolded is.....
    tumblr_n9ij0ekQmc1setsv8o1_400.gif

Though what Canibus says in songs sounds otherworldly and out of place, you actually have to either pick up a dictionary or google the terms and phrases that he says and put into context why he's saying it in conjunction with the concept of the song. Everything he says makes sense, you just have to take the time to decipher the big words and understand their place in the rhyme.

I know it's too much to do to just listen to and understand a song, but that's what he does. His metaphors are far beyond the norm. It's to the point that some of his songs are not listenable, similar to Wu Slanguage/Editorial, Cobra Clutch. They leave you squinting, scratching your head, and going "WHAT the ? did he mean?"

A perfect example is this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1d4_FtONEc

So many references to science, conspiracies, theories, his own experiences, history, etc, all wrapped up in one metaphorical track, and if you research everything he says, it all makes sense.