Dave Chappelle: Donald Sterling Got Screwed Shouldn't Have Lost the Clippers

Options
MR.CJ
MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
Dave Chappelle is DEFENDING Donald Sterling ... claiming the disgraced former L.A. Clippers owner got screwed when his team was ripped away from him.

Chappelle opened up about the topic in an interview with GQ... saying, "Ultimately, I don’t think he should have lost his team."

"I don’t like the idea that someone could record a secret conversation and that a person could lose their assets from that, even though I think what he said was awful."

Of course, Sterling was banned from the NBA for life -- and Commissioner Adam Silver said he did everything in his power to force a sale of the team in the wake of Sterling's racist comments.

Sterling fought the sale ... but eventually, a judge allowed Donald's wife Shelly to unload the team to Steve Ballmer for $2 BILLION.

Chappelle's opinion lines up with Bill Maher -- who also defended Sterling's right to free speech back in May ... and took serious heat over it.

The big question ... why would someone as influential as Chappelle wait so long to go public with such a strong point of view? Kinda too little, too late.

Tune in next summer when he chimes in on Ray Rice.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/11/18/dave-chappelle-donadl-sterling-clippers-gq/

Comments

• CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah he isn't defending him, he just sees the bigger picture.

He had a standup bit about Sterling that was hilarious and true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63NwEBRaKyc
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Gonna have to no-cosign Dave.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    1of1 wrote: »
    No need to make statements about things like this. How many times do black ppl get screwed over and nobody speaks up about it? ? him he ain't hurtin and he's white.

Anyway it was about being a detriment to the league from a business perspective. It was going to hurt the league financially if he stayed put (sponsors, consumers). The NBA has a constitution. That "privacy" and"free speech" ? is not given a ? about when they can assume that league dollars are gonna be affected in a major way.

Right.It's wrong to shoot unarmed people,slavery was wrong,oppressing people who are tenants is wrong and how he treated his black employees are wrong.Owning a team is privilege and Sterling lost that privilege.He denied people their basic rights to rent property so ? him and his privacy.Another thing,there is no such thing as privacy when you are in the spot light.Ray Rice punching his wife was illegally sold and it costs him his career.That tape was not suppose to go to anyone but the cops and athletes get into trouble when private texts and conversations are leaked.
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It would have hurt him more if free agents stopped going there and the star players left when their contract was up,that would have dropped the value of the team
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dave's opinion is intellectual. It's a complex understanding of such things.

1. Donald is a racist maphuka
    2. Damn near 99 percent of the US population are racist
    3. We buy, fund, and get entertainment from these racist maphukas

Taking your assets on the account of secret taping can happen to anyone, no matter the subject matter. That is where the problem is and why Dave feels it wrongs. It can happen to anybody. If you open floodgates...

• Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruh, every white man in that damn NBA business is racist, including those who made up those rules.

White dudes made the Bill of Rights and the Constitution, so that means there isn't racism still thriving strong today?
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ghostdog56 wrote: »
    It would have hurt him more if free agents stopped going there and the star players left when their contract was up,that would have dropped the value of the team

and hurt the NBA, thus he was forced out.
    black celebs and intellectuals need to stop trying to appear objective and interested in "constitutionality".
    he was forced out for capitalist reasons that stem from players not wanting to play for the team. cutthebullshit.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think Dave's defending Sterling, rather I think he's defending privacy and freedom of speech.

true

but was most people dont understand is that Sterling belongs to a club (the nba) and if they deem anything you do as harmful to the success/income of that club they reserve the right to vote you out

having said that if the police secretly video tapes you planning to commit a crime you can be arrested...he was being recorded by another private citizen not a group or company or the government..fair game
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's right. It's setting up people getting wire-tapped and blackmailed as the new thing. People will be fine with that til it's someone you're a fan of deadh.gif
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »
    He's right. It's setting up people getting wire-tapped and blackmailed as the new thing. People will be fine with that til it's someone you're a fan of deadh.gif

When has that not been part of the game tho? This isn't new. He's just the first in his specific position to get caught assed out.
  • Copper
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »

its been done since the tech was invented

Government was tapping MLK and Ali
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate that the convo is framed as if ? has been fair and this ? it all up for everyone...lol
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gorilla wrote: »
    Once again another black celeb steps up and defends a racist white man.

Look we all know it's a whole lot more racist crackas who we may not know are racist crackas. My problem is this, had sterling been saying some ? against ? , or how he be slappin the ? outta ? , no celeb in their right ? mind woulda even THOUGHT of trying to say anything remotely sounding to something in his defense

but since it was about blacks, people wanna defend "freedom of speech"

We stay losin

YOu're right. But objectively speaking. Had somebody said something about whoever I would still maintain that he shouldn't lose the team. HOWEVER, any major star who played for him should be ashamed of their self.

he'd have eventually left on his own if players forced him out (which they may have done indirectly anyway). But for somebody to say, "you said something I didnt like so you have to sell something you purchased legally" is ? up and Unamerican to me.

That said...you're right if it was any other group we're not even having this discussion. Hiw ouster would be a foregone conclusion.
  • Copper
    Options
    sterling can talk about his hate and discrimination for blacks all day but lets stop blacks from saying ?