NYPD Pigs are @ it again.. A Pig/Officer Fatally Shoots Unarmed Brooklyn Man...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
nytimes.com/2014/11/22/nyregion/new-york-police-officer-fatally-shoots-brooklyn-man.html?_r=0
New York Police Officer Fatally Shoots Brooklyn Man

A New York City police officer shot and killed a 28-year-old man in Brooklyn late Thursday night, according to the police.

The victim was not immediately identified, and it was unclear what provoked the shooting.

The officer and his partner were patrolling the Louis H. Pink Houses in East New York when they encountered the man on the eighth floor of a dimly lit stairwell shortly before midnight, according to the police. The man was not armed, according to witnesses. He had just entered the stairwell with his girlfriend when he was confronted by the officers, according to the girlfriend’s sister.

“One officer discharged one round from his service weapon, striking the male in the chest,” according to a statement from the police. The police did not release the name of the officer who fired the shot.

The man was taken to Brookdale Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Janice Butler, whose sister was with the victim at the time of the shooting, said that the victim had been in an apartment on the eight floor getting his hair braided for several hours Thursday night.

The victim did not live in the building and left the apartment with his girlfriend, shortly after 11 p.m. The two initially went to the elevator but it was taking too long so they decided to take the stairs.

The girlfriend entered the stairwell first and heard a door open nearby. The next sound she heard was a shot echoing through the stairwell. Then she saw her boyfriend, shot in the chest, staggering down two flights of stairs. She ran for help, Ms. Butler said, while her boyfriend lay dying.

Ms. Butler said that, according to her sister, the police did not identify themselves, or give any commands.

“The cop didn’t present himself, he just shot him in the chest,” Ms. Butler said.

She added, “They didn’t say anything.”

Ms. Butler, whose cheeks were streaked with tears, said her sister was in the building and grieving and was unable to speak to reporters.

Police Commissioner William J. Bratton is expected to provide more details about the shooting at an 11:30 a.m. news conference.

The department is still dealing with the fallout over the death of Eric Garner, who died after a confrontation with the police on Staten Island in July.

Mr. Garner, who was unarmed and being arrested for illegally selling cigarettes on a street corner, died after being placed in a chokehold by a police officer trying to wrestle him to the ground.

A grand jury on Staten Island is deciding whether or not charges should be brought against any of the officers involved.

But the episode raised questions about the use of force by the police and led the commissioner to call for sweeping reforms.

Charles Barron, a former New York City councilman, arrived at the building Friday morning to speak with residents, and said that it was his understanding that the man was unarmed.

“People are outraged, this is happening all over the country, people have no respect for black life,” he said.

SMDH...

Comments

• freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HOld the ? up!, Am i to understand they just approached the ? and shot him?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man it us like a poluce state over here man. The NYPD pigs are out of c poo byro
  • PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wtf lol damn mobile i meant it is like a police state over here. The NYPD pigs are out of control. There is everywhere here. The biggest problem is that NYC politicians are so paranoid about the city go back to bad old days of the 70,80s and early 90s that they accept heavy hand police tactics. This mentality is not good cuz crime is already low why are we still implementing Giuliani tactics from the 90s? This is fear is what allows the cops here do whatever they want and get cover from the justice system. I love my city but the cops need a new mentality.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if I hear one more he reached for my weapon story. That excuse is officially over
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nypd is the worst
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The NYPD is cooking up a ? story as we speak...
    The simple fact they didnt have an Explanation, at the moment , to what happened shows no Otherwise.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    New Yorkers been needed to take it to the streets. Shut the city down and force them to deal with this.
  • tjohunkin
    tjohunkin Members Posts: 170
    Options
    East Coast lost again?
    but seriously, as black men we need to start doing something.
    Might as well die fighting instead of doing nothing
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? all those mother ? pigs
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    new york ? needa stop being so tolerant man..y'all got it worse than any of us when it come to police and that marching ? y'all do ain't working
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The victim did not live in the building and left the apartment with his girlfriend, shortly after 11 p.m. The two initially went to the elevator but it was taking too long so they decided to take the stairs.
    choices.. decisions..

this one sealed that young brothers fate

had he taken the elevator he wouldnt've been murdered by racist pigs.. smh
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/nypd-officer-guns-man-28-brooklyn-housing-project-article-1.2018724
    'Nervous' rookie NYPD officer fatally shoots unarmed 28-year-old man in Brooklyn's Pink Houses project

A “nervous” rookie cop fatally shot an unarmed man without a word of warning in the stairwell of a Brooklyn housing project late Thursday, a police source said.

The victim’s helpless girlfriend recounted Friday how she was left to watch Akai Gurley die after the single gunshot tore into his chest without so much as a word of warning.

Officer Peter Liang, who fired the fatal shot, “heard a noise,” a police source told the Daily News. “It was dark. He must have been nervous.”

Gurley, 28, had just entered the stairwell near his steady sweetheart’s seventh floor apartment at about 11:15 p.m. when Liang fatally shot him in the chest, said the source and the girlfriend.

“I shot him accidentally,” Liang told colleagues afterward. His partner partner never fired his gun, the source said.

Devastated gal pal Melissa Butler, with tears pouring down her face Friday morning, said the officer coming downstairs from the eighth floor blasted Gurley without explanation.

The only sound was the deafening echo of the gunshot in the stairwell at the Pink Houses.

“They didn’t identify themselves,” said Butler, 27, who began dating Gurley in January 2011. “No nothing. They didn’t give no explanation. They just pulled a gun and shot him in the chest.”

The terrified couple ran down to the fifth floor before Gurley collapsed in a pool of blood. Butler, who was standing alongside her boyfriend when he was hit, recalled their frantic final moments together as she begged Gurley to keep fighting.

“Yo, you OK? Talk to me!” she recalled shouting. “He wasn’t saying nothing. That was the last thing I said to him.”

Butler said the officers never came down to check on the mortally wounded man, and medical help was only sent after she banged on a neighbor’s door for help.

“She opened the door and said, ‘Yo, is somebody hurt?’” recounted Butler, holding a damp washcloth over her red and swollen eyes. “I said, ‘Yeah, my boyfriend.’”

Gurley died at Brookdale University Hospital shortly after his arrival by ambulance, police said.

Local politician Charles Barron condemned the shooting as an outrage.

“They didn’t find a gun,” said the state assemblyman-elect. “And believe me, if he had anything, if he had a slingshot, they would have put that in the report. This is incredible.

“I want to hear the justification for this one.”

Just a short time earlier, Butler had braided her boyfriend’s hair inside her apartment. She said the slain man lived with his 2-year-old daughter in Red Hook, and was just about to start working for the city.

The NYPD, in a press release, said the two uniformed officers were on a vertical patrol in the building when they came down the stairs at about 11:15 p.m.

One of the officers fired a single shot, but further information was not provided. It unclear why the officer fired, and a police source said Gurley was not armed.

The NYPD press release described the stairwell as “dimly lit.”

Police Commissioner Bill Bratton was expected to brief the media about the shooting at an 11:30 p.m. press conference at police headquarters in Manhattan.

Both officers were taken to Jamaica Hospital for treatment of tinnitus.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so i google and apparently the cop was a rookie and shot "by accident"
    A “nervous” rookie cop fatally shot an unarmed man without a word of warning in the stairwell of a Brooklyn housing project late Thursday, a police source said.

The victim’s helpless girlfriend recounted Friday how she was left to watch Akai Gurley die after the single gunshot tore into his chest without so much as a word of warning.

Officer Peter Liang, who fired the fatal shot, “heard a noise,” a police source told the Daily News. “It was dark. He must have been nervous.”

Gurley, 28, had just entered the stairwell near his steady sweetheart’s seventh floor apartment at about 11:15 p.m. when Liang fatally shot him in the chest, said the source and the girlfriend.

“I shot him accidentally,” Liang told colleagues afterward. His partner partner never fired his gun, the source said.

Devastated gal pal Melissa Butler, with tears pouring down her face Friday morning, said the officer coming downstairs from the eighth floor blasted Gurley without explanation.

The only sound was the deafening echo of the gunshot in the stairwell at the Pink Houses.

“They didn’t identify themselves,” said Butler, 27, who began dating Gurley in January 2011. “No nothing. They didn’t give no explanation. They just pulled a gun and shot him in the chest.”
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What about black on black crime
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Once again further proof that the value of a black man's life in this country is worthless. Smh.

@ has to stop.
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You shot him on accident? I wonder what was going through his partners mind.

If I was a cop and my partner did that I would've beat his ass on the spot. You brought me into this ? ? . Scary ass.

It needs to be waaaaay harder to become a cop than it already is. I'm talking F.B.I. standards.