Why don't AZ get the props that he deserve?

Options

Comments

• 1800skypager
    1800skypager Members Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He never got a major deal?

His first two joints, Doe or Die & Pieces of a Man are classics.
  • 1800skypager
    1800skypager Members Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude has one of the best flows ever... like top 3 status. To tell you the truth, he's better than NAS IMO.
  • metal face terrorist
    metal face terrorist Members Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude has one of the best flows ever... like top 3 status. To tell you the truth, he's better than NAS IMO.

classic-janet-jackson-tupac-poetic-justice-gtfoh.gif
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    TheManInBlack4.0 Members Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's had deals with the Majors, he just never hit that platinum status

I'll never understand why he never appealed to the mainstream.
  • Lustchyld
    Lustchyld Members Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    He isn't mainstream, only people who really care about the art form have ever really recognized AZ and his talent.

The same can be said for Talib Kweli as well. They may have had some TV appearances back in the day when Rap City was on the air but in today's climate they might as well be invisible.

That's sort of the plight of the underground emcee. They are usually "your favorite rapper's favorite rapper".

/thread
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    layed back demeanor
  • D.Original
    D.Original Members Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D.Original wrote: »
    His verse on Lifes a ? is arguably the GOAT verse. Doe or Die is a classic, Pieces of a Man and Aziatic are dope albums. Nobody sounds better on a record with Nas.

All that being said, IMO AZ hasnt had the artistic growth that he needed to be one of the greats. Hes been kickin the same ? for 20 years. outside a couple songs i havent heard anything memorable from AZ since Aziatic.

? you aint been listening....AZ stay dropping heat....and damn near all these artist kick the same ? ...JAY Z aint changed his style....Snoop....WU...etcTheres a reason NAS wont ecord an album with him...AZ is too nice with the pen

i havent ? with anything from jayz or snoop in years. but youre tellin me that AZ got a better pen game than Nas?? na i dont think so
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    To some people believe it or not the game is bigger then being compaired to a Nas or J-z.
    No one mc is the final end all tell all of mc standards
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AZ ain't on Nas level but AZ is better than Jay,Biggie,Pun,BigL.Eminem
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    AZ better then Nas
  • deathrowzorrow
    Options
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    AZ better then Nas

How?
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    Nas is better then Jay-Z
  • deathrowzorrow
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Nas got AZ on story telling, mafioso rap, lyrics, albums, songs, mc, flow, legacy, verses, features.

AZ on my top 5
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's his pronunciation.
    He sounds like Elmer Fudd sometimes.
    But he does have bars tho
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    Nas is making them pretty figures
    Why doesn't he sell more for having so many internet fans?
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas got AZ on story telling, mafioso rap, lyrics, albums, songs, mc, flow, legacy, verses, features.

AZ on my top 5

I think doe or die came out b4 it was written… so no yung bao nas did not put az onto that if anything Raekwon n az put nas onto that mafia rap
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

AZ on my top 5

I think doe or die came out b4 it was written… so no yung bao nas did not put az onto that if anything Raekwon n az put nas onto that mafia rap

You're right, Doe or Die came out in 95, the same summer as Only Built For Cuban Linx. It Was Written came out the following summer.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ALSO...A SLEPT-ON FACT...
    AZ GOT WENT GOLD BEFORE NAS WITH DOE OR DIE
    THAT PROB. INSPIRED NAS TO GO THAT ROUTE
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    THE_R_ wrote: »

Never thought of that, but Nas was on that Mafioso ? on mo money mo murda, he was on obfcl, he was on fast life with Kool G, AZ didn't inspire Nas to do Mafioso rap, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nas felt some type of way about AZ outselling him
  • deathrowzorrow
    Options

AZ on my top 5

It does not matter who did it first it's about who do it better ? .
  • deathrowzorrow
    edited November 2014
    Options

Never thought of that, but Nas was on that Mafioso ? on mo money mo murda, he was on obfcl, he was on fast life with Kool G, AZ didn't inspire Nas to do Mafioso rap, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nas felt some type of way about AZ outselling him

Well I am happy that Nas didn't go AZ way with Illmatic because people would not consider it Rap Bible. Nas had the best lyrics ever heard in rap on Illmatic even his flow was GOAT

Mo Money, Mo Murder Homicide was Nas idea that's their best COLLABO Nas wanted it to his next album but gave it to AZ

& ? talk about Raekwon, AZ & Nas being first? What about Kool G RAP? @5grand
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    Tupac is better then Nas
  • deathrowzorrow
    Options
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    Tupac is better then Nas

Nas
    Tupac
    Prodigy
    AZ
    Big Pun
  • deathrowzorrow
    edited November 2014
    Options
    AZ gotta thank Nas for the lifes a ? feature
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well Life's A ? would have made a great commercial single but they were cursing in the chorus. It Ain't Hard To Tell, The World Is Yours and One Love were the singles off Illmatic which were great for the ? heads but not so great for the radio stations.

AZ got it right by releasing Sugar Hill as a single, it was smoothed out and very radio friendly with a R&B chick singing the hook.

I guess Nas realized he had to make a smoothed out single so he went that route and released If I Ruled The World with Lauryn singing the hook.