_Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looking at my cover art now... I CAME THE ? UP
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Champ is here!

And I'm the newest judge in this ? . Lets do this

Future Sales- So this part of the match, is a no brainer. Yung$ has Eminem and Drake on the same label. Sorry Menace. Meek will give you solid sales as well. Your heavyweights aren’t really big sellers anymore outside of Nas. I’m aware you have Dre but I can’t sit here and really try to guestimate what Dre would do in this modern day and age. Winner: Black Roses Ent.

Future Critical Acclaim: Another no brainer but this time it works towards Menace’s favor. Nas, Dre, AZ, Cube alone! Theres a winning combo right there. Not to mention the producers, just feels like this label here could crank out great music consistently. Yung$, Bobby Smurda straight up bodies your whole case. Nothing acclaimed would ever come from him. Em & Drake make good music but based on your albums for them (more on that later) you kinda made them look derivative. Same with the Unit as well. Menace has some derivative ? as well but yours is worse. No beef fam. Winner: Goodfellas

Longevity: This is where both of y’all rosters balance out. Menace has that old time feeling while Yung$ has a bit more youth on his side. Granted Em and 50 aren’t exactly youngins, but compared to Dre, Quincy Jones, Kells and Mariah…. You get the point. Here is where the tie breaker comes in: when it comes to music with lasting power, I gotta go with Menace. The roster too strong for Yung$. Menace has legends.
    Em . Drake and Fab got staying power but everyone else on the roster falters. Winner: Goodfellas

Album Covers/Tracklist: Man ima start with the tracklistings first. You guys totally phoned it home here. There was some serious lack of creativity going on. Its just Yung$ might have done it worse! Like I swear you guys were on Wikipedia looking at old albums and just took tracks off from them LOL Sorry guys I don’t mean to be mean but I have to call it how I see it. Then the titles : “Man In The Mirror” “Money Power Respect” “How The West Was Won” “Trust Issues” “Shoot Stab ? ” its like y’all weren’t even trying. Cover wise both of you guys were meh. But I think Yung$ was a little more creative. Can’t call it: Tie

Cohesion: I like both of these rosters for what they are. Like I said, Menace you got acclaimed proven vets that seemingly would work extremely well together. I can see Nas, Quincy Jones, Kells, and Dre in a studio together with Large Professor and Pete Rock around. Yung$ ‘s label reminds me of the old school Shady Records…. Just with Drake and he and he alone doesn’t fit. Throws off your cohesion. No matter how much Drake can spit I can’t see him and Eminem as a tandem. Or hanging around with G-Unit for that matter. Winner: Goodfellas

Overall: Menace
  • TonyDubbz
    TonyDubbz Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Menaces Good Fellas ENT. takes the early lead with 1 vote over Yung$ Black Rose Ent.
    0-1

Good lookin out on the quick vote @‌IceBergTaylor. You did a good job breaking everything down.
  • nillerthekid
    nillerthekid Members Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    future sales:
    Black Rose Ent. – Eminem and Drake could probably outsell Menace entire roster individually. Most of his (Menace) roster have put up decent numbers in the past, but none of them are currently doing it, and this will most likely not change. The wild card on his roster would be Dr. Dre, but there really isn’t any kind of guaranty he would do numbers to rival those of Em and Drake. On top of that Yung$ got people like Fabolous and 50 who both could do decent numbers, at least on the same level of the artists on Menace roster, so all in all, this one really isn’t close.

future critical acclaim:
    Goodfellas.ENT – This is really a win for Nas. Most of Menace roster hasn’t been to consistent with their output in the later years, so an argument for their best years being behind them could definitely be made. That being said, most of the artist could probably continue to release decent to great projects in the future.
    Yung$’ artist don’t really have a history of critically acclaimed albums, which hurts him in this category, and the few of his artists he could gather some in the future, are suffering from the promised upcoming releases from the label, which doesn’t look to promising, a problem for both labels (more on this later).

longevity:
    Black Rose Ent. – Unlike Menace, Yung$ actually has a fair share of younger artists, who could maintain their position in the game, maybe even improve it, in some cases. Add 50 Cent and G-Unit, who are still highly active after more than a few years in the industry, and BRE has a great base for longevity.
    Menace roster on the other hand consists mostly of older acts, and most of them have in one way or the other flirted with the thought of retirement, because they are focusing on other stuff, being headphones, movies or whatever AZ is up to.
    All of this gives BRE the best future prospects.

album covers/tracklist:
    None/tie – it kinda bothers me not to pick a winner in this category, since it’s probably my favorite, and such a big part of this game, but the output from the two players, unfortunately, wasn’t very good, in my opinion. A big annoyance to me was the size of the covers. This might seem a little petty, but the artwork looked more like promotional posters in some cases. On top of that, the fonts used on a lot of the artwork didn’t work to well, for both players.
    It didn’t really appear as either of the players focused a lot on the tracklists either, which is a shame, because this is a great place for a player to set him/herself apart from the competition, a chance none of the two players in this match up to advantage of. Both players made some questionable choices when it came to features as well, where is appeared to me, as if the features where just there to take up space. Basically it can be summed up as pretty cliché overall, from both players, and neither seems to have taken well rewarded chances. Ideas that might have looked good on paper, ended up not working very well. An example of this could be Menace Nas, Cube, Scarface and Kanye album, where the involvement of Kanye is a bad idea to me. While the thought of a One Nation album is dope, I doubt Kanye would mesh well with the other three.
    Maybe I’ve been spoiled by the earlier games, but my expectations where definitely not met. I hope whoever end up winning this matchup has some better ammo in the stash.

cohesion:
    Black Rose Ent. – Most of his artists are capable of releasing albums doing decent numbers, while gathering some acclaim for them, without necessarily making classics, so his label could definitely function as a mainstream label.
    Menace on the other hand ended up messing his cohesiveness. Most of his roster consist of ’90s rappers, with producers to match, and the rappers he picked up could probably work together really well, but then there is the addition of R. Kelly, Mariah and Quincy Jones. While they are good artists, they don’t mesh very well with the rest of the label, a problem that could’ve been solved by making a sub-label for the three.

Vote goes to: Black Rose Ent. And Yung$ with a 3-1 victory.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    This ? crazy , when i first looked over the roster and albums yesterday I had a clear winner in my mind, but now that im sitting down and breaking each catergory down, Im leaning towards the other owner.

Future Sales:

Menace damn near has the same squad as the last game, and has yet to learn to balance legends with the new school. Drake and Em will outsell Menace´s whole label alone.

Winner: Black Rose Ent

Future Critical Acclaim:

From the bloggers, Goodfellas MIGHT get more critical acclaim, mainly off the stregnth of Nas and the One Nation Album but in all reality , Em and Drake dominate the awards and I dont see that stopping anytime soon.

Album Covers/Tracklist:

The covers were pretty good, but the tracklist and album titles were corny af. Just when you thought it couldnt get any worse than ¨Kurupted¨ , the Black Rose Family drops ¨Gorgeous Gangster¨ , I gave Goodfellas the category off that ? alone.

Winner: Goodfellas

Longevity:

Every artist on Goodfellas is 40 plus smh

Cohesion:

As I stated at the top , Menace hasnt learned to balance the legends with the new school, where as Black Rose Ent has a legend (Em) and New School star (Drake). Cant approach this game as a fan, you have to approach this ? as a business man, Goodfellas will barely sell.

Both labels did well, but Menace has to let mariah and the 90s legends go and focus on the game, he did step his album cover game up tho. Black Rose Ent is a strong team, I suggest you change your album titles and track list around tho.

Round Winner: Black Rose Ent 4-1 (Vote Doesnt Count)
  • _Menace_
    Options
    Mariah
    NaS
    Rkelly
    Dre
    Cube have all worked with each other multiple times.

Just pointing that out to let YALL know this isn't a "random" put together roster
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Goldie and Niller pretty much nailed how I feel. Dead @ Gorgeous Gangsta yeah I gotta good laugh out that.

I will say that watching this is giving me ideas for the next time y'all have this competition.
  • JaDaDon
    JaDaDon Members Posts: 879 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pause at gorgeous gangster
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Future Sales: Future Sales is of course the endstate of a successful label so we have to figure out which label is set up to accomplish this with maximum success. As you know I am a fan of the eye test. Goodfellas ENT, when you look at the top of the label as far as album sales go, they start with great potential. About halfway down the roster is when this aspect begins a drastic drop off. Of course this can be combated combining elements of the other categories so I expect Goodfellas ENT to do just that because the CEO is a veteran in the game. We shall see. What have you done for me lately? That's what I see when I look at Black Rose ENT and they don't dissaapoint. The label is set up with sales in mind in my opinion and they pass my initial eye test with the balance.
    Winner: Black Rose ENT

Future Critical Acclaim: Goodfellas ENT has plenty of legend in the game that will push for an demand Critical acclaim. Are they capable of actually doing this though? I say yes just by looking at the label as a whole to include production, potential marketing, etc....The ceiling is high for Black Rose but Goodfellas ENT is just too damn strong. Too many artists that fans and critics wonder if they still have "it". They are just too strong in this category when you look at everything else they have put together.
    Winner: Goodfellas ENT

Longevity: Again I had to go with the eye test on this one before I started digging. Black Roses ENT has a good balance of artists that potentially could be around and make some noise for awhile. Cohesion will be the key for them though. They will have to make it work. Goodfellas ENT......too many proven vets in the game that have a chance to remain relevent. I had this at a tie at first but I will give the edge to the veterans and what they have already proven.

Album Covers/Tracklist: Album covers are pretty even on both labels. There are a few that stand out (Bobby Shmurder, R.Kelly) but there are too many covers on both sides that have a mixtape feel to them. I had to go to tracklists/production to see if I can get a clear cut winner. It seems as if Goodfellas ENT put in a little more work and was just a little more creative. This was close but.....

Both of ya'll better step your album covers up or make sure you are very strong in the other categories for the next round.

Cohesion: I see what Goodfellas ENT is doing. I get it. But. I can just glance at Black Rose ENT and they just fit. Again they just passed the eye test and I really didn't have to think about it. Goodfellas is strong and I get what they are trying to accomplish but Black Rose just feels cohesive from jump.
    Winner: Winner: Black Rose ENT

Overall: Goodfellas ENT

And shout out to my guy @_Menace_ He has gotten so much better than when we first started. He never quits and always trys to get better. Salute. Good job to both labels though.
  • _Menace_
    Options
    Yall know I got a mobb deep and Pac div album too?
  • _Menace_
    Options
    If I make it to the next round I'm gonna change up some of the artwork and titles but keeping the same tracklists
  • SuperSoaker
    SuperSoaker Members Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alright here's my vote!

Future sales; on one hand you have menace with Mariah Carey the highest selling artist of the 90's, but were in 2014 ole girl can even get gold. He has a solid cast of artist and if this were the late nineties he could have won. The black rose has drizzy who for all intensive purposes has the highest selling rap albums of the new school. But I think he fell flat with the eminem release. That album looks like reload which is ems lowest selling album. At the end of the day though he has proven sellers in the new era so This round is Black Rose.

Future critical acclaim; this was a tough one, but I think black rose made some questionable decisions. I would have released those 50 Nd banks albums as mixtape it would have gave them a grittier feel and probably got them critical acclaim. Outside of that I see hardly anything with critical acclaim but I do see street bangers. Menace has a solid cast, Nasir is going to give you a solid effort and then you can bank on the stand to call it classic anyways so you straight. You have dre but didn't release detox?!! Smh media would have crucified it. Kells looks like that grown man ? lol this round goes to menace

Longevity; another tough round, it's like young versus old. Black rose has eminem and drake who have prove they can maintain the top since they've been out. While menace has Nasir who has proven he can produce dope music. But cube hasn't made anything dope in a awhile and that nostalgia grab ain't worth it. Mariah Carey is at that point where she's feigning for a hit lol black rose has meek, drizzy and shrumda that really tips the scales in the future they can lead the way. Round goes to black rose

Cohesion; highly disappointed this round. Neither of you will get my vote. You both made the mistake of making a bunch of albums with too many different producers instead of creating cohesive albums. While menace had a cool idea the one nation my question is why even put those four artist at the forefront when you have a feature on damn near every song? You were better off making that a compilation album instead of trying to shoehorn those four artists it really looks like one big cluster ? . While both had features that made sense I couldn't get with the too many producers on a every album.

Tracklist/cover art; menace you've come along way from getting bullied on the block, you have some pretty dope covers particularly you excelled with the Nas covers. Both of y'all fell into lapses of generic ? . That em cover is just some promotional stuff from relapse. The biggest grievance I have is with the track lyrical slaughter off of drakes album that seemed so forced especially when the albums called trust issues. That one nation is a disaster like I already mentioned all the song titles are too generic when it's an artist from that region you just put a regions specific track name on the song that's wack, a lot of potential but fell flat. Overall though menace had better album cover skills and black rose needs to upgrade that Photoshop or take lessons with sion Lololol this round goes to menace

Overall since my rounds are tied I got to see which label would be more successful realistically. I'd line my pockets up with black rose or I could get mad acclaim from menace. From a creative standpoint y'all both stayed in a safe zone and neither really thought out the box. But my vote goes to @menace the initial impression I had left a bigger impact on me then black toed and he has least try to make different albums but still I'd tweak a few things cuz you would get burned in the next round bruh
  • SuperSoaker
    SuperSoaker Members Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? I just read @IceBergTaylor‌ vote and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that track listings were wack lol I was afraid I was being too harsh lol
  • _Menace_
    Options
    Fasho
    Good looking out on the the votes....

Definitely bringing heat next round
  • TonyDubbz
    TonyDubbz Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    And looks like we have a winner

GOODFELLAS ENT.
    takes this one 3-1

@_Menace_ advances to the next round.

It was a good showing from both competitors though.. @Yung$ you did a good job bruh and I hope to see you participating again in the future. Just remember from here you can only get better.. read over the judges comments because they were droppin some real knowledge that could help you out in the future.

Congrats to @_Menace_ for advancing.

I'll have the next round up some time later this evening, bout to start working on it now.
  • _Menace_
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Finally made it out the 1st round!!!

2007.gif~original
    moreno-crying-gif.gif?w=520&h=292

Shout out to Young you did you're thing bruh.
    And shout out to all the judges who dropped votes.

• _Menace_
    Options
    I'm gonna make some new coverart and throw some albums out. Coming back 10X harder next round
  • yung$
    yung$ Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    thanks for the votes wanted to wait until everyone was done to comment, I agree with the tracklist kinda phoned those in. Good win Menace

Ill see yall next year
  • _Menace_
    Options
    Judges I heard you.... That cube album with random producers is gone.....

got this in the works as we speak....alot on anticipation on this

OSheaJackson_zpsf52b2741.jpg