? Barkley on Racial Profiling:'We got a lot of crooks.there is a reason they racially profile us'

Options

Comments

• sharpshotta11
    sharpshotta11 Members Posts: 59
    Options
    Shaq is just as ? up and scared of going against right-wing agenda that he plays the self-blame card. Being a police officer makes you infallible? He still thinks there's "unseen evidence"?

I'm sorry. HE STILL THINKS THERE"S "UNSEEN EVIDENCE"?!

I don't know how more appropriate is the expression, "burying your head in the sand".

? are ? SCARED to counter the dominant white society. So scared it's too obvious. Mumbling ? about we dont have all the evidence.

• sharpshotta11
    sharpshotta11 Members Posts: 59
    Options
    Yall see this ? now about cleveland police killing that boy within 2 seconds of pulling up next to him.

• VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shaq is just as ? up and scared of going against right-wing agenda that he plays the self-blame card. Being a police officer makes you infallible? He still thinks there's "unseen evidence"?

I'm sorry. HE STILL THINKS THERE"S "UNSEEN EVIDENCE"?!

I don't know how more appropriate is the expression, "burying your head in the sand".

? are ? SCARED to counter the dominant white society. So scared it's too obvious. Mumbling ? about we dont have all the evidence.

No one should expect anything from Shaq.He is not a bright man.Plus it's funny that he lost his badge for his Kobe diss,but white cops can ? unarmed blacks and still have a job on the force.That in itself is a problem and tells you how little this country and police value black lives.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Stephen A Smith only disagrees with Kenny in the part where he said Charles opinion shouldn't hold weight like Obama and Al Sharpton. He feels that everyone has the right to speak, especially athletes

Because it shouldn't. Yes Barkley can speak, anyone can speak, but should his words be taken as seriously as others on anything outside of basketball? No.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Ya'll peep how Charles Barley just stereotyped and pigeonhole black folks in the whole interview. As if all black people share the same thoughts and opinion. Same ? white people do to us.

"like my grandma I'll judge people based on their merits"

a sentence later

"if I would have came out and said all cops are bad...black people would love it"

• vitoria
    vitoria Members Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Charles' comments are really troubling. You can see his ignorance shining through. Someone close to him needs to tell him to shut up. (His comments are troubling enough without any misconstrual though, so let me say that it doesn't sound like he was saying that slavery wasn't "all that bad." It seems that he was going to say that slavery was the worst thing ever, and then he stopped himself and said that he doesn't really have any personal experience to say that, only what he's read and was told by his grandma.)
    1. Racial disparities in certain serious crimes are real -- even when account is taken of discriminatory enforcement. So in that sense, there is a reason to want to profile us.

2. Racial profiling is not necessarily racist.

3. Racial profiling is wrong even if 1. and 2. are true. So Charles is dead wrong when he says that it is sometimes right.

4. It's because of racial oppression stretching back over many decades that 1 is true -- certainly it doesn't mean that we are "naturally' prone to crime.

This post will no doubt be misunderstood by some posters and these said posters will try to bury it -- though what I am saying is a really radical.

What did I say would happen? And as I suspected, no one even bothered to try to explain to me how I am wrong.

No doubt this post probably reinforced some of y'all view that I'm a ? . But how is it coonish?

Y'all say that racial profiling is wrong because racial disparities in crime do not exist.

I say that racial profiling is wrong EVEN IF racial disparities exist. (And it would be astonishing if a people so long oppressed did not commit a disproportionate share of some crimes.)

Y'all say that racial profiling is wrong because it is racist.

I say that racial profiling is wrong EVEN IF it is not racist.

It seems that I am the one taking the more radical position.

So if I'm a ? , what does that make the people who flagged me?
  • bigbird_1
    bigbird_1 Members Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't buy it, but he also says he doesn't pay attention to social media. If he truly doesn't though, he better watch his back because he might just get punched in his fat mouth for all of this ? shuck and jive rhetoric he's speaking.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Charles' comments are really troubling. You can see his ignorance shining through. Someone close to him needs to tell him to shut up. (His comments are troubling enough without any misconstrual though, so let me say that it doesn't sound like he was saying that slavery wasn't "all that bad." It seems that he was going to say that slavery was the worst thing ever, and then he stopped himself and said that he doesn't really have any personal experience to say that, only what he's read and was told by his grandma.)
    1. Racial disparities in certain serious crimes are real -- even when account is taken of discriminatory enforcement. So in that sense, there is a reason to want to profile us.

3. Racial profiling is wrong even if 1. and 2. are true. So Charles is dead wrong when he says that it is sometimes right.

4. It's because of racial oppression stretching back over many decades that 1 is true -- certainly it doesn't mean that we are "naturally' prone to crime.

This post will no doubt be misunderstood by some posters and these said posters will try to bury it -- though what I am saying is a really radical.

What did I say would happen? And as I suspected, no one even bothered to try to explain to me how I am wrong.

No doubt this post probably reinforced some of y'all view that I'm a ? . But how is it coonish?

Y'all say that racial profiling is wrong because racial disparities in crime do not exist.

I say that racial profiling is wrong EVEN IF racial disparities exist. (And it would be astonishing if a people so long oppressed did not commit a disproportionate share of some crimes.)

Racial profiling is racist, period. Openly pre-judging people without giving them the benefit of proving what they are about is a slippery slope and profiling people in general is not a wise thing to do

Not all poor black people commit crimes just like not all poor white people are upstanding citizens. No one race,religion or sex acts exactly the same. People should judge others on there own merit not by some preconceived notion.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's not quite what he said. He started to say that slavery was the worst thing in history, but then stepped back and said that he didn't know if he could say that for sure because he never experienced it. It's a stupid comment regardless because you shouldn't have to have experienced slavery to know it ranks high up there as one of history's greatest atrocities. But it's also not like he was acting like slavery wasn't bad like people are implying.

I don't know if Charles is more a ? or an idiot. I think he has tendencies of both, but I don't think he's one of those people that are tap dancing to make whites happy. I think he's been rich for so long that he's out of touch. Most of his comments are more in line with someone with crazy idealistic views about race in this country. Those are views he can hold because he's rich and famous and white people treat him with a certain respect and dignity that they don't give to normal black people. Dude grew up in Alabama though so it's hard for me to believe that he's lost perspective to this degree. But Charles has always been like that. As soon as he got rich, he started thinking like a rich man moreso than a black man.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options

Racial profiling is racist, period. Openly pre-judging people without giving them the benefit of proving what they are about is a slippery slope and profiling people in general is not a wise thing to do

Not all poor black people commit crimes just like not all poor white people are upstanding citizens. No one race,religion or sex acts exactly the same. People should judge others on there own merit not by some preconceived notion.

My ? . You realize that I said it's wrong right?

Its wrongness doesn't depend on whether it is racist or not.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My ? . You realize that I said its wrong right?

Its wrongness doesn't depend on whether it is racist or not.

I never stated that you said it wasn't wrong.

I'm simply stating that if somebody is basing there ideals of a person on simply race then it is some what racisit. now I will admit that a person might just be ignorant or misinformed and that is the main reason for making a broad assumption but to act out and treat a person a certain way just because of there race is a huge characteristic of a racisit.
  • wugag
    wugag Members Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Options

That's not quite what he said. He started to say that slavery was the worst thing in history, but then stepped back and said that he didn't know if he could say that for sure because he never experienced it. It's a stupid comment regardless because you shouldn't have to have experienced slavery to know it ranks high up there as one of history's greatest atrocities. But it's also not like he was acting like slavery wasn't bad like people are implying.

I don't know if Charles is more a ? or an idiot. I think he has tendencies of both, but I don't think he's one of those people that are tap dancing to make whites happy. I think he's been rich for so long that he's out of touch. Most of his comments are more in line with someone with crazy idealistic views about race in this country. Those are views he can hold because he's rich and famous and white people treat him with a certain respect and dignity that they don't give to normal black people. Dude grew up in Alabama though so it's hard for me to believe that he's lost perspective to this degree. But Charles has always been like that. As soon as he got rich, he started thinking like a rich man moreso than a black man.
    Totally agree and Im willing to bet everything I own that charles would never say "I can't even say the holocaust was all that bad. All I know about it is what my grandma told me"
  • Copper
    Options
    "we need cops"

"all cops arent bad"

Ive heard this line from the other side too many times

whos arguing this? people are mad no bc they want cops to be eradicated bc they think their all evil....they want cops who do wrong to be held accountable

people like to argue with the black community things that black people arent arguing

you would tell a white man with a gripe with fire fighters that let his house burn down that "all fire fighters arent bad" or " we need fire fighters" he has a problem with the way things went down with a particular fire fighter/s

the ? is condescending
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    wugag wrote: »

Totally agree and Im willing to bet everything I own that charles would never say "I can't even say the holocaust was all that bad. All I know about it is what my grandma told me"

I wouldn't put it past him. Ya'll act like Barkley hasn't said things that have ? whites off before. Y'all are just keying in on the coonish ? he's said in order to call him a ? . I get it, but you have to understand that Barkley has typically not given a ? and said stupid ? across the board.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »

The fact this ? can spew this ? on national tv ? amazes me.
  • Copper
    Options

I wouldn't put it past him. Ya'll act like Barkley hasn't said things that have ? whites off before. Y'all are just keying in on the coonish ? he's said in order to call him a ? . I get it, but you have to understand that Barkley has typically not given a ? and said stupid ? across the board.

you saying that to say what?
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Take spotlight off of anti-black bigotry as a culprit. Put it squarely on black degeneracy, pathology.

You wouldn't be treated with such hellfire aggression if you didn't do anything to deserve it. If we didn't use more force with you, you ? would not be able to be contained, unlike the good people; therefore, it is both justified and necessary line of thinking.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Copper wrote: »

you saying that to say what?

That Barkley probably would make that Holocaust comment.