What could be done to curve the violence in black communities?

Options
death187sin
death187sin Members Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in For The Grown & Sexy
I took the liberty to read news from most of the major cities this morning and noticed they all have one thing in common and that is a black man, women or child was killed as a result of gun violence. Living in a high crime area with limited resources you become a custom to thinking it's only that way in your city.

My question is what is it that makes black people so much more willing to use violence towards another person of the same color? What makes us so violent period?!

I seen a white man walking through Baltimore one day in one of the worse neighborhoods. I asked him was he afraid and he looked at me and calmly said "No". I said and why is that? He replied "because you guys only ? each other. I'm white so I have nothing to worry about."

I thought about it later that night on my way back to NJ and realized this white man had a point.

One story that stands out in my mind because I was there to see the aftermath of it. I was in Camden visiting some family when I came across a crime scene unlike anything I've ever witnessed.

4 year old Brandon was riding his little bike at 12 noon when an argument broke out between 2 drug dealers. Gunfire followed the argument. Brandon tried to flee to his mother's arms but was hit twice by .45 caliber slugs that ripped through his body.

At this time I was just getting to the house and the street was eerily quiet. I noticed bikes laying in the street, strollers flipped over and people peeking from windows. Then I heard the screaming. The mother ran to me with her blood covered little boy in her arms screaming for me to do something. I'm CPR certified because my job requires me to be. I convinced her to lay him flat on the pavement. He was bleeding out very fast. I could see he was shot. Neighbors started running with towels and water. I placed the towel over the hole but noticed the blood was still coming from somewhere else. Turned him on his side and noticed he has a second hole. This hole started to seep black blood which indicated the bullet pierced his kidney. By this time the police arrived and took over the scene, then fire trucks and EMT's came.

Standing there with his blood on us holding our breath hoping the EMT's could save him but they could not. He died at the scene. Right in front of his mother. I never seen anything so sad in my life. I cried for 2 days because I have a child also and I can't even imagine.

What are some of the things they are doing in your neighborhoods to stop the violence? Maybe some of the ideas could serve as a useful tool in your community.

Comments

• Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    its the rap music, which causes the brain damage

with the hippin and the hoppin and the bippin and the boppin
  • Gnawledgeable
    Gnawledgeable Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    It starts at home with the family with love and belonging. If they don't have that, they have a "I don't care", "They don't care about me" mindset and they raise hell.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    tough question

i think it might be the food we eat

that ? gives us high blood pressure which in turn causes bad attitudes which causes a ? or female to snap which in turn causes a ? to get his ass beat or get killed

its the fried chicken and kool aid
  • death187sin
    death187sin Members Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    It starts at home with the family with love and belonging. If they don't have that, they have a "I don't care", "They don't care about me" mindset and they raise hell.

What about spoiled suburban black kids who try they hardest to be hood? What makes them violent?
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    vasectamies and tube tyings
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Man I came out of a 2 parent household (pops was a mailman moms a school teacher) very afrocentric, took trips everywhere, gang of love, never was hungry we all got cars @ 16 and my baby brother still ended up being a thug and doing time, so it's the individual mindset couple with drugs, music and materialism
  • Beware
    Beware Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    its the rap music, which causes the brain damage

with the hippin and the hoppin and the bippin and the boppin

bill cosby in the simpsons right?
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    raise kids right. put more money in the black community cuz socioeconomic status is a big factor. and hold the youth accountable for their ? ups early
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i know the answer but i dont want people to take credit for my thoughts. and also

foodstamps
  • Bwoahmizzee
    Bwoahmizzee Members Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    by getting to the roots of the problems

what are people fighting for? what are people dying over?

it's not a fluke that most of the crime happens where the poverty is

which brings us to why are people poor which in turn makes us look at the education system
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    oh i don't know maybe toughen up the court system so dudes with 11 mmisdemeanors and 2 felonies in the last 3 years aren't just walking around the streets.
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    man yall make it so difficult. its easy to curve crime in black communities.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    these young fools now dont want peace they want beef
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    "What are some of the things they are doing in your neighborhoods to stop the violence? Maybe some of the ideas could serve as a useful tool in your community."

It's not up to "them" anymore. They've done all they could. It's up to the people that live in the low income n-hoods to do something. It starts with the parents and trickles down to the family, teachers and so on. It's about us holding each other accountable for our actions. It's amazing what people do when there's little to no consequences. We would need to up the ante on foolish behavior.
  • Bwoahmizzee
    edited June 2010
    Options
    alot of these young ? aren't looking at the future they are looking at the right now

everybody got something to die for but what are you willing to live for?

hmmmmmmmmmmm?
  • Bwoahmizzee
    edited June 2010
    Options
    alot of these young ? aren't looking at the future they are looking at the right now

everybody got something to die for but what are you willing to live for?

hmmmmmmmmmmm?

sig worthy

yeah I said it
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    won't happen. just get outta that ? alive and uncaged.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    sadly most black people hate to see another blk person come up...instead of giving props or appreciating what that person has worked for they talk down about them like they're better than everybody else. I can't stand those types of people.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    What cracks me up is the ? living in ? conditions but spend all his money on ? like clothes, a ragedy ass car with big ass rims and weed
  • CollegeBoi12
    CollegeBoi12 Members Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    We need to hold each other accountable
    Instead of pointing the finger at someone else (white people, other black folks) look at yourself and see what can you do to be part of the solution
  • Aztec_Kang
    Aztec_Kang Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    To start eliminating violence in the black and brown ghettos I think these things need to happen:

1. Better schools in the hood. The schools in the hood should have more resources or atleast equivalent resources to the rich neighborhoods.
    2. More structured families. 2 parents in the house makes a big difference.
    3. Education needs to be culturally embraced and promoted.
    4. More job opportunities for people from poor communities.
    5. More activities for young people like dance classes, graffitti classes, hip hop classes, chess classes, martial arts classes to give the kids something else to do other than get high, join gangs, and get chicks impregnated.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    take the advice of Bill Cosby. the wisest of you all happens to be the one of the most shunned.
  • allreasoned_out
    allreasoned_out Members Posts: 2,696 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Good thread. A lot of things could help (better schools, etc.). But the two most important things may be getting rid of the guns and getting people to stop placing so much value on being hard.
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Aztec_Kang wrote: »
    To start eliminating violence in the black and brown ghettos I think these things need to happen:

1. Better schools in the hood. The schools in the hood should have more resources or atleast equivalent resources to the rich neighborhoods.
    2. More structured families. 2 parents in the house makes a big difference.
    3. Education needs to be culturally embraced and promoted.
    4. More job opportunities for people from poor communities.
    5. More activities for young people like dance classes, graffitti classes, hip hop classes, chess classes, martial arts classes to give the kids something else to do other than get high, join gangs, and get chicks impregnated.

this is pretty good. BUT WE STILL HAVE TO ROOT OUT THE CORRUPT BLACK OVER-CLASS (crooked politicians, police, school board, lawyers, consultants, city appointed financial planners and managers.) they are the ones stealing all the "legal money."

we can't get the funding or personnel SECURITY AND RESOURCES together because the talented tenth is not working on our behalf in unity. the talented tenth likes to use "gangsters and thugs" as a scape goat when they just filled the vacuum that BLACK FLIGHT LEFT.
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    We need to bring ? back in the community and start beating our women.

It's the only way.

Oh...and more rap. Defiantly more rap.