Effigies of blacks found hanging by nooses at UC Berkeley

Options
MasterJayN100
MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in For The Grown & Sexy
berkeley14n-2-web.jpg?enlarged

One photograph was of Laura Nelson, a black woman lynched alongside her 18-year-old son, Lawrence, near Muskogee, Okla., in 1911 after allegedly shooting a deputy to death at their home.

Her effigy was found hanging from a tree.

Century-old wire reports show their bodies were discovered hanging from a bridge six miles away from their jail cell after a mob broke in, gagged its jailer and kidnapped the Nelsons.

The figure found tied to Sather Gate shows George Meadows, a 22-year-old black man who proclaimed his innocence while being accused of murder and ? in Alabama, according to an 1889 report by Birmingham’s Weekly Herald.

A crowd of about 500 men then took Meadows from the jail to Pratt Mines near Birmingham where they “suspended him from a limb” and “riddled” his body with bullets, the report states.

Neither students nor police were sure who's responsible for hanging the life-size images, but hope “it’s someone who wanted to bring attention to the issue,” UC Berkeley student, Spencer Pritchard, 21, said.

Campus police are investigating the display as a hate crime, Holmes added, but as of Saturday night no one has come forward with any tips.

Photos of a stuffed ? hanging by a noose along the school’s greek row were also shared on social media, but Holmes said that was from a prior incident during an unspecified Halloween.

10832131_890465987660445_2066419902_n.jpg

B4w9NA6CIAAWAWa.jpg

http://abc7chicago.com/news/effigies-of-blacks-found-hanging-by-nooses-at-uc-berkeley/435870/

Comments

• So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White people being white, what else is new?
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So ? disrespectful.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wheres da good white folks, to stop em.... O yeaa.

But hey, the wise crush the foolish ya dig.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was there any cameras to catch them in the act?
  • MasterJayN100
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    Was there any cameras to catch them in the act?

most schools have them but i wonder why didnt they catch this act going on?
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? disgusting smh
  • onetoughmiracle
    onetoughmiracle Members Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »
    I may catch some hate for this,but it could it be possible that black ppl are doing this to make ppl remember blacks who got killed?

Seems random for whites to put these historic racial killings back in the public with yrs on them.

Seems like a reminder especially if the last pic really has the hash tag "I can't breath" on it

I thought about that as well, but if you're trying to make a political statement in that way, you'd take credit for it, so that people will know what your message is.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I may catch some hate for this,but it could it be possible that black ppl are doing this to make ppl remember blacks who got killed?

Seems random for whites to put these historic racial killings back in the public with yrs on them.

Seems like a reminder especially if the last pic really has the hash tag "I can't breath" on it

indeed.
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's good to see a poster with some sense around here.

unlike the majority of you fools that just want to spout ? about white people before finding out the facts, I honestly think the government is behind all of this ? .

• D0wn
    Options

I thought about that as well, but if you're trying to make a political statement in that way, you'd take credit for it, so that people will know what your message is.

Exactly. Something like "never forget". "modern day lynching"
    If anything, its Mocking the whole movement. Hanging from the bridge....
    It remind Me when Kanye snatch the mic from that girl at the mtv awards.
    If u went to his myspace page that week it was spammed with pictures of lynching and ppl Getting burned.
    This is definitely white ppl doing.

• Mr_Vicodin81G
    Mr_Vicodin81G Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can white people just fall off the face of this earth? Is that 2 much 2 ask?
  • D0wn
    Options
    The_Man wrote: »

It's good to see a poster with some sense around here.

unlike the majority of you fools that just want to spout ? about white people before finding out the facts, I honestly think the government is behind all of this ? .

Like how can White ppl do this to Black ppl . For whites so loved the ? .
    They bought us here from, then hell on earth, Africa. They put us on cruise ships, and gave us jobs.

Thank u missa whye man sur
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont think a racist white would hang them with dates and write "I cant breathe" on them

the message is Eric Garnder murder is a modern day lynching
  • MasterJayN100
    edited December 2014
    Options
    people are fighting so this BS wont happen again.not in this country anyway.other countries still doing slavery on the low.sex slavery,physical slavery etc....we gotta first work on the BS here and go elsewhere to atleast ease the tensions
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options

they did this at berkeley where they just had a pretty big protest about everything that's going on. i don't think this was done out of hate i think it was done to promote awareness.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I read the article after I wrote that,but in it says the police think it comes from an upcoming protest against police brutality etc. on blacks.

Why would they be putting hashtags,names,and yrs of old lynchings if they were trying to send a negative message?
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe it was a group of blk students who did it but didn't want to bring any unwanted, negative attention to themselves which could possibly detract from the message they were trying to convey

The images do speak very well for themselves
  • D0wn
    Options

Maybe it was a group of blk students who did it but didn't want to bring any unwanted, negative attention to themselves which could possibly detract from the message they were trying to convey

They could of done that by presenting it, or using the images During a protest.
    Not just hanging it on a bridge, and leaving it there.
    If anything , if black kids are behind this, then they are Stupid as ? .
    Cause if so, and it's revealed that black kids did this, the media will spin this into "hey look, these blacks are trying to frame Innocent white kids.", and it takes away from the message.

Tact. Tactfulness is the word of the day.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm not sure the kind of person that would do something this overtly racist would care enough to do that kind of research

The far right tends to be too imbecilic to have this kind of knowledge on hand
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options

They could just as easily be construed as a threat. People with a worthwhile message shouldn't leave ambiguity.

Down is correct. If black students did in fact do this. B for intention. D+ for execution.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea racism in the Bay Area isnt rampant. It more closer to separation by class, which isnt really bad unless youre in certain parts of San Francisco or East Contra Costa County. Plus Berkley is home of the Hippy Movement. I would probably point the finger at white kids doing it in favor for blacks.