Can Somebody Please Define This Generation?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in The Reason
Hip Hop moves in cycles. The first generation was The Park Jam Era. This is when DJs would set up their sound systems in the parks and the MCs would talk over the mic while the DJ was mixing records.

The next generation is The Old School. This is when the first rap records started coming out (79-82/83-86). You can break it into two sub divisions, from 79-82 they used live instruments and they typically replayed a popular song, but not always (The Breaks - Kurtis Blow, Rappers Delight - Sugarhill Gang, Freedom - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5)

Around 1982 or 83 they started using drum machines and synthesizers. It was around this time that DJs started cutting and scratching other records for the chorus. (Sucker MCs- Run DMC, Friends - Whodini, The Show - Dougie Fresh)

In 1987 Rap producers started sampling. At first they'd sample a riff or a note and play the sample over a drumbeat, then they started looping entire drumbeats and putting samples on top of the drum loops (Rebel Without a Pause - Public Enemy, I Know You Got Soul - Eric B and Rakim, ? Tha Police - Public Enemy)

From 87-91 is considered The Golden Era, or maybe the first Golden Era. What was so special about it was you could sample anything you wanted. There were no laws regarding sampling, you didn't have to clear a sample and if there was a problem it was generally settled out of court. Since everybody was doing it the lawsuits were minimal. You couldn't sue somebody if you owned a record label and your artists were doing the same thing.

The sample laws changed in 1991 after the famous Biz Markie v Gilvert O'Sullivan case. But there were still some things left over from the previous era; Yo MTV Raps, The Arsenio Hall Show and The Source, all three of these media outlets started around the same time (88/89).

I don't think there's an official name for the next era, but I guess you could call 92-97 the second Golden Era. This is when Death Row, 2PAC and later Big took over. You could say it ended with the death of Biggie if that makes any sense. By that point Yo! MTV Raps and The Arsenio Hall Show were both off the air.

I'm not sure what the next era would be called. No Limit and Rocafella came out around that
time (1998).

Napster got big around 1999.

At some point the internet era/ mp3 era took over. I can remember downloading music in 2000.

EDIT. I just did a wiki search, the iPod and iTunes both came out in 2001.

If anybody can define this current era and when it started I'd be interested in your opinion.

This may be the iTunes era, or the YouTube era, but the question remains; when did it start and end?

Comments

• So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Regular ? generation lol

Most popular rappers , kdot, Drake, cole, Sean, chance, wale. They just basically regular ? .
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Weak as ? . I'm all for civil rights for ? but to idolize their fashion and behavior is weak. I blame the don't be a hater movement years back that promotes going with whatever is winning without critical thinking.
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just let time tell man.
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To answer the OP too, in my opinion, the south has always had a presence. It's always had standout artists like Kast and Scarface, 3-6, Ball and G. But in 2004 after 50 Cent's album slowed up, and the Roc started to disband Lil Jon really came with a different sound, plus he featured all kinds of different artists in his music that acted as a showcase for the south. Then you have Def Jam getting behind artists like Ludacris and Jeezy, Ross too. Even the unit had buck and he was doin his thing too. Traditionally east coast companies were taking notice and you could tell the sound was shifting.

You add to the fact that it was being monetized like never before which destroyed the quality of the music, plus the internet and got the south blamed for killing hip hop because of the ringtone era and the like, but what ? keep forgettin is that they can't put themselves on TV, they can't pay themselves. But whatever the case, the south was what was going on at the time.

Kanye west also is a huge cog in what's going on at the moment because he basically made it ok for a regular dude to rap and be fresh without the traditional school of hard knocks story so that added a whole nother layer to what we were already hearing. With the south sound starting to fizzle out, you had sons of Kanye, Game helping bring back the west coast, Southern standouts holding their positions and other upstart superstars like drake and nicki, krit, and others carrying the torch. Plus with the internet, and being able to send verses and things like that, there really will never be regional dominance again. Every era has its pros and cons, just as this one. But this is a dope era if you look past the Radio.

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turn Up Generation
    808s and xyz Generation
    Post-Ye Generation
    Post Graduation-Generation
  • sr_the_freshman
    sr_the_freshman Members Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Turn up, hoe. Turn up Generation.

I wanna say it was a combination of ? who cultivated it before hand like T-Pain, Gucci, and Soulja Boy but Flocka was the flame that birthed it easily in the summer of 2010 with Hard in the Paint. At least on a mainstream level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkkC9cK8Hz0

Undeground? Lil' B was low-low key starting a revolution of low-effort, off the cuff, high energy rap. It can be traced to the success of his Wonton Soup record (also summer 2010), which I feel is what catapulted him into success, and garnered his cult following. Subsequently Task-Force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m5CIcbytfM

? have not turn't the ? down since then, and it's honestly gotten annoying as ? . It started as a generation of defiant, lazy, drug fueled, try-hards that were simply striving to be different for the sake of being different. Now it has evolved into a generation of defiant, lazy, drug fueled. try-hard ? who have been turn't up for so long, they don't know what it means to be introspective in the least. A bunch of ? who go hard everyday for no reason. Celebrate for nothing ect.

Don't believe me? Peep a few facts. When you listen to records these days, who's ? are you really hearing? The ? is riddled with either Lil' B or Flocka's adlibs, Lil' B or Flocka flows, Lil' B' or Flocka low effort bars, Lil' B's antics, or Flocka's super high energy. Either that? Or ? are crooning on the hook, with or without autotune like T-Pain used to do. Flocka himself has noticed this, and has tried to distance himself from it by assimilating into EDM, and actually stepping UP his bars. If ? 's weren't dickriding his whole style, he wouldn't have felt the need to do what he's doing. Not so much the EDM thing, but rapping better.

The style's that Flocka and Based ? created have essentially been hijacked and recreated everywhere by ? who have access to the internet, saw what Flocka was doing, saw how Lil' B got his buzz and said "-I can do that. It looks fun."

Edit: The only thing that seems to be putting an end to this ? has been Kendrick, and recently J Cole. Both ? have once again made it cool to be proactive, introspective, conscious, ect.
  • yahwehprofet
    yahwehprofet Members Posts: 976 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    from my lips to gods ear

rock and roll started cool and innocent 50's and 60's then evolved to straight up undeniably satanism..,,,,,

hip hop as well,,, still ppl be blind word to watne, hova, drake, lamar, these dudes are into occult practices that have been in place since before they were born,,,,, why would they change cuz of race or culture

ny ppl perish lack of knowledge
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    ayo no offense but nobody thats 28+ should be commenting
  • StillFaggyAF
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    the down era

Down low rappers
    every rapper wants to be Down with each other
    Down grade in hip hop quality

• dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The jilted generation.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Hip Hop Hipsters
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Migos?... (shrugs)
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The late 90s and early '00s the south took over and you had a lot of club music and crunk music. This defined a good deal of the decade (circa 1998-2007). During this time, you had neosoul and indie rap (the Mos/Talib/Roots/Badu/D'Angelo coalition, plus Def Jux) that was in a lot of ways at odds with what was popular at the time. They were the primary influences that Kanye West drew on. It was a more introspective brand of hip-hop.

Kanye West became popular and brought indie styles and introspection to the mainstream. But the club thing wasn't entirely replaced. The electropop explosion that Kanye helped bring about with 808s and Heartbreak (2008) just turned the club music from crunk inspired club music to electronic house/techno inspired club music. Other trends in pop had an influence on this too.

Drake drew influence from the slowed down introspective hip-hop of Kanye and continued in that path. I'd say the club music is moving away from the European inspired EDM to more domestic trap origins in the US at least (DJ Mustard, etc). On the whole, I think music is starting to slow down again. Respect for MC skill is all but absent.

The primary markers of the contemporary hip-hop aesthetic is atmosphere/introspection and heavy trap style beats (2008-2014). It's not clear if we'll see a revival of interest in MC skill, but the battle rap explosion in the underground is promising (since progressive indie styles tend to influence pop culture after a while). Who knows what's next. I like a lot of today's music in terms of the production, but it's lost its edge and lyricism, which I dislike.
  • za'kiss
    Options
    Turn up, hoe. Turn up Generation.

I wanna say it was

I think there are at least two popular styles in hip-hop right now though. Turn up music for the club, but there is also the introspective Kanye-inspired stuff out there too (Drake, Cole, Future, Weeknd, Kendrick and co). And I personally think the EDM influence on the club music is starting to fade (I see it as becoming more trap than EDM).
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    i describe this generation as

?

i don't get why people act like ? people ain't been around for years and years especially in the music industry. Rap ? was ? back in the 90s and 80s in hip hop it just was more underground. Biggie Birdman Wayne Diddy Mr Cee etc were from previous eras.

• za'kiss
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's not homosexuality that's the problem. That's a red herring. It's that rap today is "soft." This is pretty shocking if you think about it. Hip-hop always defined itself as being the ? , edgy, and explicit alternative to everything else in the culture. As a result, hip-hop is undergoing an identity crisis right now. That's why the underground battle rap scene is pushing back against this trend.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    za'kiss wrote: »
    It's not homosexuality that's the problem. That's a red herring. It's that rap today is "soft." This is pretty shocking if you think about it. Hip-hop always defined itself as being the ? , edgy, and explicit alternative to everything else in the culture. As a result, hip-hop is undergoing an identity crisis right now. That's why the underground battle rap scene is pushing back against this trend.

Inb4daylyt
  • gum989
    gum989 Members Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Why don't you MF'ers just NOT listen then. I'm in my mid 30's, and I'm still eager to here all the new ? this generation drops.

But ? that ? ? .
  • DOPEdweebz
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hip Hop Hipsters

The feminization of males (and the supposed "emonism" (yes I made that up) that has no correlation with it), the retro styles (apparently everyone loves everything 80s, and whoever was considered the kings of the 90s of every facet of life esp entertainment wise), the trolling, the ambiguity, the multiculturalism, the tattoos, the mainstream acceptance and commercialization of weed smoking, the gazelles, the beanies, snapbacks, the surbanites that try to emulate the hood ( like 98% of posters on some level, cuz ur parents grew up in the hood and moved you out of their so early you forget how non cool it is to be growing under those conditions in the first place and being hood doesnt make you more black, its actually something you dont need to be replicating), the hyper sexuality (butt buuuuuutt that ass doe!), the geekiness whether it be video games, wrestling, comic books, did I mention every hoe these days got a phat ass ..I mean by standard, the technology (self explanatory), vegan this organic that, the pseudo intellectuals (everybody knows everything cuz they spent a whole day researching it on google, wiki, and youtube), the pretentious and somehow at the same time quasi consciousness, the im 20 and imma grow a full beard but keep the pomade in my hair, everybody claiming to be different but ironically makes us all the same..ya we been hipsterized since 08 up to now.