On This Day In 1992, Dr. Dre Released The Greatest Rap Album Of All Time...The Chronic

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
dre-cover.jpg
back+5.jpg

Comments

• BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Greatest Rap Album Of All Time tho?

? > Chronic

no hate tho... great album
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This and ? were like an event. I don't think there's been a record label to this day, or before that dropped two culture moving classics back to back like this. Ain't too many real hip hop classics, but this has to be on the Mt. Rushmore of Hip-Hop albums. It just has to be.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea me and mysister rapeed this whole album from start to finish

and ? was a an event. ? were skipping school for that ?
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Classic album.

But two albums in 22 years, SMH
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    not the greatest album of all time, but still to this day it's an amazing album.....i prefer doggystlye, kinda crazy that this album is so classic and it might only be the fourth best album from death row
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't get it.

Dre produced several albums before The Chronic that are just as good if not better. But for some reason The Chronic gets all the love.

What about Eazy Duz It, Strait Outta Compton, No One Can Do It Better or Niggaz4life?

Strait Outta Compton >>>>
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like how you posted this at 12:15 Pacific time.

But no.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    THE 1ST CD I EVER OWNED
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I don't get it.

Dre produced several albums before The Chronic that are just as good if not better. But for some reason The Chronic gets all the love.

What about Eazy Duz It, Strait Outta Compton, No One Can Do It Better or Niggaz4life?

I THINK THIS ALBUM GETS ALL THE LOVE B/C IT LEAD THE DEATH ROW MOVEMENT.

• just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aged like whine.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't get it.

All those you listed are classics but ill take the chronic over them but ? >>>Chronic
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I remember the first time I saw the Nuthin' But a "G" Thang video. I was in my mother's room and one of those BET video shows was on. It had to be Video Music Box because I remember it being early in the afternoon.

All of my potnas had the tape, (I'm telling my age, but except for my boy Chuck who was a DJ, everybody bought cassette tapes.) I didn't buy music because I'd simply go over to Chuck's house and between him an my potna E, (who at the time literally bought every rap tape that was released,) I would eventually heard all the new music. Except for this tape. ? kept saying how tight the album was, but nobody was tryin' to let me hear it. ? kept hoggin the tape. It was about a week later that I finally got to hear The Chronic.

Since ? had begun smokin' blunts at that time (and ya boy doesn't smoke,) I remember thinkin' that The Chronic was weak as ? . It was only only after I saw a pack of Zigzags that I realized that The Chronic album cover was a cover swipe of the Zigzag package. Lyrical Gang is the best track on that album, followed by ? Wit Dre Day.

Play with my bone, would ya Timmy
    It seems like you're good for makin jokes about your jimmy
    But here's a jimmy joke about your mama that you might not like
    I heard she was the 'Frisco ?
    But ? your mama, I'm talkin about you and me
    Toe to toe, Tim M-U-T
    Your bark was loud, but your bite wasn't vicious
    And them rhymes you were kickin were quite bootylicious
    You get with Doggy Dogg oh is he crazy?
    With ya mama and your daddy hollin' Bay-Bee

Snoop killed Tim Dogg with those lyrics. First the Snoop gets on Tim Dogg's mama, then he's ? ? yo mama, let's get back on yo punk ass. Then gets Snoop back on Tim Dogg's parents. That ? still kills me every time I hear to this day.

What happened to the days when ? could freestyle and they were trying to be the best lyricist out. How you go from Snoop and Daz to garbage ass no flow and no lyric ass havin ? hollin' 'bout bakin soda reppin' yo town? SMMDH.
  • Mr_Vicodin81G
    Mr_Vicodin81G Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still bump this album at least once a week. One of my favorite albums
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Classic ? ....
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    classic...

going to post my collection when I get home
  • 5 Grand
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ya'll can wack me and troll me and Nosign me but the lyrics on The Chronic were average and with the exception of a few songs (Nuttin but a G thing, Let Me Ride) it was just a good album. I don't see what was so GREAT about it.

The production was tight and it sounded good sonically but I think The Chronic is overrated. I guess he brought a new sound, but the replay value is Meh.

Wu Tang's 36 Chambers album came one year later (11 months). The Chronic sounded better sonically, but Wu Tang could rap circles around the Death Row camp.

? =Snoop
    Otherwise Wu>>>>Death Row
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ya'll can wack me and troll me and Nosign me but the lyrics on The Chronic were average and with the exception of a few songs (Nuttin but a G thing, Let Me Ride) it was just a good album. I don't see what was so GREAT about it.

The production was tight and it sounded good sonically but I think The Chronic is overrated. I guess he brought a new sound, but the replay value is Meh.

Wu Tang's 36 Chambers album came one year later (11 months). The Chronic sounded better sonically, but Wu Tang could rap circles around the Death Row camp.

? =Snoop
    snoop_source.jpg
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lyrics aint everything, @5 Grand
  • _Menace_
    Options

? =Snoop

I like wu tang but....

you're comparing this

wu-tang_1386604639.jpg

to this

death-row-gang.jpg
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    _Menace_ wrote: »

? =Snoop

I like wu tang but....

you're comparing this

wu-tang_1386604639.jpg

to this

death-row-gang.jpg

What has anybody from Death Row done in the past 15 years?
  • _Menace_
    Options

? =Snoop

I like wu tang but....

you're comparing this

wu-tang_1386604639.jpg

to this

death-row-gang.jpg

the albums of deathrow have aged well and still selling.
  • 5 Grand
    Options

? =Snoop

I like wu tang but....

you're comparing this

wu-tang_1386604639.jpg

to this

death-row-gang.jpg

the albums of deathrow have aged well and still selling.

You didn't answer the question.
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great compilation album
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This albums was everywhere down here in Fort Lauderdale when it dropped in 1992. This album make me start drinking gin and calling these hoes, hoes. lol

It's probably my favorite album ever next to Aquemini.
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    great album

single song wise it doesnt get much replay other than let me ride and stranded on death row

but thats just me