Do you feel like Hip Hop is about to see a resurgence in socially aware music?

Options
L.O.S.T.
L.O.S.T. Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
With the recent success of J cole's album and the singles that Kendrick Lamar has been putting out, do you feel like we are in the verge of more mainstream music that is actually saying something?

Comments

• Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah maybe but we gonna have to support it too when it does drop although I have no faith that it would be mainstream
  • sr_the_freshman
    sr_the_freshman Members Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    What my ? Like Water.

White people who were just in it for the turn up are gonna be mad as ? .

Edit: Another point. Peep how album sales are shifting. Apparently, we live in an age where J. Cole album sales can damn near double Nicki Minaj album sales, first week.

Cole is damn near 400k out the gate. Pink Print is only looking at 200k if that allhiphop article is to be believed.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    I truly hope so. I think Lupe is about to do something amazing with his upcoming album. I'd like to see Killer Mike get some more shine. Common dropped a solid album last year. CyHi had a black power tape that was critically acclaimed. The thing that people fail to realize is most hip-hop heads aren't saying that there's something wrong with your Bobby Shmurdas, Migos, Rick Ross type rappers. There's a lane for that. Most of us are upset because there's a lack of balance with the game presently. It's like a 95/5 ratio of turn up to socially conscious music in the hip-hop genre as far as the mainstream is concerned.

That ? is unacceptable. We at least need 60/40 to right the ship again. And black people aren't stupid. Even the ones that listen to mindless music all day long aren't buying albums. They know that ? is trash. They're not gonna waste their dough on a product with 14 songs when they only care about maybe three of them. If you push a product that is a better representation of people, black and brown specifically, you'll see a better return on your investment. Not only that, but it'll force artists to be more cognizant of what they're putting their music.

The hip-hop genre is filled with older, casual fans who don't use the Internet to find new talent, so to them the genre is dead/dying. If music with a message is pushed to the forefront again, instead of being an afterthought, they'll be more than willing to open their wallets.

post of the year
  • L.O.S.T.
    Options
    What my ? Like Water.

Nothing wrong with turn up music. It just seems that's the majority of music that's played. I hope thaws artists bring a little more balance to the force
  • sr_the_freshman
    sr_the_freshman Members Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    L.O.S.T. wrote: »
    What my ? Like Water.

Nothing wrong with turn up music. It just seems that's the majority of music that's played. I hope thaws artists bring a little more balance to the force

I agree, I'm just saying we've also assimilated a ? demographic of fans who don't have the culture's best interest in mind, and are only using our music as a conduit for party and ? all the time.

If OP trend is to be believed, then the balance may be coming back, and people who were only listening for the buffoonery will fall back.

Nothing wrong with a little turn up. It's the people that it attracts that can be problematic for the game as a whole.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    What my ? Like Water.

Edit: Another point. Peep how album sales are shifting. Apparently, we live in an age where J. Cole album sales can damn near double Nicki Minaj album sales, first week.

Cole is damn near 400k out the gate. Pink Print is only looking at 200k if that allhiphop article is to be believed.

Crazy thing about that, Every white person I know thats into hip hop are now just underground heads. they asking the same questions we are, "wheres the social/political songs in the mainstream like there was before. I think thats a misconception sometimes that, white fans just like that commerical/club stuff. The real hip hop fans not the casual ones
  • Ghost313
    Ghost313 Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There has always been Common, Mos Def, Dead Prez, Killer Mike,Banner,Talib, Lupe speaking on these issues, just not widely known. With recent events, I believe a lot of artists and consumers are more selective and aware.
  • L.O.S.T.
    Options
    Ghost313 wrote: »
    There has always been Common, Mos Def, Dead Prez, Killer Mike,Banner,Talib, Lupe speaking on these issues, just not widely known. With recent events, I believe a lot of artists and consumers are more selective and aware.

I know they exist but when is the last time one of those artists actually sold any albums or got mainstream attention?
    I manage a bunch of early to mid 20 year olds and they are excited about these these projects. First time I've seen this from them.
  • Ghost313
    Ghost313 Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    L.O.S.T. wrote: »
    Ghost313 wrote: »

I know they exist but when is the last time one of those artists actually sold any albums or got mainstream attention?
    I manage a bunch of early to mid 20 year olds and they are excited about these these projects. First time I've seen this from them.

Common is in the mainstream light often. He even performed at the White House. But I see what you are saying overall. Once upon a time there was NWA and Public Enemy leading the mainstream with socially aware music. I do believe that Kendrick is inspiring new and older artists to have a gut check.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope so. My fear is that there has been a generation of "hiphop" fans that grew up to snap music and ringtone trends. Will they be receptive enough to put down 2 Chainz for a minute to pick up something with real social commentary? Also I think with the recent events unfolding in the world, you're going to see a shift in the demographics of people that listen to rap/hip hop. Becky and Chad that usually only listened to rap to turn up are backing away. Being a ? seems to be out of fashion currently
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Socially aware/conscious music has always been in Hip-Hop, it's on the consumers to purchase that music, not download, stream, etc.
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope so, the evil forces tried to mess up the good music and ? up our brains, but the forces of good can never be stopped, the light will always shine.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    I truly hope so. I think Lupe is about to do something amazing with his upcoming album. I'd like to see Killer Mike get some more shine. Common dropped a solid album last year. CyHi had a black power tape that was critically acclaimed. The thing that people fail to realize is most hip-hop heads aren't saying that there's something wrong with your Bobby Shmurdas, Migos, Rick Ross type rappers. There's a lane for that. Most of us are upset because there's a lack of balance with the game presently. It's like a 95/5 ratio of turn up to socially conscious music in the hip-hop genre as far as the mainstream is concerned.

That ? is unacceptable. We at least need 60/40 to right the ship again. And black people aren't stupid. Even the ones that listen to mindless music all day long aren't buying albums. They know that ? is trash. They're not gonna waste their dough on a product with 14 songs when they only care about maybe three of them. If you push a product that is a better representation of people, black and brown specifically, you'll see a better return on your investment. Not only that, but it'll force artists to be more cognizant of what they're putting their music.

The hip-hop genre is filled with older, casual fans who don't use the Internet to find new talent, so to them the genre is dead/dying. If music with a message is pushed to the forefront again, instead of being an afterthought, they'll be more than willing to open their wallets.

This is true for me at least. I always cop albums by artists that I think make meaningful music that I want to see win.

I enjoy some ignorant ? to bang in the whip too, but usually I'm not at all compelled to support it with my wallet. kendrick, Krit, Cole, The Roots etc are all auto cop. Rick Ross is auto download.
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think so. The fact that music isn't selling seems to be giving artist far more create control over their albums than in years past. Just having a big single isn't enough anymore.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Its already out there. It all depends if you care to check it out on your own despite the non hype behind it.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the thread starter means mainstream.
    Guys like Kendrick , J.Cole, N Wale is out selling rappers rapping about nothing. No pun intended.
    Krizzle isnt huge yet he has a solid fan base, that the average rapper rapping about nothing dont have.

The game is coming into full circles and i love it.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    What is played on the radio is not what selling in 2014. People are still buying good music no matter if it's ignorance that's on the radio more
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In the mainstream yes

There was never a shortage though

most of it was just kept out of the media
    but at present there is definitely a growing popularity of social discourse in hip hop, probably because of all the activism taking place as of late
    It's more marketable right now

I've read that Generation Z (The 14-15 years olds and younger right now) are going to be a lot more socially conscious than generation Y and be a lot more involved in their communities and various charity type causes
    If this is true it won't surprise me that this becomes the norm