Sony Execs Warned Not To Cast Denzel Washington In Big Flicks Because Black Leads ‘Don’t Play Well’

Options

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So for everyone saying this isn't racist, how about someone not hiring a young black man as a salesman because generally, "people are less comfortable around black men" and the sales will be lower? And there are millions of other examples I and others can come up with.

The conditioning is real. You're supporting them and don't even know it.

nah ? ..
    yo subservient ass is supporting them and dont even know it..

how bout buildin.. havin yo own??
    that ever cross ur mind??

Bruh... what? Stay on topic. What the producer said was misinformed and racist.

no it wasnt..
    he's talkin about targeted demographics and maximizing profits..

but IM the one who needs "education in business"?!?! hahaha
    yeh okay..

Lol at this ? idiot focus on being a fake internet ? because your thinking skills are woat.

From our perspective him making maximum profits without casting black people does not help us.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    So for everyone saying this isn't racist, how about someone not hiring a young black man as a salesman because generally, "people are less comfortable around black men" and the sales will be lower? And there are millions of other examples I and others can come up with.

nah ? ..

no it wasnt..

yeh okay..

Lol at this ? idiot focus on being a fake internet ? because your thinking skills are woat.

From our perspective him making maximum profits without casting black people does not help us.

how bout helpin urself??
    i know the idea os foreign to u..

and u wonder why people like u gets no respect. lol & smh
  • CapitalB
    Options
    ol "why wont the white man help us" ass ? ..

why should he be obligated??
    for ? that never had ? yall sure do feel entitled to everything. smh
  • CapitalB
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    for ? that never had ? yall sure do feel entitled to everything. smh

you sound like a kracker

nah..
    jus sound like a go getter..
    a ? that reaps rewards cause he takes chamces makes sacrifices..

a do it by any means muthafucka..
    somethin yall punch the clock ? will never understand..

• antoseeg
    antoseeg Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    To me, this just seems like an acknowledgment of racism, not racism itself.

I don't get this train of thought. How is not hiring someone because of race, not racism?

Do they need to hang a 'whites only' sign on the casting call building for it to be racist? When does it start being racist?

Your argument would be good if everything were equal, and if movie investors had an infinite amount of money to invest, but this is not the case.

The amount of funds movie investors have to invest are limited, and all movies don't make the same profits. The kind of movie a person chooses to invest in determines their return on investment, and it makes perfect sense for an investor not to want to tie their money up in a project that is not going to give them the highest return on investment.

Even though it may be morally satisfying to some people to hire Denzel Washington without taken into account his economic potential in comparison to everybody else, it doesn't change the fact that there are other movies to invest in that make way more money than his movies do.
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Denzel washington can sell overseas.he grossed 191 million cmon now!!dude is a superstar just like these white big time actors.some of these big white actors arent selling tickets like Denzel and these people want to discredit this man's statue?cmon now!!
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man look...black people arent entitled if they want to continue to see Denzel star in films the ? is a proven box office star

and for all that pseudo ? speak
    aa7167520d8d8be0c119080bfedf56aa.gif
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn though, if Denzel can't even get cast then who can? He's arguably the biggest and most known black actor there is. Will Smith might be the only one bigger than him.
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruhs,

Denzel is 59 years old. The only part he may be up for in the future is Bad Grandpa 2

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/83/? _Presents_Bad_Grandpa.jpg[/img]
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options

If an employer acceded to customers' preferences like that that wouldn't necessarily make it racist. It would be wrong, yes, but not necessarily racist.
  • antoseeg
    antoseeg Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Some people seem to be confusing Denzel's popularity and acting ability with economic achievement. For decades there have been multiple movies every year that have grossed over 500 million dollars, and Denzel has never had a movie past the 300 million mark.

Denzel gets consistent box office numbers, but his consistent numbers have never been high in comparison to all the other movies that Hollywood studios put out.
  • Copper
    Options

If an employer acceded to customers' preferences like that that wouldn't necessarily make it racist. It would be wrong, yes, but not necessarily racist.
    if their preferences are racist it would be
  • A Talented One
    Options

I don't get this train of thought. How is not hiring someone because of race, not racism?

Do they need to hang a 'whites only' sign on the casting call building for it to be racist? When does it start being racist?

It's discrimination and it is wrong. But neither necessarily makes it racist.
  • Darth Sidious
    edited December 2014
    Options
    How about looking at the raw numbers and see where they are wrong.

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross

The highest ranked film with a black lead that I found was #79 'I am Legend' (2007)- Will Smith ( not Denzel )

*Correction #43 'Independence Day' (1996) - Will Smith ( not denzel )

A lot of actors ( this may be a surprise ) care more about the movie than the revenue it generates, Denzel is one of those. He might not want to be in the next transformers movie and that is totally cool.

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

nah ? ..

no it wasnt..

yeh okay..

how bout helpin urself??
    i know the idea os foreign to u..

and u wonder why people like u gets no respect. lol & smh

we are supposed to build our own economic and media infrastructure and also enjoy the mainstream benefits of society you ? idiot.
  • A Talented One
    Options

Whose preferences? The customers? If so, I disagree. The employer might just be concerned with making money and actually against the preferences of its customers. That would still be wrong, but not racist.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    antoseeg wrote: »
    Some people seem to be confusing Denzel's popularity and acting ability with economic achievement. For decades there have been multiple movies every year that I have grossed over 500 million dollars, and Denzel has never had a movie past the 300 million mark.

Denzel gets consistent box office numbers, but his consistent numbers have never been high in comparison to all the other movies that Hollywood studios put out.
    if u do the reasearch. only
    Certian movie genres, do those type of numbers consistently. The super heroes alien action robot type flicks etc.
    .Denzel never did those type of movies.
    infact, if u do the reasearch, the genres Denzel do part take in, most of his movies do better than the average movies, in that paticular genre.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options

It's discrimination and it is wrong. But neither necessarily makes it racist.

WOW!! ...? wow

Really??

Yo imma leave this thread before I get heated
  • Copper
    Options

Whose preferences? The customers? If so, I disagree. The employer might just be concerned with making money and actually against the preferences of its customers. That would still be wrong, but not racist.

if the customers preferences are racist and the company sets rules based on said preferences then those rules are racist
  • A Talented One
    Options

if the customers preferences are racist and the company sets rules based on said preferences then those rules are racist

No. That would make the rules discriminatory, but not necessarily racist.

How would the rules become racist (as opposed to merely racially discriminatory)?
  • Darth Sidious
    Options
    Bruhs,

Denzel is 59 years old. The only part he may be up for in the future is Bad Grandpa 2

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/83/? _Presents_Bad_Grandpa.jpg[/img]

charlie-murphy-slap-o.gif

Lol, that stung a bit when I hit you with that didn't it? :)

It's okay, it's natural for a ? -made man like you to have feelings. Get in them!