Before the Grammy Awards drop in a month in a half, let us enlighten ourselves

Options
KillaCham
KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
edited December 2014 in The Reason
"Who gives a ? about a ? Grammy?" - Chuck D
The article I'm posting below is titled 10 Reasons The Grammys Are As White As You Think They Are. I bolded the most important aspects but the entire article is a very enlightening read. I'll let it speak for itself.

HISTORICALLY:

1. Fewer than 20 percent of Album of the Year awards have gone to black artists
Since the very first ceremony in 1959, only 10 of the 56 awards handed out for Album of the Year have gone black artists (and three of the 10 went to Stevie Wonder), a number that woefully under-represents the influence black artists have had on the music industry. While it might seem logical to assume that the rate would at least be increasing, the last of those was in 2008, for Herbie Hancock's River: The Joni Letters.

2. It took them 10 years to recognize rap
The Best Rap Performance category was launched in 1989, 30 years after the ceremony first began and a decade after the genre first charted, and it's been missing the mark since the start. The first Rap Performance award was won by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, gaining criticism from fans who argued N.W.A's Straight Outta Compton and Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back were both more formative and ultimately influential albums.

Things haven't gotten much better. Earlier this year, when Macklemore won Best Rap Album over Kendrick Lamar, he was embarrassingly embarrassed, to the point where he texted Lamar an apology and infamously posted it for the world to see. As Drake subsequently pointed out, that was a questionable and pretty cowardly move, but it also provided an awkward glimpse into how artists in the genre's inner circle feel about what it means to win a Grammy today. "This is how the world works," Drake said, tacitly acknowledging the politics at play. "Whether people wanna say it's racial, or whether it's just the fact that [Macklemore] tapped into something we can't tap into."

3. Only three Album of the Year awards have ever been given to hip-hop records
Hip-hop albums often get stuck in the rap categories, and don't have the same chances when it comes to competing for the big titles. The last hip-hop record to win Album of the Year was OutKast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below in 2004. In the years since, Kanye West's Late Registration lost out to U2; Lil Wayne's Tha Carter III lost out to Robert Plant and Alison Krauss; Frank Ocean's channel ORANGE lost out to Mumford and Sons, and Kendrick Lamar's good kid, m.A.A.d city was skipped over for Daft Punk. This year, no hip-hop albums were nominated.

4. Kanye hasn't been up for Album of the Year since Graduation
Of all these snubs, Yeezy's feels the most prolonged. For a while, the Grammys treated West favorably: The College Dropout and Graduation were, like Late Registration, both nominated for Album of the Year, despite not winning. But 2008 marked West's last nomination for Album of the Year. 808s & Heartbreak didn't receive a nod for either Album of the Year or Best Rap Album; My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Watch The Throne and Yeezus—according to Metacritic, the three most critically acclaimed albums he has ever made—were only nominated for the latter category, not the more prestigious former. Metacritic also determined that Yeezus, despite suffering diminishing sales figures after its release, was overall the most critically acclaimed album of 2013. But Album of the Year that year went to inoffensive English folk group Mumford and Sons, whose Babel was the highest-selling debut album in the US in 2012, despite having a much lower critical score.

West, who has never stopped short of saying what's on his mind when it comes to sacred American institutions and their gatekeepers, offered a salient critique during a Yeezus concert in 2013. "? those nominations!" he told the crowd, speaking of the Best Rap Album and Best Rap Song tips he had just received. "I'm 36 years old and I have 21 Grammys. That's the most Grammys of any 36-year-old. Out of all of those 21 Grammys, I've never won a Grammy against a white artist… What are they trying to say? Do they think that I wouldn't notice?"

5. The people picking the winners are out of touch
Last year, the journalist Rob Kenner shed light on what it's like to be a Grammy voter, and why the system has such a skewed perspective. There are two rounds of voting, of which Kenner takes part in the first, and which sees every voter in the Recording Academy being given the ability to vote in most categories, whether or not they know anything about them. "Bottom line: the vast majority of the nominations are chosen by people who have little real expertise in a given field. I refrained from voting in heavy metal and classical because I know very little about those genres. But I could have if I wanted to, and that strikes me as a problem."

This leads to bigger names amassing more votes purely because of their visibility. "Famous people tend to get more votes from clueless Academy members, regardless of the quality of their work," Kenner explained. "This is especially true in specialized categories like reggae and, to a lesser extent, hip-hop, where many voting members of the Recording Academy (who tend to skew older than the demographic for rap music) may not be well acquainted with the best releases in any given year." The final nominees and winners are then determined by a secret committee, who have the power to override the votes in the big four categories as well as those for Gospel, Country, R&B, Latin, Jazz, and Music Video (notably not Rap). Critics over the years have observed that this committee's choices seem to be more concerned with TV ratings than they are with fair representation of artists.

Comments

• Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Saw this the other day

True af that people with no knowledge of the genre are the ones who's supposed to vote.

Its obvious and I'm kinda shocked that rappers still don't know that award shows are rigged
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's why we need to embrace our award shows more (Source awards, Soul Train awards, etc). I personally blame Kanye for throwing fits and putting the Grammy on a higher pedestal than it should be in hip hop. Before ? used to just not go to the shows or ? rush it ODB style. Now it's this whole big thing cuz the obvious carefully selected white artist got more recognition than a Black artist that wouldn't have been given the time of day otherwise.
  • KillaCham
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    021212-grammys-whitney-houston-623.jpg

628x471.jpg

6992709d093e247

TLC-Grammy-StraightfromtheA-e1382433982123.jpg

outkast-grammys-650-430-b.jpg

2229827-e1361831592358.jpg

michael-jackson-grammy-quincy-jones.jpg

jacksonx.jpg
    Nice pictures but what is this supposed to mean?
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    KillaCham wrote: »

628x471.jpg

6992709d093e247

jacksonx.jpg

Not much just didnt want this thread to be all negative but one thing in common with all of the pictures I posted is they all put out GREAT music and got what they deserved. A lot of those cats at the Grammys dont view Rap as "music" so it is what it is. They did finally give us a category so gotta be grateful for that I guess. We cant expect them to pick out the greatest rap album of the year when most of the time its only made for us right?
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    @cham he is trying to imply that black people do win Grammy's by showing off the most obvious biggest stars.
  • KillaCham
    Options

628x471.jpg

6992709d093e247

jacksonx.jpg

Not much just didnt want this thread to be all negative but one thing in common with all of the pictures I posted is they all put out GREAT music and got what they deserved. A lot of those cats at the Grammys dont view Rap as "music" so it is what it is. They did finally give us a category so gotta be grateful for that I guess. We cant expect them to pick out the greatest rap album of the year when most of the time its only made for us right?
    Oh good ? . I thought you were missing the point somehow. It is great to see those artists who do get recognized for the great music they create. I feel like Beyonce is the exception and one main reason the 'Urban' category was created. 15 of her 17 Grammys have been in R&B and Urban categories. I feel like the Urban category was made as a sub-sect so black people have somewhere to be guaranteed to win something. Seems you have to have a huuuuge and undeniable presence in the industry to be a black artist and win in the big categories. Those are great pics though.
  • Stew
    Options
    Didnt even know there was a "Urban" category. Sad.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options

628x471.jpg

6992709d093e247

jacksonx.jpg

The only rap artist u put up there was outkast. And they had the biggest album that year based on pop singles like "hey ya"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Stew
    Options

628x471.jpg

6992709d093e247

jacksonx.jpg

The only rap artist u put up there was outkast. And they had the biggest album that year based on pop singles like "hey ya"

Sorry bro

grammys.jpg

coolio-grammys-features.jpg

036d4707bea9f1a14c1c952e95e9cc32.620x400x1.jpg

drake-grammy.jpg

common-grammy.jpg

3438429.jpg

4f1dbd4556582.image.jpg?resize=300%2C382

73294923.jpg?enlarge=false&matte=true&matteColor=black&quality=0.85

Happy now?
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Grammys is irrelevant if you like hip hop big and pac never won a grammy.
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? the Grammys. This topic happens every year.

They dont even show any of the rap or r&b awards on tv anyways. They get that ? out the way before the show starts
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    U honestly don't think its rigged?

Even after reading the op? U can post a bunch of white washed friendy artists like drake and will smith but where is Kendrick? Snoop? Cole?

Rappers that actually deserve Grammy's for their hsrd work and not because they are popular amongst whites or more marketable
  • Stew
    Options

628x471.jpg

6992709d093e247

jacksonx.jpg

• Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    All this is well known and been known(well to me atleast) but some people continue to get ? off and surprised about it every year. Eminem relapse beat out Qtips the renaissance(which is way better), didnt see any outrage then.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • dakidfrankie
    dakidfrankie Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I may be out of touch...but why do people care about the grammy awards so much?
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I may be out of touch...but why do people care about the grammy awards so much?

normal people don't give a ? about a grammy, then you have internet nerds that cry into their keyboards when their favorite rapper loses, ? is sad.

• Stew
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    @Stew‌ We don't need to be "grateful" for ? . That's sucka ? . The music landscape would be wack as ? without contributions from black people. There would be no rock, no roll, no pop, no jazz, no country, no blues... What that leave? Classical? Aiight. I'll give you ? Chopin, Beethoven, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Mozart, etc., etc. (I played trumpet and sax in my high school band. Love classical.)

But you know what "being grateful" says to me? It says: "Yeah, despite us being the major driving force behind music we're just happy to be tossed a couple leftovers. At least we got something!" What?! How is that acceptable to you? ? ... Are... Tired. I know I am. They've already outsourced us from all the other genres. Rap and R&B is all we got left.

But you should never be complacent with getting less than you deserve.

U right, I should have left that part out lol
  • [Deleted User]
    Options