Rappers that need to prove more in their legacy?

Options
Ear2DaSt
Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
Rappers you feel need to prove more in their legacy music wise?

Comments

• LOLCL
    LOLCL Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Nas jay & definitely eminem
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Love Below, even with all the synching up it does, still doesn't stand the test of time. At all. Luda, I concur there's always something lacking. It's like his albums will be riding then you'll hit some randomness that just feels out of place. Theater of the Mind was borderline classic.

Method Man co-runs this thread, though. I can still listen to 36 Chambers and come out expecting a ? album like a fiend. Then I listen to Tical and forget its that same beast.

Other side of this thread is Busta Rhymes. Said it a million and one times here: Busta's features are better than anybody's in Hip Hop. Period. Only person close is Ludacris. Unfortunately, none of that translates to his albums. You got banging singles and ? in between. He needs one big-ass cohesive front to back bomb. Maybe work with a single producer and see what happens.
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Co sign ? and busta flawless as mc's but underwhelming when it comes to albums

Andre 3000 doesn't belong in this convo. I've said it before I'll say it again ? need to stop detracting from the mans legacy for not dropping the solo album he's never had any intention of making.

But busta bus really owns this thread 20 years in the game and still active but no definitive classic. I can only think of snoop and nas as rappers who have been mainstream as long and are still somewhat relevant but you will never hear busta mentioned alongside legendary artistes like them.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are yall serious? Busta has nothin left to prove.
    The Coming
    When Disaster Strikes
    Extinction Level Event
    Anarchy
    Genesis
    The Big Bang
    All nice albums from Busta. Not even counting his albums with Leaders Of The New School. Dude can retire and have a nice track record. Method Man had 3 good solo albums Tical, Tical 2000, and 4:21 the day after. Not as much as Busta but dude still has a nice career
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Coming
    When Disaster Strikes
    Extinction Level Event
    Anarchy
    Genesis
    The Big Bang
    All nice albums from Busta. Not even counting his albums with Leaders Of The New School. Dude can retire and have a nice track record. Method Man had 3 good solo albums Tical, Tical 2000, and 4:21 the day after. Not as much as Busta but dude still has a nice career

Cosign, those albums are all 4 mics. I think @ Knights was saying he doesn't have a 5 mic classic.
  • sapp08_2001
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    The Coming
    When Disaster Strikes
    Extinction Level Event
    Anarchy
    Genesis
    The Big Bang

Cosign, those albums are all 4 mics. I think @ Knights was saying he doesn't have a 5 mic classic.

Maybe he should bump The Coming because that was his classic imo
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Game he is just kind of a middleman
    The Lox individually everyone has a place but the group could have been better
    Lupe can still be know as one of the greatest wit 2-3 great albums
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jadakiss - Just don't think he has the talent musically to make a great album.

Method Man - Still waiting for that crystal ? album, he has nothing to prove as an MC it would be good if we can get one more album tho.

Dr Dre - how long have we been waiting now? dre should have kept his mouth shut about detox, 2001 was incredible he can't mess with us like this, release that ? already!

• sapp08_2001
    Options
    The_Man wrote: »

Method Man - Still waiting for that crystal ? album, he has nothing to prove as an MC it would be good if we can get one more album tho.

Dr Dre - how long have we been waiting now? dre should have kept his mouth shut about detox, 2001 was incredible he can't mess with us like this, release that ? already!

Cant expect much from either one on the list as far as solos go. Dre enjoyin his dough. Method Man will be comin wit that Blackout 3 with Red but as far as Crystal Method album its on How High 2 status if u know what i mean. And Jadakiss seems to be focusing more on The Lox than another solo LP. Not mad at either one tho. Theyve all given us some good ? to knock for years.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jadakiss I mean this is one dude that needs to get with one producer lock in and get busy. He has the talent he has the fan base. He needs to stop trying to please everyone on the album and cater to his core fans. But no swizz on the album
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    to be honest i dont even know any name of fabolous albums and i consider him top 30 doa.
    yeah i know street dreams
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    atleast method man can say i killed pac and biggie on their own ?
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jadakiss is a good one...i know so many ppl love him but his albums are lackluster

royce da 5'9...i've listened to most of his new joint but dudes thought of as having one of the best flows in the biz but theres something lacking on his albums

fab is a good one, i really like fab but no classics under his belt

lloyd banks, so much hype before the first album but not doing any actual albums in awhile and subpar last album doesn't make it seem like he's the best that g unit had to offer

not that any of these guys are legends but for all the hype around them and love that people give them, they need to step up to solidify themselves
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Co-sign most rappers listed so far. I think someone could make an argument for Eminem. That top 5 emcee debate with Chris Rock really gave me insight. Why wasn't Eminem mentioned once? I think Eminem has yet to really demonstrate the same level of artistic growth and consistency his peers like Nas, Black Thought and Jay have.

Royce is another one. I think he's a lot more consistent than Em. He has a decent size fan base but he's just missing something.

Beanie Sigel is the only R.O.C rapper I thought would be mentioned in the same league as Jay. Especially after that battle with Kiss. Unfortunately, I don't think he's in the mind state to make great music. The B comming, is easily his best effort. He could have had a top discography if he kept dropping albums like that.

Joe Budden out of all the rappers I mentioned, Joey probably has the best catalog. If he keeps it up, I think he'll go down as a legend.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
  • antoseeg
    antoseeg Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »
    jadakiss is a good one...i know so many ppl love him but his albums are lackluster

royce da 5'9...i've listened to most of his new joint but dudes thought of as having one of the best flows in the biz but theres something lacking on his albums

fab is a good one, i really like fab but no classics under his belt

lloyd banks, so much hype before the first album but not doing any actual albums in awhile and subpar last album doesn't make it seem like he's the best that g unit had to offer

not that any of these guys are legends but for all the hype around them and love that people give them, they need to step up to solidify themselves

If you want Lloyd Banks classic album material, and I'm not kidding when I say this, go get his mixtapes. Below is my favorite Banks song. This song could of been a single, and Banks released it on a mixtape that he barely promoted and didn't release a video for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXaqoml7uNY
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Method Man hasn't dropped a classic album. He goes harder on features than his own albums. He's still that dude though.
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^ true he has the tools to do it, some consider tical a classic.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I didn't consider it a classic. I remember when I was 16 and bought it. I remember being underwhelmed.
  • FourEfil
    FourEfil Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KNiGHTS wrote: »
    Love Below, even with all the synching up it does, still doesn't stand the test of time. At all. Luda, I concur there's always something lacking. It's like his albums will be riding then you'll hit some randomness that just feels out of place. Theater of the Mind was borderline classic.

Method Man co-runs this thread, though. I can still listen to 36 Chambers and come out expecting a ? album like a fiend. Then I listen to Tical and forget its that same beast.

Other side of this thread is Busta Rhymes. Said it a million and one times here: Busta's features are better than anybody's in Hip Hop. Period. Only person close is Ludacris. Unfortunately, none of that translates to his albums. You got banging singles and ? in between. He needs one big-ass cohesive front to back bomb. Maybe work with a single producer and see what happens.

Busta has Future Without a Past, T.I.M.E., The Coming, When Disaster Strikes & E.L.E. That's enough for me
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    50 cent

T.i

Jeezy
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think K.B Da Kidnappa needs 1 more mixtape to solidify his place in history as a legendary ? ? .

You know he supposedly retired