Jay-Z Speaks On Race! "We're More Alike Than We're Separate"

Options

Comments

• D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    The video is more profound that I thought it would be. Talking about the impact of hip-hop on race relations and saying that it brings people together and makes racism more difficult..it's a very good premise and I respect that statement.

I think we see a lot of how hip-hop has stitched race relations and we also see the consequence of it.
    Can u please give me a detail explanation, of how hiphop is fixing race relations?

Hiphop is on a long list of music cultures that blacks created, and other ppl love n eventually take. Jazz was the biggest genre at one point, so was Rock, and so was Soul music and motown.
    Did those other genres fix race relations??

Do people coming together to root for Lebron or Cam Newton also fix race relations?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He definitely has a point. He definitely profoundly exaggerates that point, but he has a point, nonetheless.

Yep
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    The video is more profound that I thought it would be. Talking about the impact of hip-hop on race relations and saying that it brings people together and makes racism more difficult..it's a very good premise and I respect that statement.

I think we see a lot of how hip-hop has stitched race relations and we also see the consequence of it.
    Can u please give me a detail explanation, of how hiphop is fixing race relations?

Hiphop is on a long list of music cultures that blacks created, and other ppl love n eventually take. Jazz was the biggest genre at one point, so was Rock, and so was Soul music and motown.

Do people coming together to root for Lebron or Cam Newton also fix race relations?

Fix never but improve. Ray Charles and other artist boycotting the south until they integrated helped. It won't reach everyone but many of the white Motown fans are cool with Black people
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

---->
    Say What wrote: »

Fix never but improve. Ray Charles and other artist boycotting the south until they integrated helped. It won't reach everyone but many of the white Motown fans are cool with Black people

That's what ? don't get. No such thing as a silver bullet on societal issues.
  • D0wn
    Options

During slavery, Many white ppl were cool with Blk PpL also.
    So that's what it boils down to,
    Having some white ppl liking ? ?

Black students, attending and graduating college is, at an all time high. yet, 68% of new African american college graduates,are either unemployed or under employed.

But hey, on my way to work today. i sat next to a white girl, on the train. she was listening to rap just like me.
    Strangely, She turned to me and smiled, and asked if i love Kanye, i smiled back and a conversation ensues.
    come to find out, we went to the same school,and graduated with the same degree. She works at a firm , me at a McDonalds.

But hey #GoodRaceRelations. I doubt me, and her would of talked in the 50's.
  • Say What
    Options

Black students, attending and graduating college is, at an all time high. yet, 68% of new African american college graduates,are either unemployed or under employed.

But hey, on my way to work today. i sat next to a white girl, on the train. she was listening to rap just like me.
    Strangely, She turned to me and smiled, and asked if i love Kanye, i smiled back and a conversation ensues.
    come to find out, we went to the same school,and graduated with the same degree. She works at a firm , me at a McDonalds.

I took Jay to mean day to day racism. Systematic racism still exist and will take a while to fall. I'm sure we have it better one than previous era's. It will only continue. Blame yourself for working at McDonald's. She might of had some hookups but you made your own luck if you have the same degree and work at McDonald's
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    I agree with him 100%

Hip-Hop is pop music now, it has transcended to even a global level now. He's right we all work towards goals, we like similar women, we can agree with certain things and we can find that in conversation. Racism is a learned behavior IMO. It's hard to tell your kids there's something wrong with Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Nas and figures like that when they look up to them. ? on here will act like they don't have friends from different races and cultures for cosigns and GOATs but what Hov's saying is true. Granted yes there are some differences but on a human level we are very much the same.

Wait till the militant posters on here catch wind of this, they gonna go out of their way to tell you otherwise and how Hov is a ? SMMFH.

Black people are at the bottom of almost every society where other people live in significant numbers. States, UK, Canada, Brasil, Mexico, South Africa(population numbers saving it), Morocco, PR, Bahamas, Jamaica, Guyana, Iraq, India, etc etc.

How is everybody being human(duh) is helping?
  • hiphop12345
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    It's not as cut and paste as he puts it, obviously we have some work to do. But we as a people always created something that eased the social tensions and brought people together, and hip hop was the best outlet thus far. Now if we can only figure out a way to maintain it.

You maintain it by controlling your economy and competing. People respect power, fighting spirit, guts. Begging people to show in they stores, begging people for basic human rights is WEAK. Japanese Americans got an apology from the U.S before the 2nd largest Population, an original American population that was legal chattel. Why was that the case? Power, ECONOMICS.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    where you at Tomp
  • jono
    Options

---->

The only way to IMPROVE race relations, is by IMPROVING your economy...
    No goofy as music will IMPROVE a damn thing.
    If more respectable genres such as Jazz, Blues, Rock, Funk,Reggae etc. Did not improve race relations.
    a senior on stage, rapping about drugs he sold 30 years ago will???
    Most rappers are minstrel performers.

Blk ppl being economically independent and self sufficient, is how race relations will improve.

Except your wrong and they have. Bob Marley brought people of all races and nationalities together, so did Duke Ellington, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, Michael Jackson, Tupac, Kanye, Beyoncé, Jay-Z, and even the Wu-Tang Clan these are well known Black acts that have the power to branch across race or nationality, hell some of them have more white fans than black ones.

You have been disproven but you can continue to rant and rave on the subject all day if you want. Again, there's no silver bullets and nobody claimed that hip-hop is one, but to say that it doesn't help is a lie, a flat lie.

To say race relations in the United States is the same today as it was in Ellington's time or the heyday of The Temptations is also a lie and music has helped tremendously with that.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a farce to think we should all get along, I respect you, you respect me, you don't ? with me, I don't ? with you. Expecting anything more is delusional.
    Is the system perfect? No, but there's plenty of opportunities Negroes aren't taking advantage of. And, there's plenty of fuckery in this white racist society too.
    Just because you have more money than me doesn't make your opinion more valid, you're an outlier not the median bruh.
  • D0wn
    Options

I took Jay to mean day to day racism. Systematic racism still exist and will take a while to fall. I'm sure we have it better one than previous era's. It will only continue. Blame yourself for working at McDonald's. She might of had some hookups but you made your own luck if you have the same degree and work at McDonald's
    so we both agree, systematic racism exist , and is prevalent in our society.
    Since its prevlant in our society, you're telling me it's not prevelant in our day to day life ???

And u missed the whole point of my analogy. Despite blacks going to school, and graduating, interacting with whites in a freindly manner
    we still are not equal, and will never b, so how can race relations improve without equality?

I guess goofy rappers will...

• KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Jay-Z. This ? is fake giving a ? . Foh
  • hiphop12345
    Options

---->

If more respectable genres such as Jazz, Blues, Rock, Funk,Reggae etc. Did not improve race relations.

Blk ppl being economically independent and self sufficient, is how race relations will improve.

Except your wrong and they have. Bob Marley brought people of all races and nationalities together, so did Duke Ellington, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, Michael Jackson, Tupac, Kanye, Beyoncé, Jay-Z, and even the Wu-Tang Clan these are well known Black acts that have the power to branch across race or nationality, hell some of them have more white fans than black ones.

You have been disproven but you can continue to rant and rave on the subject all day if you want. Again, there's no silver bullets and nobody claimed that hip-hop is one, but to say that it doesn't help is a lie, a flat lie.

To say race relations in the United States is the same today as it was in Ellington's time or the heyday of The Temptations is also a lie and music has helped tremendously with that.
    Why the Japanese didn't need some of the greatest musicians of all time? Where's the Persian Bob Marley, the Armenian Duke Ellington? How many Black people still can't get into a club while Hip Hop music is being played?

Now music can bring people together but what does that do? Most of Latin America music was created by Black people yet when you think of Latin America you don't even think of Black people so how did the music save Black Latino's? You don't think the cop who murdered Eric didn't grow up on some Jigga what, Jigga who?

D0wn I didn't read you post before but I co sign big time.

People are scared to compete.
  • D0wn
    Options

---->

:30-1:30
    http://youtu.be/cOxOR3x8FBQ

You forgot to add that, Barak, Michelle, and daughters. improved race relations in America as well.
  • Say What
    Options

Since its prevlant in our society, you're telling me it's not prevelant in our day to day life ???

And u missed the whole point of my analogy. Despite blacks going to school, and graduating, interacting with whites in a freindly manner
    we still are not equal, and will never b, so how can race relations improve without equality?

I don't deal with racism every day. I know it exist in parts of our society. I also feel we are closer than ever and that's progress
  • hiphop12345
    edited January 2015
    Options

I don't deal with racism every day. I know it exist in parts of our society. I also feel we are closer than ever and that's progress

Why the wealth gap is widening? Also what's closer, people being able to ? without getting lynched?
  • D0wn
    Options

What is your personal definition of racism??
  • Say What
    Options

Why the wealth gap is widening? Also what's closer, people being able to ? without getting lynched?

Wealth in that sense has no color. The owners of Wal-Mart don't care about poor white people. They are out for self. Same thing with Oprah and Jordan.
    Yeah that is progress. Also that you can decide to go to an HBCU instead of that being your only option.
  • jono
    Options

---->

Why the Japanese didn't need some of the greatest musicians of all time? Where's the Persian Bob Marley, the Armenian Duke Ellington? How many Black people still can't get into a club while Hip Hop music is being played?
    What the hell are you talking about, what clubs are Black people denied in despite hip-hop Being played?
    Now music can bring people together but what does that do? Most of Latin America music was created by Black people yet when you think of Latin America you don't even think of Black people so how did the music save Black Latino's? You don't think the cop who murdered Eric didn't grow up on some Jigga what, Jigga who?
    You scatterbrained bruh. Pick a topic and discuss it. All this issue mixing is irrelevant and you can't prove that the dude responsible for Garner's death is racist or that he listens to hip-hop as if that matters.

You reaching.

L. Americans have their own issues and once again you seem to think music or any one thing is going to change the entire world, which ? have said a multitude of times THERE ARE NO SILVER BULLETS, ? will NEVER be perfect. But once again, music definitely brings people together an you simply can't deny it.

What does Eric Garner have to do with this? How do you prove the bolded statement? You can't even prove that dude was racist let alone what his musical tastes are. Cut that ? out

Y'all ? have no argument.

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a generational thing imo. I think younger people for the most part don't see race like how our parents and grandparents saw it. Hiphop is one of the reason why along with the internet and the world being smaller now thanks to technology.
  • Say What
    Options

What is your personal definition of racism??

I can describe it in the simplist way as
    treating others inferior based on race.
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Save the "We are the world" same ? for people who don't read and know that we have been ? and continue to get ? in amerKKKa
  • raheemclassick
    raheemclassick Members Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reading some of the comments from people who want to be Revolutionary but only gripe when it suits there agenda. If you don't want improved Race relations with others outside of our Race, then take your so called bad ass out in the neighborhood and stop US from US, (Drugs, ? , Robbery, Murder, Etc) You see I know Black Revolutionaries & Separatist, and since they feel they have no need of other Races (White Etc..) they make sure all is well in their immediate Community. It's not as prevalent in all hoods as it should be, but it happens.