Comments

• 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Morris chesnut shot in the back lookin ? " deadh.gif
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Curiosity sent me to finally listen to Rap ? . Damn that ? trash.
  • spayspay
    spayspay Members Posts: 428 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought it was obvious to everyone that he was at worst just making reference to the song and at best paying homage.
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seems like a case at an easy come up. I'm not justifying the usage of the song if he didn't clear it through the proper channels, but it ain't worth $8 million
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So there not going to sue nikki minaj for stealing there whole song tho? ? boys at there finest

That's black on black lawsuit. What you on cuh.

You ol' he did it tooooo Fred Hammond lookin boy.
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    oh...so a black artist makes something that becomes popular, and a white person comes along and steals it without trying to give credit?

never seen that before
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They made it a wack song em made it a wack verse.
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    can anyone actually pin point where they sampled the hotstyle song ?? tempo wise they are similar but the elements in the song are different ...
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rap ? is a classic, lookin boy is trash. they shouldve been happy
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    chiyosuke wrote: »
    $8 million though... Laaaawd

That's jus a number they threw out there. More than likely they're looking to settle out of court.

• onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I listened to lookin boy again and allthough it's the same sound it's not really playing the same notes so I don't think it's actually a sample. It's like how on the fresh prince they made their own bootlegged version of billie jean but changed some notes so you could tell that the didn't use the original song. It's not a sample and I don't think this lawsuit will go anywhere.
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    antarticp wrote: »
    can anyone actually pin point where they sampled the hotstyle song ?? tempo wise they are similar but the elements in the song are different ...

i mean...did you listen to the ? ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

at @ 2:16, it starts.

That ? is hard to listen to though man. I don't blame him.
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Does this mean that Lil Wayne can be sued for every 'Dedication' mixtape?

This lawsuit is dumb as hell.
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rap ? is a classic, lookin boy is trash. they shouldve been happy

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

i think the difference here is that those dedication joints were given away for free. Wayne didnt profit off of those via a direct sale of the album, so he's not entitled to pay royalties

If you use anything that sounds even remotely like an original composition for a project that you put out to be sold, the original artist is entitled to be paid

• J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »

i think the difference here is that those dedication joints were given away for free. Wayne didnt profit off of those via a direct sale of the album, so he's not entitled to pay royalties

If you use anything that sounds even remotely like an original composition for a project that you put out to be sold, the original artist is entitled to be paid
    I would argue that Wayne did indeed profit off of those mixtapes, just like countless other artists profit off of similar mixtapes directly & indirectly. Regarding your second paragraph, artists always borrow verses and/or hooks from others....Chris Brown's 'Excuse Me Miss', Jay Z's 'Excuse Me Miss', etc..

I understand that Eminem is not really liked on this board, but it's clear that the ? suing him are just thirsty as hell for a quick come-up. If they successfully win this ? lawsuit, it will forever change how present & future artists create music. That's not good for the industry as a whole.