What could be done to curve the violence in black communities?

Options
13»

Comments

• BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    bruh, we still gon tease you for making a lame ass retirement thread like you were hired on the IC, and somehow you finally decided you were going to start drawing pension LOL

but seriously what made your alias seem so obvious was 1st the font, and then the tone of your posting style

for some reason I noticed when I starting posting on the regular you could start reading telltale signs of an individual poster's e-persona

you can also tell if a poster is male or female, younger or older, or possibly english isn't their 1st language

and that alias you made was way too familiar and Beamish for mofos not to peep that in GnS haha

Honestly, I could care less about the teasing.
    What, i'mma be hurt by people cracking jokes on the internet?

Please.
    Kimi assumed that I was being condescending by announcing my leave. False.
    Other assumed I thought I was important. False.

I just made my future plans known. That's it. Lame or not, it happened.
    If anything, what's condescending is jumping at the opportunity to tell others how unimportant you think they are.

And yeah, I should have known my alias would be too obvious, but it's only a testament to my genuine representation of myself on this site.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    Honestly, I could care less about the teasing.
    What, i'mma be hurt by people cracking jokes on the internet?

Please.
    Kimi assumed that I was being condescending by announcing my leave. False.
    Other assumed I thought I was important. False.

I just made my future plans known. That's it. Lame or not, it happened.
    If anything, what's condescending is jumping at the opportunity to tell others how unimportant you think they are.

And yeah, I should have known my alias would be too obvious, but it's only a testament to my genuine representation of myself on this site.

touche fam LOL

I hear you.........? ain't lost no e-respect for ya

*daps*
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    touche fam LOL

I hear you.........? ain't lost no e-respect for ya

*daps*

Preciate it.
    I just didn't want people acting funny towards me for no reason, you know?
    I wanna enjoy the time that I contribute here.

But anyway...
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Be responsible for yourself and those close to you because what may work for one person be not work for the other. You got people complaining its parenting yet I know plenty of associates who had botH parents ,came from a good household but are doing life in prison right now. Then you have people blaming the media yet y'all continue to support Tyler Perry movies and other films that send out the wrong messages.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i know this gon sound dumb,, But dont do stupid ? that you know thats wrong, to me its that simple..

im pretty sure most ppl know right from wrong
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    then explain places like Jamaica fam..............and even Haiti for that matter when the leadership is black

Kwame was a Mayor in one city in a majority white country

the current leadership in many Black majority countries is Black

ie. Sierra Leone, Somalia, Haiti, Jamaica, Ethiopia, etc.

passing the buck as saying black folks don't control their resources is a cop out and just appeasing to european ideals just as badly

black folks need to integrate with the rest of the world, but somehow we seem to be the only group who doesn't know how to assimilate and still maintain our heritage and culture

it's like we are the only minority group who has to choose to either completely adopt to the mainstream by totally white-washing ourselves, or stay within our own culture to the point it's almost regressive because we fear modernization SMH

and then blacks in America really struggle with identity, so AAs are very susceptible to this idea of having to choose essentially between what it means for them to be black or sell out

black folks need to start bringing their own individual ideas and efforts to the hoods, instead of just waiting for that next "leader" to try to guide us all on the same page.................a Malcolm or Martin prototype these days would do more damage to the hood then help it

AAs need to stop being so ready to be sheep IMO.........they also need to reaffirm their ties to their Black relatives overseas

1. explain Jamaica? easy. Jamaica is still a commonwealth realm. you have to blame the British Monarchy & they're political puppets. they set Jamaica up for failure.

2. BLACKS DO NOT CONTROL OUR OWN RESOURCES. WE ONLY GOT AT THE MOST 10 BILLIONAIRES AND PROBABLY NO FORTUNE 500 COMPANIES. we make paper, we don't control wealth.

3. I used Kwame as an example of the black over-class corruption which has dogged us and hindered our progress since the 1970's, and even earlier in Africa.

4. we have to get our own house right before we even consider integration. when u integrate as the lessor power, u always lose. white's are giving us the bedroom but not the controls. the Chinese took care of china before integration (they were pimped by the white man too, just like everybody else.) but they learned to put Chinese over everything. we have to learn to do the same for our kind. only then will we get respect.
  • allreasoned_out
    allreasoned_out Members Posts: 2,696 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Be responsible for yourself and those close to you because what may work for one person be not work for the other. You got people complaining its parenting yet I know plenty of associates who had botH parents ,came from a good household but are doing life in prison right now. Then you have people blaming the media yet y'all continue to support Tyler Perry movies and other films that send out the wrong messages.

Never seen his movies but from what I've heard it would surprise me if they encouraged street violence. Are they really good examples?
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Increase the rate of abortion in the hood.

Birth control, etc.
  • varealness
    varealness Members Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Options
    Honestly on some real ? , no one wants to say it, unity snitching is what will solve the problem. Us black folks have been condition to endure violence from long time, then rap with no snitching. No, I'm not talking about your boy who sell weed, or even coke to make ends meet. I'm taking murderers, at some point we got to draw the line and stand for our own communities.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    varealness wrote: »
    Honestly on some real ? , no one wants to say it, unity snitching is what will solve the problem. Us black folks have been condition to endure violence from long time, then rap with no snitching. No, I'm not talking about your boy who sell weed, or even coke to make ends meet. I'm taking murderers, at some point we got to draw the line and stand for our own communities.

Don't believe folks aint snitching.

About a year ago a young man was killed in my neighborhood. Detectives came door to door asking what we had seen and heard. Everyone in our neighborhood did what we could to assist as the young who was killed was only 15. My family and at least one other family that I know of provided video footage from our surveillance camera's which, assisted in the apprehension of the shooter.

Long story short. The Detective who was handling the case shared an interesting tidbit with my wife and I. He said, at the time of the investigation that they expect information to begin pouring in once they post the reward for information leading to an arrest\apprehension. So, my response was does that really work? The Detective said, "Family turns on Family" for reward money all the time.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To piggy back the things posted, the main things are:

Stability of a nuclear family. Stop letting these fatherless niggs round down and cause havoc.

Employment. People really don't bang if they got other things lines up.

Extra-curricular activities for youth, to keep them pre-occupied.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Relative poverty and no way to advance out of it is the biggest problem.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    To piggy back the things posted, the main things are:

Stability of a nuclear family. Stop letting these fatherless niggs round down and cause havoc.

Employment. People really don't bang if they got other things lines up.

Extra-curricular activities for youth, to keep them pre-occupied.

this has always been the problem i seen.

the most toxic and destructive and persuasive.
    these are the guys that make fukkery cool and anything remotely looking like someone wants to grow up as a bad thing.
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The current generation that's 15 to 25 is a lost cause if they don't already know better.

c0uok400cpqj.jpg

Just being real

The youngsters below that, only way to curve them from falling into the same traps is to get them out of the hood for days at a time. Into a different environment with different and diverse influences, to let them see the world is bigger than their block. More diverse and meaningful beyond the beliefs of the block.

And I say this, because this work for me and few others I know. When you are in it, you really don't know how much more is in this world than what you see on a daily basis.

Even though they got internet and tv, that ? don't seem real to them. That's why a lot of them play to much on live. ? ain't real till its gets real
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    so i was once in miami on my way back to philly in the airport.

two guy and two girl...i assume was from philly was on there way back aswell.

one of the guys facetimes his homie back in home...
    he was soo happy talking about jetskiing for the first times and not being able to swim but the life jacket had him going backwards....but just enjoying his story and happy as fukk, loud and proud.

his homie then asked him if they went to the hoods there.

you can kinda see him sink a bit and his whole demeanor changed.

he said he did but they didnt really want to go...the chicks talked them into it.

the whole time....his homie back homie was asking about how they hood look an all this ? .....

im sitting here like......this man cant even be happy without some ? about the hood coming back up.
    that to me is a toxic ass ? who cant be happy his freind went to miami. why did that even matter if he seen that ? or not....? was happy to be on a jetski and living a fun life. no telling what he might have to go back to. but that was his moment that a ? robbed him of.
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rap music an we to macho
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    starts at home.. start beating your kids .. in their sleep just in case they are thinking about doing something stupid.

:lol:
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

he was soo happy talking about jetskiing for the first times and not being able to swim but the life jacket had him going backwards....but just enjoying his story and happy as fukk, loud and proud.

he said he did but they didnt really want to go...the chicks talked them into it.

the whole time....his homie back homie was asking about how they hood look an all this ? .....

im sitting here like......this man cant even be happy without some ? about the hood coming back up.
    that to me is a toxic ass ? who cant be happy his freind went to miami. why did that even matter if he seen that ? or not....? was happy to be on a jetski and living a fun life. no telling what he might have to go back to. but that was his moment that a ? robbed him of.

Really how askin bout is basically sayin how the black people livin code word...an florida hoods are right by the beach..aint no beaches in philly??..
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

Really how askin bout is basically sayin how the black people livin code word...an florida hoods are right by the beach..aint no beaches in philly??..

so you gonna pay to go on vacation from a hood to see the hood?

so a ? cant be about anything else?

so black people only live in hoods?

think about what your saying
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I keep hearing "nuclear family" in this thread............

........but how many other threads have we seen condemning both marriage and monogamy?

Can't have it both ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R94t8E71Ct0

We're never gonna go back to them Old Days that Cosby was talking about, birth control changed everything and shotgun marriages are dead:
    "Around 1970, the United States experienced a reproductive technology shock. The legalization of abortion and dramatic increase in the availability of contraception gave women the tools to control the number and timing of their children. Over the ensuing 25 years, however, there have been huge increases in the number of single-parent families headed by unmarried mothers. The usual economic explanations welfare benefits and the declining availability of good jobs explain only a small fraction of the change. In our view, it was the technology shock itself that, by eroding the age-old custom of shotgun marriage, paradoxically raised out-of-wedlock birth rates instead of lowering them.

Since 1970, out-of-wedlock birth rates have soared. In 1965, 24 percent of black infants and 3.1 percent of white infants were born to single mothers. By 1990 the rates had risen to 64 percent for black infants, 18 percent for whites. Every year about one million more children are born into fatherless families. If we have learned any policy lesson well over the past 25 years, it is that for children living in single-parent homes, the odds of living in poverty are great. The policy implications of the increase in out-of-wedlock births are staggering.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/an-analysis-of-out-of-wedlock-births-in-the-united-states/

table_one.jpg

Until the early 1970s, shotgun marriage was the norm in premarital sexual relations. The custom was succinctly stated by one San Francisco resident in the late 1960s: “If a girl gets pregnant you married her. There wasn’t no choice. So I married her.”

Before 1970, the stigma of unwed motherhood was so great that few women were willing to bear children outside of marriage. The only circumstance that would cause women to engage in sexual activity was a promise of marriage in the event of pregnancy. Men were willing to make (and keep) that promise for they knew that in leaving one woman they would be unlikely to find another who would not make the same demand. Even women who would be willing to bear children out-of-wedlock could demand a promise of marriage in the event of pregnancy.

^^^^^ - this might as well be a foreign language to our generations, its completely alien to our way of life and thinking at this point

The increased availability of contraception and abortion made shotgun weddings a thing of the past. Women who were willing to get an abortion or who reliably used contraception no longer found it necessary to condition sexual relations on a promise of marriage in the event of pregnancy. But women who wanted children, who did not want an abortion for moral or religious reasons, or who were unreliable in their use of contraception found themselves pressured to participate in premarital sexual relations without being able to exact a promise of marriage in case of pregnancy. These women feared, correctly, that if they refused sexual relations, they would risk losing their partners. Sexual activity without commitment was increasingly expected in premarital relationships.

Advances in reproductive technology eroded the custom of shotgun marriage in another way. Before the sexual revolution, women had less freedom, but men were expected to assume responsibility for their welfare. Today women are more free to choose, but men have afforded themselves the comparable option. “If she is not willing to have an abortion or use contraception,” the man can reason, “why should I sacrifice myself to get married?” By making the birth of the child the physical choice of the mother, the sexual revolution has made marriage and child support a social choice of the father.

giphy.gif

• SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I seen a white man walking through Baltimore one day in one of the worse neighborhoods. I asked him was he afraid and he looked at me and calmly said "No". I said and why is that? He replied "because you guys only ? each other. I'm white so I have nothing to worry about."

this has the ring of ducktales to it.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I took the liberty to read news from most of the major cities this morning and noticed they all have one thing in common and that is a black man, women or child was killed as a result of gun violence. Living in a high crime area with limited resources you become a custom to thinking it's only that way in your city.

My question is what is it that makes black people so much more willing to use violence towards another person of the same color? What makes us so violent period?!

I seen a white man walking through Baltimore one day in one of the worse neighborhoods. I asked him was he afraid and he looked at me and calmly said "No". I said and why is that? He replied "because you guys only ? each other. I'm white so I have nothing to worry about."

I thought about it later that night on my way back to NJ and realized this white man had a point.

One story that stands out in my mind because I was there to see the aftermath of it. I was in Camden visiting some family when I came across a crime scene unlike anything I've ever witnessed.

4 year old Brandon was riding his little bike at 12 noon when an argument broke out between 2 drug dealers. Gunfire followed the argument. Brandon tried to flee to his mother's arms but was hit twice by .45 caliber slugs that ripped through his body.

At this time I was just getting to the house and the street was eerily quiet. I noticed bikes laying in the street, strollers flipped over and people peeking from windows. Then I heard the screaming. The mother ran to me with her blood covered little boy in her arms screaming for me to do something. I'm CPR certified because my job requires me to be. I convinced her to lay him flat on the pavement. He was bleeding out very fast. I could see he was shot. Neighbors started running with towels and water. I placed the towel over the hole but noticed the blood was still coming from somewhere else. Turned him on his side and noticed he has a second hole. This hole started to seep black blood which indicated the bullet pierced his kidney. By this time the police arrived and took over the scene, then fire trucks and EMT's came.

Standing there with his blood on us holding our breath hoping the EMT's could save him but they could not. He died at the scene. Right in front of his mother. I never seen anything so sad in my life. I cried for 2 days because I have a child also and I can't even imagine.

What are some of the things they are doing in your neighborhoods to stop the violence? Maybe some of the ideas could serve as a useful tool in your community.

Off the top of my head:
    1-Programs that are mandatory in schools that act as mentor projects. In my school we had one or two counselors who were like military men (One was an NFL Super Bowl winner named Danny Buggs who created a program called The Winning Circle) who every Friday would teach us what to expect in our community, where the opportunities were, and would make us do push ups and military drills but also encouraged communication and an opportunity for many of us without fathers to be around Black Men.

-After he did this and it was successful a new program called Sisters of the Circle was created for women.

2-father's being husbands or at least raising the children.
    3-hard drugs being kicked out the community
    4-technical schools offering free education that promises at least 85% of graduates a job (in return the graduates pay a 10% return for three years to the institution after they receive a job)
    5-Black run police forces.
    6-Artists/Politicians/Groups- Campaign on making it a Trend for Blacks/African Americans to engage in six trades (examples: real estate, engineering, distribution of products, agriculture, politics, banks) and provide a path of achievement for those who sign up on this. Also, require those who receive a job based off this program to pay a three year 10% tax back if they receive a job based off this programs recruiters having been responsible for that person getting that job. It has to be a trend to change the mindset from victim, no opportunity, drugs, violence, accepting bad living conditions as normal TO having those things be looked at as out of the ordinary.

7-A readjustment on who some of our women should find attractive as mates needs a new direction. It should be not be accepted as a norm (nor should we ostracize them either. Let me contradict myself: maybe we should negatively criticize the acceptance of immoral living if the alternative for the past 30 years in music has been to glorify.) to have gone to prison, have illegitimate children, not have a skill/trade. Women should not look at a successful man as soft, good guy and label him and not uplift him as much as a certain voice is heard that they want a thug, a short-tempered man, or a height preference at the sacrifice of a man with integrity and legitimate power.

8-A community program/network/hotline/internet website that allows for citizens who are vetted as legitimate to remain anonymous and be able to provide information/snitch (hahaha) on gangsters and drug dealers to bounty hunters or a black run/funded unit of force backed by the police who can enter into our communities and patrol them in order to BY FORCE eliminate/reduce loitering, drug dealing, gang activity. (Noone can ever get rid of gangsters, but they can be pushed further underground and be less an option/less attractive to youth if their POWER structure is attacked)

9-High Performance Schools (which don't currently exist) in inner cities where if you make less than a B you are kicked out. So therefore, the pressure and the trend becomes to value success and to not promote a passive attitude towards education. These schools can offer incentives such as college scholarships/jobs/.

-All these suggestions would not cure what a full on war with those who allow and profit by law and taxes the oppression of Black people and the infiltration of drugs internationally to reach our communities and the selling of illegal firearms along with dilapidated schools, and no return on our taxes with proper representation and funneling of our dollars BUT these suggestions could improve some situations to be less hurtful than they currently are.